Atlantis Asia Cruise

TimATL

Thanks Gary

- but my UK travel agent has tried to find out from them - and not even he has had this flyer.

Atlantis have great cruises but crap relations with their customers!

As we would be trying to book 'reward' flights and best to get these as soon as released, it will now be difficult to get them!

We shall just have to wait until they decide to let their CUSTOMERS know anything - after all we just keep them in business!

:rolleyes:

I agree it can be frustrating, but I think their approach is brilliant. The fact that it's difficult to "get it" makes most of us guys want it even more. After all, guys are all about the challenge! I keep in touch with all my Atlantis friends (some of whom work for the company) and visit the various travel sites regularly. I've never missed a cruise I really wanted to be on. Also, remember that there are always last minute cancellations, so get yourself on a standby list and you're likely to get on. What's more, when something is popular and sells out, they will always book it again the next year. I mean, this is a business. Baltic cruise has sold out two years in a row, so I'd be shocked if they didn't offer it again next year. Anyway, just my $.02...

I received that mailing also, and as was said, it only has about 10 words related to Asia, and only gives the dates. No ship name, no detailed itinerary, etc. , no pricing, no way to accept reservations, etc.

nothing to get your knickers in a twist.

To that end, as has ALSO been mentioned, the Asia cruise may not be completely finalized. Thus, that's why it's taking longer than normal to put this on sale. Yes, we've figured out the ship and the start-end points, but all else is up for discussion at this point.

It's already been discussed that Atlantis will [probably] put this on sale to Alumni first, probably in a manner similar to the First Baltics cruise. Only then will it open to general reservations.

When it does happen, there will probably be an email to alumni. Nothing goes on sale for the first time with simply a postal mailing. It's not efficient, and it's a waste of postage. Brand new vacations are either sold on ship (current cruisers on a similar time of year sailing), or via an email blast to alumni, stratified by number of past Atlantis vacations taken.

so, take a deep breath. Rich must be salivating at the thought of this cruise (well, duh!, that's a given) and how people are clamoring for it.

When it's ready, we'll all know.

as for the quotes below:

Atlantis have great cruises but crap relations with their customers!

Because they haven't put on sale a cruise that they may not be ready to put on sale?

As we would be trying to book 'reward' flights and best to get these as soon as released, it will now be difficult to get them!

We shall just have to wait until they decide to let their CUSTOMERS know anything - after all we just keep them in business!

:rolleyes:

You've been given the dates, and departure and end points. Book to your hearts content. You can always redeposit the miles if you have to change (yes, might be a fee if you aren't elite status with the airline, but that's the risk you take).

Not an Atlantis apologist, and they certainly screw up enough things to warrant some frustration. However, if they don't have the contract fully signed and/or there are marketable parts of this cruise that aren't nailed down yet, they'd be smarter to execute their plan as they see fit.

See you Hong Kong in 2009 :)

Well Guys - my UK based agent is now well upset with Atlantis!

He keeps being told that no more information is available - but look at what I have found!!!

Go to: http://www.gaytraveldestinations.com

This US agent has the full Itinerary for the Asia Cruise on the AZAMARA QUEST - as others have already mentioned - leaving HONG KONG on Saturday March 28 2009 and arriving SINGAPORE on Tuesday April 07 2009.

The cruise docks at 3 ports in Vietnam and then in Bangkok - you will find all information as above.

They state that the cruise is NOT YET on sale.

They are also offering pre and post cruise packages at the Intercontinental Hong Kong and Raffles Singapore.

I recommend the Intercontinental HK - it is one of my favourite all-time Hotels - fantastic location - and great service. My partner also recommends Raffles.

Whatever defence of Atlantis organisation has been posted on this site (and I reiterate that I love their product) I still maintain that their communication is just terrible. We just want to do an Asia cruise - and any 'build-up' in my view does not appeal to the profile of the customer they will get on this cruise.

In response to the person who told me about reward flights and airline status - I know all this - but cannot (even having the mileage available) even at this stage book on either BA Business or Virgin Upper- despite the flights hardly sold - so with the knowledge that HK flights are readily available will wait until closer before booking.

