Atlantis Asia Cruise

TimATL

I am hoping for a New Zealnd cruise on one of the Celebrity cruises. If it could be aligned with the Sydney Mardi Gras...wouldn't that be incredible.

That would be awesome! He keeps saying he is working on a New Zealand/Australia cruise. I hadn't thought about the possibility of aligning it with Mardi Gras! We would be first in line to book! :)

and it appears we are sold out

Anyone know if they even offered it, other than waitlist, to pax on the Navigator Europe? The page showed 4 classes open Friday evening before the the July 4th holiday, then it seemed to be sold out over the weekend, when I wouldn't have expected Atlantis reservations to be open. I assumed they blocked what was left for the Europe pax, but with demand that brisk, it could have sold out that Saturday.

Either way, it will be like homecoming with so many alumni. (most of whom will be on the London/Barcelona cruise I'm sure).

Wikipedia has a fantastic picture of the evening Hong Kong skyline. It's a massive file, so may take some time to download. However, the level of detail is amazing.

It's like New York on steroids and in Technicolor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hong_Kong_Night_Skyline.jpg

ONce the pic loads in the separate window, click on it again, and you'll get the full version (slow to load). from there, you can navigate around, and zoom in. VERY COOL

Hotlanta, That photo is the best I've seen! Thanks for sharing the link! I am so excited about this cruise and it's going to be my first time in Asia.

I can't decide which stop is the most enticing. My partner and I already booked the air and now we're debating where to stay in Hong Kong (I just love researching the options and neighborhoods.)

just an FYI ... Just back from the Baltic cruise and Rich said there would be two Asia cruises back to back in March 2010 on a bigger (2000 person) ship. One leaving Beijing to Hong Kong with several stops in Japan. The other from Hong Zong to Singapore with similar itinerary to the one in 2009.

He also said the contracts have been signed for sydney new Zealand 2010 cruise on Celebrity( I think it was the Millineum) 2000 person. Two days in Sydney for Mardi Gras then leaving Monday for New Zealand with stops in Wellington , Christchurch , and Auckland .

Looks like 2010 will be a greet year for cruises.

Thanks, bhumd, for the 2010 update. Wow! :eek:

I've been waiting for the Australian/NZ/Mardi Gras cruise to come back around and I'm booking it as soon as it's offered to Alums. I know the general Celebrity itinerary (it's usually 14 days, though) and hope Rich keeps most of the usual Celebrity ports on the Atlantis charter.

Since I'm on the London/Barcelona Labor Day cruise, you can bet that I'll confirm everything then and try to find out when booking is likely to begin. I'll share any more info with the Board.

OMG! Now I have to start daydreaming for the next 18 months!

Great news.

Rich also mentioned that the syd-new zealand would go on sale to alumni in late fall... Nov sometime... But maybe you'll be lucky and they'll offer to the london-Barcelona people.

He also said that he expects at least a 200 person turnover based on previous experience for the 2009 Asia cruise so if you want to go, get on the waiting list and you'll have a good chance!

Rich also mentioned...that he expects at least a 200 person turnover based on previous experience for the 2009 Asia cruise so if you want to go, get on the waiting list and you'll have a good chance!

I was so discouraged by the delay in Atlantis's providing info on the Asian cruise that I booked another spring '09 vacation. While I was hoping for a repeat in '10 (and it sounds like there will be), I'm much more interested in the '10 Aus/NZ cruise.

Now, if they'll let me book that on our Labor Day cruise, I'll be forever beholden to Rich et al.

Thanks, again, for the great info. :)

Boy will I book.

Gary...finally we can meet.

Then again maybe with cancellations you will reconsider the 2009 Asia trip. I'm doin a share and could use a roomie.

As for New Zealand...I have done the Sydney MardiGras....its really a fantastic experience and would relive it in a heart beat. believe me, being a yank in the bars on Oxford stree is a lot of fun...even mid afternoon.

Now to figure out if I can get on the ship....whether it will be available to Alumni first remains to be seen. If they offer it up to the guys on this falls Mexico cruise...the least expensive cabins could go quick. I believe Pied Piper does this cruise every year...in January, wonder when Rich will schedule it.

hey Gary...if I choose to fly out of San Fran to Hong Kong in March rather than LA...maybe we can meet for dinner. Its a long way off, but then this year is flying by....Sell the house, move, get a rental apartment till December....sail on the maiden voyage of the Solstice...leave work Dec 1st......hopefully move into the Florida house the end of the year....sail on the RSVP cruise in late Feb....do the Atlantis cruise late March....find a significant other....wait till November to do my Atlantic crossing...then wait for the new Zealand cruise in 2010...gee, I need a rich husband or a generous benefactor.:D

Boy will I book.

hey Gary...if I choose to fly out of San Fran to Hong Kong in March rather than LA...maybe we can meet for dinner.

gee, I need a rich husband or a generous benefactor.:D

From your lips to God's ear, Tom! And if he has a brother (older/younger, doesn't matter to me), send him my way!

Absolutely we can meet for dinner if you're passing through SFO en route to Hong Kong...or on the return...or both! Just let me know the details of your itinerary when it's available.

