Best month for Alaska cruise?

EastTexans2

I went to Alaska last Sept and didn't have a balcony. I figured I could just see the views from the rest of the ships areas.

Well this year, I'm going back the last day of Aug so it's pretty much the same time of year. I got a balcony room!!! I was so sorry I didn't have one last time.

When you cruise the glacier area EVERYONE is out of their rooms and the spaces are crowded. I missed a lot!

I wanted to go back to Alaska in May because that is when the bears are just waking up and you have a good chance of seeing them and all the baby bears. But, if you get there before to late in Sept you still have a great chance of seeing bears.

I'm going to bundle up and sit on my balcony a lot. Even if it rains. To me Alaska should be cold and that is part of the fun. I would hate to be there when it's hot. I get enough hot here in CA. I want cold days and nights.

We went to Alaska mid May and I thoroughly enjoyed having a balcony. Of course, it wasn't quite like sailing the Caribbean or Mexico, when I sit on the balcony in my jammies for morning coffee. We were lucky and had great weather and the temps were in the sixties. Started on the open decks for Glacier Bay viewing. That did not last long as we found we had the same view from our balcony and we were more comfortable. What some enjoy, others may not. Balcony or not, you'll have a great cruise and see beautiful scenery.

Diane

We took our 1st Alaska cruise last Aug. as a last-minute deal from Prin -- we ALWAYS get a balcony in Caribbean & use it ALOT! For this deal we took INSIDE on high deck & cabin was only 2 away from door to aft open public deck!!! So within a few steps we had our "semi-private" balcony -- aft is less windy & was partially covered from any rain! It was a DELIGHTFUL alternative to Balcony!!

This summer we're doing B2B on Veendam & Island Prin with outside obstructed-view cabins that are close to exits to exterior Promenade decks -- we'll see how we like this type location.....on Veendam cabin is on same walking deck and on Isl Prin just 1 level above the Prom deck but we're close to stairs.

We did not even consider a balcony for this trip -- we did alot of wandering from side to side -- sometimes the view & wildlife/whales were on port & 15 min later on starboard, so if on your balcony you will miss something on other side!

Archived