A day to explore in the LA area . . .

3 Dog Night

We will have a day to explore around LA following our cruise on the NCL Star. We have rented a car and it's on a Sunday. Since we haven't been to Los Angeles before, we'd appreciate suggestions . . . any must sees or scenic drives?

Thanks for any responses.

We will have a day to explore around LA following our cruise on the NCL Star. We have rented a car and it's on a Sunday. Since we haven't been to Los Angeles before, we'd appreciate suggestions . . . any must sees or scenic drives?

You could take the 110 north to the 101 north. Exit off Hollywood Blvd and take the trip through Hollywood. Once you're through that stretch head south (a couple blocks) and take Sunset throught the Strip and Beverly Hills. Stop by Rodeo Drive. Then you can take Santa Monica Blvd into Santa Monica and hit up Venice Beach. That should take up the better part of the day for you and you'll be able to hit a few of the more interesting LA sights.

LA is REALLY BIG...so you have decisions to make...You are not going to see a lot of it in one day (By the way, does "one day" mean you are flying out that same night...or are you staying over and leaving in the morning?--it DOES makle a major difference)...

Okay...First recognize that you are in big metropolis...There ARE some very "scenic" drives, but most people seem to want to hit the less natural spots--Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Disney, the Getty, etc. If you want truly "scenic", here would be a couple to consider:

--Mullholand Drive...Pick any stretch between, say, Laurel Canyon and the 405. LA actually has several mountain ranges or hills that run right through the metropolitan area...the most prominent are the Santa Monicas--which run from Griffith Park near Downtown to the Coast at Point Mugu beyond Malibu in Ventura County...This range sort of bisects the urban area and Mullholland Drive pretty much follows the crest of the range with spectacular city views on either side...

--Pacific Coast Highway through Malibu-- a scenic drive along the coast where the Santa Monicas come right down to the ocean...

--Circumnavigate the Palos Verdes Penninsula...a rugged hilly area just to the West of San Pedro and the harbor with expensive homes with rugged cliffs and ocean views...

There are other areas with spectacular scenery--any of the Canyon roads between PCH and the 101 in the Malibu area--Topanga, Malibu Canyon/Las Virgenes, Kanan Dume...and then some a little further out--in the San Bernardinos or out in the desert--but, you only have one day--you're not heading out that far...

...and, chances are, if you've never been to LA before, there are some things IN the city you'll want to see...But, really, it all depends on what YOU like to do, how YOU like to spend your time...

I usually recommend the Getty Center (Art Museum) and the Getty Villa (Antiquities Collection) and also Venice Beach Boardwalk, Santa Monica (Pier, Palisades Park and Third Street Promenade) and, of course, the beautiful campus of UCLA...A lot of folks feel they haven't seen LA without a visit to Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Walk of Fame and a view of the Hollywood Sign...

Tell us what you want to do with your time...

Ok just to be sure, I'd checked when you're going to be here on. The 23rd is Easter Sunday. Not sure how that's going to affect your sightseeing, but if you want to go into any attractions, you may want to double check on whether they'll be open. The Getty will be open on that date, just in case you're into fine art.

If you're flying out that night, you'll want to pad your time to get back to the airport as that will be a heavy travel day (many school districts, like the LAUSD, and some colleges will have spring break the prior week).

Also, keep checking the weather reports as we could have anything from temps in the 50s to the 80s in March. And it could always be raining, which may affect sightseeing and traffic conditions.

I just watched Giana's Weekend Getaways and she suggested Sunset Blvd from one end to another then to Venice Beach.

Anyone have any directions on this and how safe it is from LAX or from our hotel in San Pedro?

I just watched Giana's Weekend Getaways and she suggested Sunset Blvd from one end to another then to Venice Beach.

Anyone have any directions on this and how safe it is from LAX or from our hotel in San Pedro?

You could do that but I would personally begin the Sunset journey in Hollywood. See the sights in Hollywood first and then drop down to Sunset. It's pretty safe because it's all freeway driving until you get off the 101 freeway in Hollywood. I posted directions in a post above (from San Pedro) and Curt put some nice pics up of the route I suggested. Have fun and drop in and see us if you need any help when you are here.

You could do that but I would personally begin the Sunset journey in Hollywood. See the sights in Hollywood first and then drop down to Sunset. It's pretty safe because it's all freeway driving until you get off the 101 freeway in Hollywood. I posted directions in a post above (from San Pedro) and Curt put some nice pics up of the route I suggested. Have fun and drop in and see us if you need any help when you are here.

I did see your directions. I will tell DH about your suggestions. We have no clue how to chose the direction of our drive.

Sunset Blvd. goes pretty far east. But you won't want to go beyond Hollywood as you're getting into dicey and nonscenic territory there.

Thanks.

Archived