Wish I could do the Asia cruise, but I have committed to two weeks with friends in a condo on the north shore of Kaua'i in May '09 and that's my spring '09 travel budget. So, unless you send that brother of the rich husband/generous benefactor my way soon, I can't do both. :(

RE: Syndney Mardi Gras, I think a few years ago the party planners set exact dates (unrelated to the actual fluctuating Mardi Gras) and I believe it's sometime in mid-February. So, it won't be the same time as Pied Piper's early January cruise. But, it will be a similar itinerary, I'm sure. I'm really excited about this one. Aus/NZ is on my "Bucket List." :p

Cheers, Tom, and good luck on the job change/relocation.

I can't decide which stop is the most enticing. My partner and I already booked the air and now we're debating where to stay in Hong Kong (I just love researching the options and neighborhoods.)

We booked on the Kowloon side. The view in that picture is from "the peak" back across Hong Kong (Central/Admiralty/Wan Chai) looking across the harbor to Kowloon.

Kowloon will have the opposite view. Actually staying on the HK side probably won't have a hotel view like the picture, as you're too much "in it" to appreciate it. I would imagine that only the priciest and hardest to get suites will have any view of comparable impact. From the Kowloon side, you will have mutliple opportunities to look across the harbor at the amazing skyline (both day and night).

the MTR (subway) is cheap/convenient, and taxis are relatively inexpensive. Another plus for staying on the Kowloon side is that the Cruise ships dock on the Kowloon side (you can see two of them in the picture if you zoom in to the left of the International Finance Center (largest building in the foreground).

We are so stoked (only disappointment is hearing of the back to back Beijing to Singapore offering for 2010).

Forget the back to back in 2010...go for the New Zealand cruise. I will get on that cruise some how...and hope to find a roomie.

Tom, for the Aus/NZ cruise I'll be looking for a roommate, too. Interested? Contact me at sfgoguy@comcast.net and we can discuss type of cabin, etc.

You have more Atlantis Alum "credits" than I, so you'll get a higher priority (unless they offer it to us on the London/Barcelona cruise).

Let's talk.;)

On my lunch break at work. Will contact you from home.

As to a room share.....consider it a dine deal. As to cabin...yes we can discuss. As a share, the pricing may allow for a veranda...or at least a window.

This type of trip I think lends itself to having a room mate because1. Port intensive 2. a chnace to share experiences even if you do totally different excursions....you have someone to share your thought. I did the single cabin on the Rio cruise and half way through the cruise wish I had taken a room mate.

As New Zealand is on the top of my to do list this will work out great!

we both can get to see what a Kiwi tastes like wink wink wink:p

just an FYI ... Just back from the Baltic cruise and Rich said there would be two Asia cruises back to back in March 2010 on a bigger (2000 person) ship. One leaving Beijing to Hong Kong with several stops in Japan. The other from Hong Zong to Singapore with similar itinerary to the one in 2009.

He also said the contracts have been signed for sydney new Zealand 2010 cruise on Celebrity( I think it was the Millineum) 2000 person. Two days in Sydney for Mardi Gras then leaving Monday for New Zealand with stops in Wellington , Christchurch , and Auckland .

Looks like 2010 will be a greet year for cruises.

I looked at the Celebrity site and I think I have worked out the schedule for the Millennium cruise from Sydney to Auckland on Atlantis. The Millennium gets to Sydney on the morning of Saturday, February 27, 2010 and the next regularly scheduled cruise on the ship is March 10 from Auckland. Since the Mardi Gras parade is always held on a Saturday at the end of February or beginning of March (this year it was March 1), that would mean that Atlantis would charter the ship starting on Feb. 27 - the night of the parade (gulp) and then the ship would depart for Auckland on Monday, March 1.

I can't imagine taking the long flight to Sydney and going to the parade that evening so I am thinking of getting to Sydney about a week earlier if I book the cruise. If you look at hotel accommodations around the parade date you will find that they sell out way in advance and all hotels seem to require at least a three night stay accompanied by rates that usually double during the dates around the parade. But I'm sure it is worth it.

Also for consideration is the fact that you will fly to Sydney and the return flight would be from Auckland.

Since the Mardi Gras parade is always held on a Saturday at the end of February or beginning of March (this year it was March 1), that would mean that Atlantis would charter the ship starting on Feb. 27 - the night of the parade (gulp) and then the ship would depart for Auckland on Monday, March 1.

I can't imagine taking the long flight to Sydney and going to the parade that evening so I am thinking of getting to Sydney about a week earlier if I book the cruise.

Rich may take a play from the RSVP game book and include 2 nights at a Sydney hotel prior to boarding the ship. (Not a pre-cruise option, just included in the price of the event, which of course will reflect the hotel stay.) RSVP is doing that for their '09 European river cruises.

I'm on the London/Barcelona cruise in 4 weeks and will find out more then, guys. And, if I'm allowed to book Aus/NZ, I'll do it in a "NY minute."

• 2 weeks later...

My TA called me and said I should get my you know what in gear and get flights booked.