I hope this information is useful to everyone - perhaps we might have expected it from Atlantis:rolleyes:

I've added that website to my Favorites. Seems it gets info before the general public.

At the PV Resort Week 1 last Oct, Rich Campbell said he was trying to arrange 2 or 3 Viet Nam ports and an overnight in Bangkok. Looks as if he was able to do jus that.

I've sailed Oceania's Insignia and it's a sister ship to the Azamara Quest, so I pretty much know what to expect facilities-wise.

Like you, as soon as this cruise is available to Alums, I'm booking it. If I'm lucky it'll be offered to those of us on the London/Barcelona cruise with a little (very little) financial incentive. Hope so.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your research.;)

Hi Gary

Likewise-we were on the Atlantis Rio Cruise on Insignia - and more recently on RSVP Tahitian Princess. They are all the same ships - and we like very much!

It is amazing though how different the standards can be with different companies running them. Princess ruined a great ship!

Looking forward to seeing how Azamara (Celebrity) run this one - am expecting good things.

Peter

25may2008. 0800 pst. hello guys. the posting by gaytravel destinations for this cruise is some information. note however that there is no departure time from hong kong. the bangkok port has one arrival time and two departure times. caution. the pre and post cruise package is an offering by virtuoso travel. this is NOT the official atlantis events offering. the intercontinental Hong Kong is a fabulous property and is unlikely to need to sell/block off a large group of room for a group as atlantis. see ya all in Hong Kong. Peter

25may2008. 0800 pst. hello guys. the posting by gaytravel destinations for this cruise is some information. note however that there is no departure time from hong kong. the bangkok port has one arrival time and two departure times. caution. the pre and post cruise package is an offering by virtuoso travel. this is NOT the official atlantis events offering. the intercontinental Hong Kong is a fabulous property and is unlikely to need to sell/block off a large group of room for a group as atlantis. see ya all in Hong Kong. Peter

Yes, Peter, I thought the $1K pp per day was a little pricey even for Atlantis! So, I presumed that wouldn't be the eventual Atlantis-sanctioned pre- and post-cruise offerings. I'd really enjoy arriving in HK early enough to get a new linen sport coat hand-tailored and delivered before boarding the cruise. I've heard it's a 3 or 4-day turn around for that, but would appreciate info from fellow travelers who have experience on Hong Kong tailors.

I was already excited about London/Barcelona and now I'm even more excited about HK/Singapore. :) Just hope there are US airlines still operating in '09! :eek:

Well Guys - my UK based agent is now well upset with Atlantis!

He keeps being told that no more information is available - but look at what I have found!!!

Go to:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (edited out by HotlantaCruiser)

This US agent has the full Itinerary for the Asia Cruise on the AZAMARA QUEST - as others have already mentioned - leaving HONG KONG on Saturday March 28 2009 and arriving SINGAPORE on Tuesday April 07 2009.

.....They state that the cruise is NOT YET on sale......................

Whatever defence of Atlantis organisation has been posted on this site (and I reiterate that I love their product) I still maintain that their communication is just terrible. We just want to do an Asia cruise - and any 'build-up' in my view does not appeal to the profile of the customer they will get on this cruise.

I hope this information is useful to everyone - perhaps we might have expected it from Atlantis:rolleyes:

Thanks for the recommendation on hotels.

Again, I don't think that Atlantis is intentionally hyping, or not hyping this, just to try and stoke demand. Atlantis knows this is a high demand cruise, as it has been talked about in the Ask Atlantis session many times. Rich Campbell has addressed this exact cruise on at least 3 sessions that I've been to, and probably more. I honestly think that there is something related to this cruise that is not nailed down yet. Until he's got contract in hand, he can't legally sell it or take reservations for it. I'm sure that if he could put it on sale he would.

