deck 10 aft balcony?

lowerdegrl

You guys are giving away all the SECRETS! Years ago we booked the Sky BA aft, and haven't left the back of the ship. We were on the Sky 4 times

18 day, 7 day, 7 day, 7 day always in the aft BA.

The AD on the newer ships (deck 10 aft) has an even bigger balcony, and a deluxe bath. We've been booking those (way, way in advance since there are only 4 per ship) and it's very nice.

Deck 10 stern (not aft, stern; aft means anything back of the rearmost bank of elevators, including staterooms on the port and starboard sides of the ship) balconies are larger. Here's a link to a picture of Jewel's stern:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1526993906083216447CjjMmt

The open deck is deck 12, The Great Outdoors. Note how the balconies on deck 10 protrude much further than on deck 11. The sliders on deck 11 staterooms are directly above the sliders on deck 10 staterooms, so the balcony areas on deck 10 are much larger. While the balcony railings on decks 8 and 9 protrude even further, the sliders on the staterooms on those decks are further toward the rear of the ship than the sliders on deck 10, so that balconies on decks 8, 9, and 11 are not nearly as deep as on deck 10.

Beautiful picture- thank you. It's the first time I've seen a picture of the back of the ship.

We've got a deck 11 stern minisuite booked on the Gem. I'm worried about the possibility of noise from the Great Outdoors above.

I suspect these are the most sought after and go early. When I look for availability on NCL, I get this message:

Chosen stateroom is not in the selected category, please refer to the deckplan and select another stateroom.

Even though I am looking at BA and can look for any midship BA. Does this indicate they are blocked out (for Latitude members maybe) or what?:confused:

I've received the same message and would like to know the same. We are booked in BA's for our upcoming cruises that are on the back of the ship and our invoice shows them as BA's. I wonder why they you can't bring them up through the booking site?:confused:

I suspect these are the most sought after and go early. When I look for availability on NCL, I get this message:

Chosen stateroom is not in the selected category, please refer to the deckplan and select another stateroom.

Even though I am looking at BA and can look for any midship BA. Does this indicate they are blocked out (for Latitude members maybe) or what?:confused:

Anytime you get that message, it means that the cabin is already booked.

CG

Anytime you get that message, it means that the cabin is already booked.

CG

I'm sure you are probably right, but this didn't used to be the case. In the past you would get a message that the cabin wasn't available, not that it wasn't in this category. Just seems a little strange to get a message telling you this when you know you are looking in the right category!

I'm sure you are probably right, but this didn't used to be the case. In the past you would get a message that the cabin wasn't available, not that it wasn't in this category. Just seems a little strange to get a message telling you this when you know you are looking in the right category!

Not any more. The "not in this category" is the message you get now when a cabin is already booked. I've called and asked. I agree that it's very weird and confusing.

CG

We sailed in #10168 on the Jade last year. The balcony is wider and deeper then any other BA. Half is covered and half is open. The areas you see on the side are staff stairwells. We used them all the time to zip up to the Great Outdoors.

We sailed in #10168 on the Jade last year. The balcony is wider and deeper then any other BA. Half is covered and half is open. The areas you see on the side are staff stairwells. We used them all the time to zip up to the Great Outdoors.

Wow! That sounds convenient. I wonder if the stairways are there on the Dawn? I'll be in 10230 in June and LOVE the Great Outdoors. Did you ever have anyone speak to you about not using those staircases?

First time NCL cruiser (NCL Jewel TA in April 2010).. Currently have the two BA's 9174 (and the one next door for our friends) booked...:) (One of the two BA's on Deck 10 is already booked, and we need two cabins together..) so Deck 10 is not an option..

Considering an 'upgrade' to AF Mini-Suites on Deck 11, directly above the center BA's... From the pics I've seen, it looks as tho' the balcony on the Deck 9 BA is larger..?? Is that possible..??:rolleyes:

We always sail 'aft', but deciding on our best option for this TA is somewhat confusing.. Can anyone guide me along..? :D

ps: The extra sq. footage, plus the tub, in the AF would definitely be nice..;) But we LOVE the bigger balcony...

You guys are giving away all the SECRETS! Years ago we booked the Sky BA aft, and haven't left the back of the ship. We were on the Sky 4 times

18 day, 7 day, 7 day, 7 day always in the aft BA.

The AD on the newer ships (deck 10 aft) has an even bigger balcony, and a deluxe bath. We've been booking those (way, way in advance since there are only 4 per ship) and it's very nice.

what cabins did you have on the sky? im booked in 9076.. wondering if theres any info on it

First time NCL cruiser (NCL Jewel TA in April 2010).. Currently have the two BA's 9174 (and the one next door for our friends) booked...:) (One of the two BA's on Deck 10 is already booked, and we need two cabins together..) so Deck 10 is not an option..

