Any diabetics onboard

Wags67

My BIL takes a shot 1x at night for his diabetes. Since we are staying in a balcony (which doesn't have a fridge in it) I was curious if there are any issues with keeping the medication in a cooler with ice refilled daily. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for any suggestions.:)

When we boarded the Victory last week and met our room steward Roy for the first time one of the questions he asked us and marked down on his sheet was if there were any diabetics in our room. We aren't but it does show that they are aware that there are passengers that need their shots and they are prepared to take care of helping you so you should have no problems. Enjoy your cruise !

My BIL takes a shot 1x at night for his diabetes. Since we are staying in a balcony (which doesn't have a fridge in it) I was curious if there are any issues with keeping the medication in a cooler with ice refilled daily. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for any suggestions.:)

I thought all cabins on that ship had fridges? especially the balcony. It should be in the cabinet under the safe area.

Anyway, they will tell you if you do not have a fridge, that you can store it at the pursers desk. Just a hassle is all.

I do not take insulin. just pills, so that is not a problem with me. Take you a small insulated cooler or insulated mug and keep it on ice..

what kind of insulin is he on? Most (but not all) insulin can now be kept at room temperature. I know there is at least one (if not two) that the mfg recommends refrigeration after opening. I know that Lantus (many Type 2s take it) is only good for 28 days after it's opened...refrigerated or not. My DD was on Lantus and Novalog before she got her pump and we didn't keep (nor do we her Novaolog now) the bottle refrigerated AFTER it's opened. She goes through a vial in a little over a week anyway so we never have to worry about hitting that 28 day mark.

I also believe in some cases you can request a refrigerator for medical necessity, but I've heard it doesn't exactly keep "cold" either.

Hi, I am a diabetic with a pump also. I have never kept my open bottle of insulin in the fridge, just keep my unopened supply refrigerated. Hope this helps. Have a fun and safe cruise. 34 more days until Freedom.:D

I'm not sure what kind he is on. When we were talking about the cruise, my SIL asked if there were fridges onboard because BIL had to fridge his insulin. She then made a comment about upgrading to a suite for the fridge and after seeing prices for the suite:eek: I told her I'd check into it for her. I know things will be fine, I'm just unfamiliar about insulin.

:) Again thanks for info:)

My husband is insulin dependent and has never had a problem storing his insulin. He takes 3 shots per day and measure his blood sugar. He keeps it in the cabin ref. or has a mini cooler with him and throws an ice cube in to make sure it does not get warm when we leave the ship. We bring a small day pack and the cooler fits in it along with snacks, etc.

Cruising is good for diabetics because of the regular meal times. They just have to be careful not to over indulge. :)

There are sugar-free desserts, low fat entrees, available at every meal. Not nearly as many choices as on RCCL, but there are some including diet ice cream at any meal. Any room can have a fridge upon request, but remember to ask for a disposal receptacle. Don't fret a whole lot if you over indulge, because you do a lot of walking on port days. I am type 2 and have not had any problems stuffing myself at dinner... I just bypass the fruity drinks and dessert (i wish they had sugar free melting cake)

My wife is diabetic. When we were on the Valor last January, the room had a refrigerator and had no problems. On the Liberty last June, the "refrig" never got cold and maintenance wouldn't or couldn't do anything about it.

So, we arranged for our cabin steward to give us 3 containers of ice each day and thats where my wife stored her insulin. It worked fine and we had no problems with that.

Upon our return, I complained to Carnival about the Refrigerator and received a $100 shipboard credit for our next cruise.

I am glad I happened upon this question as my DH is now taking Byetta and it is working wonders for his blood sugar. It needs to be kept cold. He was behaving himself with his diabetes his PCP was not listening to him about Avandia not working so he switched to a new MD that he really likes and he switched him and actually took him off another drug and he feels so much better:) .

I am glad I happened upon this question as my DH is now taking Byetta and it is working wonders for his blood sugar. It needs to be kept cold. He was behaving himself with his diabetes his PCP was not listening to him about Avandia not working so he switched to a new MD that he really likes and he switched him and actually took him off another drug and he feels so much better:) .

That's it...Byetta...I knew there was one that needed to be kept cold.:D

When I read all this is the times I'm glad DD is on the insulin regimen that she is on and that IF she has to be a diabetic, that I'm glad she is Type 1. Not having to worry about keeping the insulin cold at all times and eating is much easier. She still has to eat smart, but in counting her carbs for her insulin bolus....sugar free and sugared aren't that big of a difference. Pasta, potatoes and fruit are a pain though....lots and lots of carbs.

Carnival had a Sharps container in my cabin waiting for me when we boarded.