As someone else mentioned, independent travel agencies have been known to put things on their websites intimating that they have inside scoop, or otherwise "offer" vacations that aren't on sale yet. Case in point was the first Baltics cruise. There was a U.S. site who listed it months before Atlantis offered it. (I also think that they were asked to remove the listing, although that might be just rumour). Since Rich has said that this cruise will go on sale to Alumni first, I wouldn't get excited about any agency listing it on their site. Anyone can get the basic information from the Azamara website and piece together a possible itinerary. The fact that the agency in question said "it isn't on sale yet" should have been the first clue.

Again, there are enough things to get peeved at Atlantis, but I can't get too hacked just yet.

Good detective work Peter! Are you doing London to Barcelona?

Peter and Hotlantacruiser, I'm on the cruise and staying in the Atlantis hotel pre-cruise.

See you in the hotel or onboard, guys. It should be fun. :p

Keep your fingers crossed that we see the Asia cruise posted on the Alum site soon.

yes. see you in London... and in Hong Kong? Peter in Boston

Oh yes. We've had it penciled in for quite a while now. We're not doing anything in London pre-cruise in August, just relaxing and then schlepping to Harwich. Spending an extra 4 days in BCN, so no tears over no time in London. (Barcelona is my favorite city in Europe).

Not sure what we will do for Asia. Probably more days in HKG than SIN. We will head back to SIN once Sentosa is built out. Of course we're looking forward to Ankgor Wat. Much like Baltics last year, we'll be spending a ton on tours

See you in 2 1/2 months.

OH PLEASE! How uppity. This page wouldn't even exist if the build-up wasn't working.

You poor deluded quxxn!

Its just a business - get over yourself.

Some people merely like to plan ahead - that is all this is about!

:eek:

Hi members,

Our first post in this blog. We're looking for an Asia Cruise and ¡surprise! Atlantis has one... I find it in also on www.gaytraveldestinations.com. If we can, will book it during the London to Barcelona Cruise (if they offer it to Alumni...)

We are from Barcelona, so if anybody needs information about the city, contact us.

Agusti & Frederic

Atlantis - Caribean - RCCL Navigatior 2006

Atlantis - Buenos Aires to Rio - Oceania Insignia 2007

Atlantis - Caribean - RCCL Freedom 2008

Next-------------------------------------->>>>>>

Atlantis - London to Barcelona - Celebrity Constellation 2008

Atlantis - Caribean - Celebrity Solstice 2009

Has anyone received any pricing information on the Azamara Quest Asian cruise being sponsored by Atlantis? I noticed when reviewing the itinerary that it is a shortened and somewhat more cursory cruise than what Azamara offers directly on this itinerary. For example, when booking directly with Azamara, for the same cruise on different departure dates, you get an overnight in Hong Kong and one in Singapore on the ship. This saves on more costly hotel nights. I wonder if that is being done because its easier for Atlantis to get a greater markup on pre and post land packages than on the cruise itself.

Also Atlantis Asian cruise skips Hanoi altogether and substitutes a beach resort. Further the Atlantis cruise also skips Cambodia altogether. Finally the stay in Bangkok is much shorter on the Atlantis cruise and considering one port is 2.5 hours drive from Bangkok, arriving at 4 pm means you only have say 6 hours on the following day to see all of Bangkok before you need to start making your way back to port.

These differences make me very curious as to what the are going to charge compared to a regular Azamara cruise. DOES ANYONE HAVE THE PRICING YET?

SP

Has anyone received any pricing information on the Azamara Quest Asian cruise being sponsored by Atlantis? I noticed when reviewing the itinerary that it is a shortened and somewhat more cursory cruise than what Azamara offers directly on this itinerary. For example, when booking directly with Azamara, for the same cruise on different departure dates, you get an overnight in Hong Kong and one in Singapore on the ship. This saves on more costly hotel nights. I wonder if that is being done because its easier for Atlantis to get a greater markup on pre and post land packages than on the cruise itself.

Also Atlantis Asian cruise skips Hanoi altogether and substitutes a beach resort. Further the Atlantis cruise also skips Cambodia altogether. Finally the stay in Bangkok is much shorter on the Atlantis cruise and considering one port is 2.5 hours drive from Bangkok, arriving at 4 pm means you only have say 6 hours on the following day to see all of Bangkok before you need to start making your way back to port.

