Paradise Beach Snorkeling

raytownlady

Since our stop at GC is now cancelled, we still want to get in some snorkeling.

We were already planning to visit PB I understand they do have some snorkeling there. How far out is the reef from the shore and how deep is the water there? I'm not the strongest swimmer and wouldn't want to go too far out there in the open water. :D

Thanks

I just went snorkeling at PB last week. Out past the iceberg there are some coral formations and some fish. Closer to shore, I did see some schools of fish, but definately not the best snorkeling I have seen. Water is clear and beautiful though and when I go back to Cozumel next year, I want to take my husband to PB and just enjoy the scenery for the day. I LOVE PARADISE BEACH!!!!!

I just went snorkeling at PB last week. Out past the iceberg there are some coral formations and some fish. Closer to shore, I did see some schools of fish, but definately not the best snorkeling I have seen. Water is clear and beautiful though and when I go back to Cozumel next year, I want to take my husband to PB and just enjoy the scenery for the day. I LOVE PARADISE BEACH!!!!!

Thanks CINDYSUE for your reply, how far from the shore was it to the iceberg?

And how deep would you say the water was out there. I am always a little over cautious in the ocean especially when I don't know how deep the water is. So would you reccommend PB for snorkeling or should I look for someplace other than PB?

Thanks

If your not a good swimmer then I would not recommend swimming out to it. :eek: The iceberg is approximately 15-20 yards off the beach (as of June 2004). The corral formations are approximately 40-50 yards past the iceberg with a water depth of close to 12-20 feet deep. You could use one of the kayaks and paddle out and snorkle from there. Much less work.

If you are looking for high quality snorkling then I would snorkle elsewhere. I do recommend PB and plan on visiting there again this spring. :D

In general, nice sandy beaches and very good snorkeling are mutually exclusive. It take a rocky surface for the coral to grow on, and it is the coral that attracts most of the fish.

Chankanaab Park and Dzul Ha both have rocky shoreline and much better snorkeling. You could first stop at Dzul Ha for an hour or two of snorkeling, then head on down to Paradise for lunch and some well earned relaxation.

If you really want a good idea of what Cozumel looks like are where all the things are located, I highly recommend the Cozumel map from cancunmap.com Best $7 you can spend preparing for your stop in Coz.

As a first-time snorkeler, I enjoyed Chankanaab Park! You can even see the fish as you're getting into the water. The entry to the water is down some steps on a craggy shore, the reef is right there, so LOTS of beautiful fish also underwater statues not far out. On my cruise in November, I plan to snorkel at Chank, then go to Paradise Beach for the rest of the day.

Definitely wouldn't recommend PB for snorkeling. WE were just there in August. I'm a very beginner at snorkeling and not a strong swimmer, either. We tried to go out to where there supposedly was good snorkeling, but there was a strong current and it was just too far. Even my husband, who IS a strong swimmer thought the current was too tiring. Go to Chankanaab instead if you want to snorkel. We've been there twice [ I didn't snorkel then, but husband and son did and said it was really nice].

Archived