From the pics I've seen, it looks as tho' the balcony on the Deck 9 BA is larger..?? Is that possible..??:rolleyes:

I have sailed in Cabin 9174 on the Jewel class and I didn't find the balcony much larger than a regular side balcony. We have also sailed the two BA cabins on Deck 10 Stern and they are huge and wonderful. We spent most of the cruise out there... Even though deck 9 balconies aren't any larger I would still choose this location any day if deck 10 isn't available!

I have sailed in Cabin 9174 on the Jewel class and I didn't find the balcony much larger than a regular side balcony. We have also sailed the two BA cabins on Deck 10 Stern and they are huge and wonderful. We spent most of the cruise out there... Even though deck 9 balconies aren't any larger I would still choose this location any day if deck 10 isn't available!
Thinking about moving to an AF on Deck 11 aft... We are sailing for 15 days, and the tub and extra cabin space may be a plus!!:p

Any info on moving from the BA to AF would be appreciated... Looking at 11152 or 11154!!:D Thanx again for the help...:)

Thinking about moving to an AF on Deck 11 aft... We are sailing for 15 days, and the tub and extra cabin space may be a plus!!:p

Any info on moving from the BA to AF would be appreciated... Looking at 11152 or 11154!!:D Thanx again for the help...:)

We've got an AF booked on deck 11 aft (stern). I've heard mixed reviews about this location. It's directly under The Great Outdoors and some have said that they can hear deck chairs and tables being moved around in the morning hours. Others have said that they haven't heard anything. At this point I don't know what to believe and am inclined to give it a try since I've always wanted to try an aft cabin. I wish we had the cash to upgrade to a larger cabin on deck 10, but this was the most we could afford. The BA's on 10 were already booked.

what cabins did you have on the sky? im booked in 9076.. wondering if theres any info on it

We were in 0065 (deck 10) for the 18 day and one of the 7 day cruises.

We were in 0066 (change of pace ;) for two more 7 day cruises.

This was several years ago, and the only thing that was not-to-my-liking was the circular shower with the ratty nylon shower curtain. On the 18 day cruise, we asked our attendant to get us a new one (mildew stains) and that was done immediately.

Otherwise, we always enjoyed cruising on the Sky.

Thinking about moving to an AF on Deck 11 aft... We are sailing for 15 days, and the tub and extra cabin space may be a plus!! Any info on moving from the BA to AF would be appreciated

We took an upsell to an AF from a BA once and I personally wouldn't do it again unless the price difference was minimal. There is a bit more space and the curtain would be great if there was a third person in the cabin. Also the tub is nice but that is about it. I like being between guest floors not under public areas but I would take the Stern AF if all of the BA's were gone.... Just my opinion. Have a great cruise!!

Also the tub is nice but that is about it.

My one time in a mini-suite I found the tub to be a negative - harder to step in and out of the shower which could be a real issue for people to consider if they have mobility problems. For me, just a safety/convenience issue - I was very surprised how high I had to step up - much more than my tub at home. I am really excited about my first BA Aft this summer!

We took an upsell to an AF from a BA once and I personally wouldn't do it again unless the price difference was minimal. There is a bit more space and the curtain would be great if there was a third person in the cabin. Also the tub is nice but that is about it. I like being between guest floors not under public areas but I would take the Stern AF if all of the BA's were gone.... Just my opinion. Have a great cruise!!
The tub height IS something to consider... I'm guessing the DW would 'suffer' with that just to have the tub tho'..;)

The curtain may be nice as I LOVE to sit on the balcony, or close to it, and the DW loves those afternoon naps, especially since we have 8 'sea' days..:)

BA aft balcony appears to have a larger balcony area than the aft AF, but that may just be the way the diagram/deck plan appears... Can anyone verify this one way or another?

I was in 11154 (Aft/Stern AF Mini-suite) on the Pearl in Dec. The 2 deck 10 BAs definitely have far larger balconies than the AFs on deck 11 (both width and length). Deck 9's BAs are also wider than the AFs, but they're not as deep, and the ones on deck 8 are even shallower.

I enjoyed the Aft Minis, the only BA I would rather have over the AFs are the deck 10 cabins, otherwise I'd stick with the AF.

I have some pictures of 11154 posted on my Photobucket site here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ddakrt/Caribbean%20Dec%2008/

Archived