These differences make me very curious as to what the are going to charge compared to a regular Azamara cruise. DOES ANYONE HAVE THE PRICING YET?

SP

How do you have the exact itinerary yet? As was posted above, the one website claiming to have the details had at least one contradiction.

Not saying you're wrong, but there's a lot of speculation about this. Also, how long is the normal Azamara run? Rich Campbell has said in the past that it is impractical for him to market a 2 week cruise. 10-12 day cruise is the max, as US vacation schedules (and employer policies) make it difficult to sell a 14 day cruise with long haul travel added on both ends.

Again, I'm waiting for the specifics before I complain

How do you have the exact itinerary yet? As was posted above, the one website claiming to have the details had at least one contradiction.

Not saying you're wrong, but there's a lot of speculation about this. Also, how long is the normal Azamara run? Rich Campbell has said in the past that it is impractical for him to market a 2 week cruise. 10-12 day cruise is the max, as US vacation schedules (and employer policies) make it difficult to sell a 14 day cruise with long haul travel added on both ends.

Again, I'm waiting for the specifics before I complain

I wrote to Atlantis for more info and got an auto reply saying they would contact me within 48 hours but in the meantime the letter supplied a link to a specific itinerary. Here it the link Atlantis supplied. http://www.gaytraveldestinations.com/atlantis-events-offer-1015.html I supply a copy below for your convenience:

Date (2009)	Day	Destination	Notes	Arrive	Depart
Mar 28	Sat	1	Hong Kong, Hong Kong    

Mar 29	Sun	2	At Sea		 	 
Mar 30	Mon	3	Danang, Vietnam	for Hue	7:00AM	4:00PM
Mar 31	Tue	4	Nha Trang, Vietnam		10:30AM	5:00PM
Apr 01	Wed	5	Vungtau, Vietnam	for Ho Chi Minh	7:00AM	7:00PM
Apr 02	Thu	6	At Sea		 	 
Apr 04	Sat	8	Bangkok, Thailand
 	4:00PM
Apr 05	Sun	9	Bangkok, Thailand
7:00AM	5:00PM
Apr 06	Mon	10	At Sea		 	 
Apr 07	Tue	11	 Singapore    
7:00AM	 

Azamara Quest Itinerary that I am booked on for Jan 3 2009 can be viewed by clinking on this link

[/font]

Sorry If I misread your reply, but I took it to mean that Atlantis sent you correspondence that included that travel website link.

That is soooooooooo far out of the norm for them, so I'm going to assume that's not what you meant. I would be shocked if that were the case.

As per my phone conversation with Atlantis Reservations yesterday (when I was booking transfers for Lon-Bcn) the agent, Michael, gave absolutely no information about Asia or when (how) it might go on sale. Said he had no idea (which honestly probably isn't far from the truth);).

As I mentioned previously, the difference in itinerary/route/length etc is more likely about selling a marketable cruise for US pax. That means figuring out an itinerary that is within 10-12 days, and that links up with the cruise line's plans for the cruise before and after the charter. Why do people on this board naturally assume that any variation from a normal cruise itineray is intently done with an angle to gouge the price for Atlantis pax?

Again, I can't stress it enough, Rich has said over and over that with most people in the US getting 2-3 weeks vacation a year, it's very difficult (READ FINANCIALLY STUPID) to be on the hook for over $1mm, and then try to book an international cruise that is greater than 12 days. I'm sorry if this US centric approach doesn't sit well with our European friends, but Atlantis (and most of its customers) are Americans. He's targeting his product to his market. (We can all agree that with the strength of the Euro that he would be wise to expand his euro customer base, but that's a different thread).

Sorry If I misread your reply, but I took it to mean that Atlantis sent you correspondence that included that travel website link.

That is soooooooooo far out of the norm for them, so I'm going to assume that's not what you meant. I would be shocked if that were the case.

As I mentioned previously, the difference in itinerary/route/length etc is more likely about selling a marketable cruise for US pax. That means figuring out an itinerary that is within 10-12 days, and that links up with the cruise line's plans for the cruise before and after the charter. Why do people on this board naturally assume that any variation from a normal cruise itineray is intently done with an angle to gouge the price for Atlantis pax?