I looked over all the choices considering I will depart from Tampa which does nothing direct. Boy did I get spoiled flying out of Philly all these years and all the non stop flights.

Well its Tampa to Denver to San Francisco on 3/24. Overnight and depart San Fran on United's no stop to Hongkong on 3/25. This allows for a 2 night precruise stay which Atlantis is doing.....hotel not yet known. Return is on 4/9 (after 2 night post cruise) again Atlantis hotel to be determined.

My TA says Atlantis will know the hotel within a few weeks.

So I get to sleep over in San Francisco going out...

Question: If I choose a hotel near the airport for convenience, how difficult is it to get into the gay neighborhood to dine at a gay restaurant? I have no knowledge of the area and would like to take in some of the sights without making it too late a night. I have made the mistake of getting on a flight out of LA after being really bad ....a hangover on a trans Pacific flight is deadly.

By the way......boy did I save money on my flight by using the internet (guidance from my TA to do so). She came up with a price of @ $1540 for the California Hong Kong Singapore California itinerary. The price for the Tampa- San Fran, San Fran- Tampa was an additional $500.

I got it for $1398 from Tampa and all the way back! All one airline...United. Is that a savings or what!

Now I can afford to buy Gary a shrimp cocktail in Frisco if he is available:p

Anyone else booking flights?

By the way the United flight out is #869 on 3/25. if you are on the same flight...let me know. Thank heavens its a 747...room to move about and chase the cute flight attendants.:D

Tom

Tom, why don't you plan on staying that one SF lay-over night with me in the City? Chances are very good that I well be on the same United outbound SFO/Sydney flight, anyway.

Is your post-cruise return from Aukland or back to Sydney than on to the US? I don't think United flies from Aukland, so if you're flying back directly from Aukland, you're probably on a United code-share with Air New Zealand.

Anyway, we've all got time to get it all sorted. And, I'll be sure to report to everyone any updated info from Rich from the London/Barcelona cruise.

Hope all's well with the FL move, Tom. :)

Tom, why don't you plan on staying that one SF lay-over night with me in the City? Chances are very good that I well be on the same United outbound SFO/Sydney flight, anyway.

Is your post-cruise return from Aukland or back to Sydney than on to the US? I don't think United flies from Aukland, so if you're flying back directly from Aukland, you're probably on a United code-share with Air New Zealand.

Anyway, we've all got time to get it all sorted. And, I'll be sure to report to everyone any updated info from Rich from the London/Barcelona cruise.

Hope all's well with the FL move, Tom. :)

I think you two have become confused. Can't book for 2010 flights yet. He was talking about the 2009 Asia cruise. Too much cross pollenation on these two cruise topics.

However, if you are booked on the 2009 Asia cruise and haven't booked airfare yet you are really taking a chance. Most carriers are already cutting flights and routes (ex Thai has discontinued NYC to BKK, and cut LAX to BKk to four days per week from six). Translation any more cancellations of service will consolidate pax onto fewer flights causing prces to go up IF you can find seats at all.

My post was concerning the 2009 HongKong to Singapore cruise on Azamara. Sorry if I was confusing in my post.

I did get confirmations on all my seat assignments...and yes the planes are at least half full already. I still cant get over the difference in prices comparing various internet sites as well as what my TA found on her programs. Travelocity and Cheap tickets differed for the same flights. I have now learned to pick flights and then compare the various internet sites......believe it or not the air carrier sites were the highest...go figure.

When it comes to the 2010 cruise...I am going to ask Atlantis if they can get Air NewZealand to do a pink flight again...heaven knows we could fill the plane.

Now to hope the cost of the Atlantis hosted hotels precruise and post cruise dont break the bank. Now if they could get a reasonable group rate at the Penninsula......oh baby!

Tom

while not an official pink flight, the Continental flight from Stockholm on the day after last year's Atlantis Baltics cruise was about as pink as you could get with a non-charter flight. Most of the Atlantis entertainment staff, Team Atlantis folks and probably 95 pax were onboard as well. The only thing missing was a disco ball.

I think you two have become confused. Can't book for 2010 flights yet. He was talking about the 2009 Asia cruise. Too much cross pollenation on these two cruise topics.

Yes, I was much too preoccupied with thoughts of the porported AUS/NZ cruise in 2010. Sorrry.

But, Tom, you're still invited to spend that one night SF layover in '09 on your way to Hong Kong. Save your US$ for a special souvenir or to reimburse Azamara for painting over the footprints on the ceiling of your cabin! ;)

If you're interested, hit me up at my e-mail address. I believe you have it. While you're in SF we can talk about the 2010 AUS/NZ cruise and a cabin share.

Ceiling foot prints! Didn't have that on the sister ship Insignia on the Rio trip. But having to pay for the damaged mosaic tiles in the mens sauna...now that was exspensive...and painful :D

I would not impose on you for the night, but would love to meet for dinner a beverage and lots of talk about the 2010 cruise. Still think you should do this trip...there are always cancellations....and you know you want to go.

You could work the boat, recoupe your expenses and then still hit Hawaii.

Or.....get on the Eurodam (RSVP) and we can plan the down under trip

Archived