deck 10 aft balcony?

lowerdegrl

So on all ships deck 10 aft balcony are bigger balconys than others even if they are a BA cabin just like starboard or port sides. Including the GEM?

The deck 10 BA aft balconies on Gem are much larger than the standard BA balconies in other areas of the ship. I've read they are approx. 8ft deep. This is also the case on the Jewel and Pearl. We have one booked for our upcoming transatlantic on the Gem on April 19.

We had 10668 and the balcony was very large. Can fit two chairs and two loungers! I didn't see all of the decks 8&9 balconies, but looking down from above it appears that deck nine might be about a foot smaller, and deck 8 close to a normal size balcony.:)

We have cruised on the Jewel in cabins 10668 and 8634, and on the Dawn in cabin 9738. They are one of the two BA cabins on the centerline of the ship, tucked in between the suites. There are two each on decks 8, 9 and 10. If we can't have one of those, we'll book another ship. Both my DW and I cannot remember one balcony being larger than the others. Looked at our balcony shots of all three cruises and still cannot see any (appreciable) difference.

drbabe, I'm with DJ Dale. No aft cabin = no cruise for us.

We have cruised on the Jewel in cabins 10668 and 8634, and on the Dawn in cabin 9738. They are one of the two BA cabins on the centerline of the ship, tucked in between the suites. There are two each on decks 8, 9 and 10. If we can't have one of those, we'll book another ship. Both my DW and I cannot remember one balcony being larger than the others. Looked at our balcony shots of all three cruises and still cannot see any (appreciable) difference.

Thanks for the info. Now I'm totally confused. When we made our reservations we were told the balconies are standard size. Now I've been told deck 10's are very large and the others a bit smaller and you indicated they're all the same size. Are they standard size balconies?

Thanks so much everyone for your help. Funny thing we made our reservation last Friday on Jewel which leaves March 9th. Is it common to get a cabin like this on such short notice? (This is our first time on NCL.)

My guess is someone got an upsell and their room became available.

Aft rooms get booked way in advance. I usually book my aft about 9 months prior to the cruise.

You will enjoy your room and you'll see why we all love the afts so much ;0)

My guess is someone got an upsell and their room became available.

Aft rooms get booked way in advance. I usually book my aft about 9 months prior to the cruise.

You will enjoy your room and you'll see why we all love the afts so much ;0)

Thanks so much. Looking forward to trying Freestyle. I think we are really going to like it.

We were on the Star dec 10th mexico and had the 10th floor aft balcony .

I felt the balcony was larger than the ones we were on when we took the Sun forward Port side .

We found we spent more time in our cabin just sitting and watching the sea go by .

We are book in the same cabin May 3rd for Alaska. We look forward to

again seeing everything , As you have a full view of the sites as they go by .

We, as someone mentioned booked at least 9 months in advance .

There is no nicer way to go than BA AFT balcony unless you can afford the Suites .......

We had an upsell to Room 10182 which I was a bit surprised when I heard it was a bigger balcony. I have read that you get a bit of noise from the Aloha Cafe above in the morning. So maybe that's why.

Does anyone have any photo's that they can share?

Ask4Jay,

Obviously you are pretty well sold on the aft cabins. Quick question, if offered an upsell would you opt for one of the adjoining suites.....the difference in price being approximately $600? Or would you stay put? Thanks. I'm a first time cruiser and will be staying in the balcony-view cabin.

Thanks for the info. Now I'm totally confused. When we made our reservations we were told the balconies are standard size. Now I've been told deck 10's are very large and the others a bit smaller and you indicated they're all the same size. Are they standard size balconies?

Deck 10 stern (not aft, stern; aft means anything back of the rearmost bank of elevators, including staterooms on the port and starboard sides of the ship) balconies are larger. Here's a link to a picture of Jewel's stern:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1526993906083216447CjjMmt

The open deck is deck 12, The Great Outdoors. Note how the balconies on deck 10 protrude much further than on deck 11. The sliders on deck 11 staterooms are directly above the sliders on deck 10 staterooms, so the balcony areas on deck 10 are much larger. While the balcony railings on decks 8 and 9 protrude even further, the sliders on the staterooms on those decks are further toward the rear of the ship than the sliders on deck 10, so that balconies on decks 8, 9, and 11 are not nearly as deep as on deck 10.

Deck 10 stern (not aft, stern; aft means anything back of the rearmost bank of elevators, including staterooms on the port and starboard sides of the ship) balconies are larger. Here's a link to a picture of Jewel's stern:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1526993906083216447CjjMmt

The open deck is deck 12, The Great Outdoors. Note how the balconies on deck 10 protrude much further than on deck 11. The sliders on deck 11 staterooms are directly above the sliders on deck 10 staterooms, so the balcony areas on deck 10 are much larger. While the balcony railings on decks 8 and 9 protrude even further, the sliders on the staterooms on those decks are further toward the rear of the ship than the sliders on deck 10, so that balconies on decks 8, 9, and 11 are not nearly as deep as on deck 10.

Thanks for the explanation and photo greywillow. Can you or anyone else tell me what is in the areas (both port and starboard) on the corner afts (next to the suites)? I can't figure on the deck plans what this empty space is used for (your photo shows it all covered by metal). We were thinking about booking one of the outer aft suites but need to understand what those areas are used for and if there is noise concern. Ususaly corner aft wrap arounds on other ships are a desired cabin, but it looks like NCL doesn't offer something like that???

Thanks,

John

Thanks for the explanation and photo greywillow. Can you or anyone else tell me what is in the areas (both port and starboard) on the corner afts (next to the suites)? I can't figure on the deck plans what this empty space is used for (your photo shows it all covered by metal).

I don't recall, John. I'd guess it's either a stairway for crew or a supplies room for the housekeeping staff. And I haven't been on Dawn, so can't comment there, either.

We were in 10168 on the fall 2006 trans-Atlantic. As I recall, the balcony is actually somewhat wider than the stateroom itself, eating a bit into the balcony of the suite next door, so it is in fact wider as well as deeper than the standard balcony.

I don't recall, John. I'd guess it's either a stairway for crew or a supplies room for the housekeeping staff. And I haven't been on Dawn, so can't comment there, either.

We were in 10168 on the fall 2006 trans-Atlantic. As I recall, the balcony is actually somewhat wider than the stateroom itself, eating a bit into the balcony of the suite next door, so it is in fact wider as well as deeper than the standard balcony.

That is good to hear indeed as we have 10168 for the April transatlantic!

• 10 months later...

I suspect these are the most sought after and go early. When I look for availability on NCL, I get this message:

Chosen stateroom is not in the selected category, please refer to the deckplan and select another stateroom.

Even though I am looking at BA and can look for any midship BA. Does this indicate they are blocked out (for Latitude members maybe) or what?:confused:

Archived