Two quick points. Basically I did a Google search using these three words "Atlantis Azamara Asia" That led me to http://www.gaytraveldestinations.com/ where the details were posted (sans price and it also says there that you cannot actually purchase the cruise yet). But surely it looks like a definite offering.

Now as to pricing, it is a fact that gay cruises, be it Atlantis or RSVP or whomever, always charge more than the cruise line for the identical itinerary. I have always made the comparison and the gay cruise is always more costly. Now that is not to say gay cruise operators are gouging their customers. It can be argued that more activities are provided, more entertainment. It also can be argiued that for many gay men, being on an all gay cruise is an "added value" for which they are a willing to pay a premium. That's not being gouged, that's paying for something that the customer finds to have added value.

Speaking only for myself, having lived in New York City all my adult life, at first in the West Village, then the Upper West Side, then Chelsea and finally in the East Village, and having worked for or owned businesses that focused on the gay market, and where the majority of the employees were gay,and having summered a dozen years or more in the Pines on Fire Island, well with all that gay "immersion" going on, taking an all gay cruise does not have much appeal UNLESS I am traveling with a group of gay friends and we intend on really letting go. Otherwise, I prefer to travel in a mixed crowd (which I find far more mentally stimulating) and if anyone gets upset because I walk arm in arm with another man for a once around the "promonade deck" before turning in, well its completely their problem and their upset, not mine because I don't give a damn what they think or say. I never have. So for that reason and speaking solely from a personal point of view, I don't find the premium charged worth it nor do I desire to have beach ports substituted for ports of greater substance and interest. BUT I AGREE THIS IS A VERY PERSONAL CHOICE and everyone is entitled to follow a different preference.

Let's not take this thread into that arena, as that's not what I meant by my earlier comments. It was you who stated that the change in duration and itinerary was possibly an attempt by Atlantis to gain more profit on the pre-post cruise packages.

As for this:

Two quick points. Basically I did a Google search using these three words "Atlantis Azamara Asia" That led me to http://www.gaytraveldestinations.com/ where the details were posted (sans price and it also says there that you cannot actually purchase the cruise yet). But surely it looks like a definite offering.

I think we've confirmed that A) there is an Asia cruise in the works, and B) that this agency listing is questionable at best, and is based on information that no-one else (on this or the other Atlantis forums) has been able to confirm/deny. (and there are a lot of people on the three main forums who would be in the know)

I still cling to the idea that there is something that is not yet nailed down with this contract. This should have already been on sale by now. I would have expected it to be on sale in mid May. We are quickly coming up on the first Europe cruise, and then the 2nd cruise overlaps that. This means that Rich will possibly be out of the country from sometime near the end of June, until at least July 20th, if he stays for both cruises. I highly doubt that Rich would put something like this on sale, if he was out of the country. That's just not consistent with past practice.

We'll see how it all plays out

Well let me close my contributions to this thread and HotlantaCruisers last entry with a famous quote from 1939: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." I am booked on the 1/3/09 Azamara Quest cruise along with 7 other FOD and we shall have a wonderful time at a much lesser per diem price then what is proposed for the Atlantis cruise (I now have price quotes on the Atlantis cruise but you will probably want to debate me on their factualness so I will leave you to do your own investigation). But let me just comment on what is already published on the web--namely that the price of the hotels for the pre and post cruise portion are 32-48% higher than a strange would get when he call the hotel and gets the rack rate

Finally if it isn't Atlantis sponsoring the Azamara cruise this spring, its someone. Azamara has removed the March 28th sailing of the Quest from their web site and believe me they wouldn't have done so without a firm commitment from someone to charter and fill the ship.

Now please take all this with a teaspoon of sugar (or perhaps a tablespoon of Equal) because it seems that all my comments are taken as attacks on either you or your beloved Atlantis, when in fact neither were intended. I was simply stating my opinion. I am not trying to get personal. And with that I sincerely wish you an enjoyable next cruise!!

Archived