I am lucky that I am not insulin based at least for now. It came in handy for my testing needles and strips.

I just have to warn you about one thing. My husband insisted I order the sugar-free apple pie. Now I eat ALOT of sugar free things but this is one thing that will never cross my lips again. It was bad. Tasted like cardboard. Being a diabetic I can have Cinnamon. Carnival needs to know this.

Mine in due to carbs not sugar and I had a great waiter who every night made sure I checked out the spa menu. He knew I was diabetic.

My grandma is diabetic and when she goes on a cruise, or on vacation somewhere and doesn't have a fridge, they ask the room steward to keep the ice bucket full. They also have a lunch pack thing where they put in a freeze element if they'll be out and about, she injects 3x a day. Just let the steward know that it's something you need, and they'll do it for you without problems.

Contact Carnival's Guest Access at (800) 438-6744 Ext 70025.

There is a form they will e-mail or fax you and in it you can note that you need refrigeration for the Insulin. They wil either arrange for the Medical facility to store it for you or provide a small portable refrigerator to your cabin.

Also by filling out this form, the cabin steward gets alerted that he will need to provide a sharps disposal container, and the Dining Room Maitre 'D (and assistants) will come and check with you first night on any special dietary needs.

Byetta has now (for at least the last year) been approved to be at room temperature for 28 days after opening. All of my insulins (Lantus and Humolog) along with my Byetta are never refrigerated during my trips and they are fine. Just dont leave them in the sun or a hot car. If you feel safer keeping them cold go ahead.

As LornaT said if you contact Carnival they will provide all you need for your meds & disposal of any needles. My son has MS & our PVP took care of everything for him last cruise & this one coming up. Also we have a toddler traveling with us this cruise & PVP requested a crib ( I am sure it will be a porta crib) for us this time. Carnival is very accomadating..And all the more reason I use a PVP he is wonderful & takes care of everything for us, we never have to contact anyone but him...:D

As LornaT said if you contact Carnival they will provide all you need for your meds & disposal of any needles. My son has MS & our PVP took care of everything for him last cruise & this one coming up. Also we have a toddler traveling with us this cruise & PVP requested a crib ( I am sure it will be a porta crib) for us this time. Carnival is very accomadating..And all the more reason I use a PVP he is wonderful & takes care of everything for us' date=' we never have to contact anyone but him...:D [/color']

your PVP sounds like my PVP. He is an exceptional person. considering that he calls me when i have been in the hospital to see how I am, and is concerned about other family members, etc. He takes care of everything. Lets me choose my cabin, gives me the best deals avaiable, even if not advertized yet, knows us all by name.

I have considered sailing from Miami just to meet him. I am sure he would come see us off if he knew we were going to sail from there.

I'm having trouble arranging for a sharps container. When my wife and I were on the Paradise last November, there was no problem. I notified Carnival corporate and one was in our cabin when we boarded. When I notified Carnival corporate for an upcoming April cruise, they replied that I should inform housekeeping on board the ship. Has anyone dealt with housekeeping on the ship to obtain a sharps container? Thanks

I'm having trouble arranging for a sharps container. When my wife and I were on the Paradise last November, there was no problem. I notified Carnival corporate and one was in our cabin when we boarded. When I notified Carnival corporate for an upcoming April cruise, they replied that I should inform housekeeping on board the ship. Has anyone dealt with housekeeping on the ship to obtain a sharps container? Thanks

I know here, you can get a small one at the local chain pharmacies. They would fit easily into suitcase. Might be a good idea to pick one up just in case you have issues getting one when you board.

Just before our last cruise, I started taking Byetta and knew that we didn't have a fridge in our cabin on the Celebration. I went to Walmart and purchased a travel fidge that holds a couple of cans of Diet Coke. It fit perfectly in a suitcase along with my Diet Cokes that I brought with me.

My DH is diabetic. I called Carnival Speical Services and they will have everything ready for us when we board in October. There is a medical form that he has to fill out with his Dr. and we will have a small fridge brought in for the cruise. Oh by the way we will be staying in an inside room.....No problems!

My DH is diabetic. I called Carnival Speical Services and they will have everything ready for us when we board in October. There is a medical form that he has to fill out with his Dr. and we will have a small fridge brought in for the cruise. Oh by the way we will be staying in an inside room.....No problems!

it does not say your doctor has to fill it out. I have to fill one out for every cruise. I am diabetic, and have other medical conditions. Too many to list on the form. I just attach a homemade list of all medical conditions, meds, and frequency, doctors names, emergency contact, and food and drug allergies on it. This is a necessity with me even when not traveling.

My doctor never fills out the form with me. Unless they send you a different one than me...

Archived