MSC Musica info please Greek Islands

valderee

We are a party of 10 all family we are going on Musica from Venice, 18th May 2008 any info on your experiences on the ship would be appreciated. Also info on day trips, Athens, Santorini and others. Do we get the arranged excursions or can we hire a mini van near the ship for touring.

Any help would be appreciated.

We are a party of 10 all family we are going on Musica from Venice, 18th May 2008 any info on your experiences on the ship would be appreciated. Also info on day trips, Athens, Santorini and others. Do we get the arranged excursions or can we hire a mini van near the ship for touring.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Valderee - My DW and I are going to be shipmates with you and your family as we also will be on the Musica May 18. This will be our first cruise and as the day gets closer the excitment builds -- reading the CC boards has been very informative and I feel much more ready. From the information I have read, I'm sure you and family can explore the ports sucessfully without arranged excursions. For example, if you read the post under " Orchestra live post" - the poster just visited Katakolon ( Olympia) and Athens on their own. After some reseach, we had decided to take some type of excursion at the two ports mentioned above, but felt we could handle all others on our own. That being said, the tour company that we are traveling with offered excursions at these ports plus two other ports. Since we are new to cruising ( fear of missing the ship :eek: ) we decided to take our tour company excursions. Have you checked MSC's site for excursions offered. The MSC.usa has a listing.

I've noticed that other posters have had a little more success in reply information if they list the ports they are visiting - for us that would be Bari, Italy: Olympia : Santorini : Mykonos : Athens : Corfu : and Dubrovnik.

Anyway, not sure this is of any help to you. Hopefully it will generate more feedback from those folks out there with more knowledge than I have. Also, keep watching these boards as they have been a great resourse of information.

Counting the days to May 18 - DT

Hello Valderee - My DW and I are going to be shipmates with you and your family as we also will be on the Musica May 18. This will be our first cruise and as the day gets closer the excitment builds -- reading the CC boards has been very informative and I feel much more ready. From the information I have read, I'm sure you and family can explore the ports sucessfully without arranged excursions. For example, if you read the post under " Orchestra live post" - the poster just visited Katakolon ( Olympia) and Athens on their own. After some reseach, we had decided to take some type of excursion at the two ports mentioned above, but felt we could handle all others on our own. That being said, the tour company that we are traveling with offered excursions at these ports plus two other ports. Since we are new to cruising ( fear of missing the ship :eek: ) we decided to take our tour company excursions. Have you checked MSC's site for excursions offered. The MSC.usa has a listing.

I've noticed that other posters have had a little more success in reply information if they list the ports they are visiting - for us that would be Bari, Italy: Olympia : Santorini : Mykonos : Athens : Corfu : and Dubrovnik.

Anyway, not sure this is of any help to you. Hopefully it will generate more feedback from those folks out there with more knowledge than I have. Also, keep watching these boards as they have been a great resourse of information.

Counting the days to May 18 - DT

We are doing the same stops on our Musica cruise as you are but our departure is 4 May. I had the same feelings as you regarding the two ports for organised tours and do the rest on our own.

One question though, what are we supposed to do in Mykonos as we arrive at 2000 and leave at 0200?

We are doing the same stops on our Musica cruise as you are but our departure is 4 May. I had the same feelings as you regarding the two ports for organised tours and do the rest on our own.

One question though, what are we supposed to do in Mykonos as we arrive at 2000 and leave at 0200?

Hi Tangles00 - Time at Mykonos does seem very short/late. Based on other posts about Mykonos, my DW and I will most-likely find a restaurant/taverna in the Little Venice area and enjoy a Greek dinner, drinks, sites, etc. It sounds like things get started there late, so we hope shops are open late. I also understand the view from the windmills is beautiful after dark, so may try that as well. The ship maybe there in time for us to enjoy the sunset. Other that that, I'm out of ideals, how about you- any suggestions?

Anyway, whatever we finally do I'm certain that it will be fun and provide good memories.:)

DT

P.S. - There is a discussion thread on the Europe "Port" board. I'll ask there and see if we get any suggestion.

Thanks for your kind reply. Our travel agent is pretty hopeless considering we booked for ten. I will check out the other sites. We have a 10 month old and a two year blond girl with us on the ship so if you see us (all ten) then come and say high. Val

You can easily do Dbrovnik on your own. The walled city with a walk on the ramparts is easily reached by the bus that should be waiting for you when you get off the ship - typically pretty cheap. When your in the old city, check out the monostary with it's oldest pharmacy and relics, the war memorial (these folks fought for their freedom about 10 years ago) and the restored churches. Pick a place for lunch down one of the very narrow/small streets and don't forget to try the local wine. It's fabulous. The cleanest bathroom I ever found in this part of Europe was on the ramparts on the side closest to docks.

Very cool place!

Hello valderee and Dakota Traveler,

My DW and I did the Greek Islands with RCCL Splendor of the Seas last May and loved it. Mykonos is done easily without an excursion, unless you wish to get away from the village and visits beaches. I understand there is little else as far as attractions outside the village, but Mykonos is very photographic and the narrow streets lined with shops was fun to just wander around in. The windmills were a great backdrop for photos of my DW and the sunset was extremely beautiful. The nightlife does get started late there, but unfortunately our shipped pulled out of port at 10 pm so we had to get back onboard.

The port of Katakolon has a few small shops along its single street. My DW and I rented a moped as soon as we arrived at port and rode up the west side of the peninsula to a semi secluded beach resort. It was great fun. My DW still today says that was the most fun she had on our cruise. The Olympic site is about 45 minutes away by bus and very well worth the price of the excursion.

In Corfu we took the island excursion which also was well worth it. We went to a monastery on the north side of the island. They produce a delicious kumquat liquor there that didn't make it back to the ship.:)

We covered the the whole north side of the island and were probably gone about 5 hours. It is a very beautiful island.

I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Hi I agree with all the comments about Mykonos, beautiful, but beware of prices. Last summer the cheapest white wine (crap) we found in the bars 35 Euro, small bottle of beer 6 euro, so partying could be expensive. Also the beaches are all clothing optional so be aware.

Hello valderee and Dakota Traveler,

My DW and I did the Greek Islands with RCCL Splendor of the Seas last May and loved it. Mykonos is done easily without an excursion, unless you wish to get away from the village and visits beaches. I understand there is little else as far as attractions outside the village, but Mykonos is very photographic and the narrow streets lined with shops was fun to just wander around in. The windmills were a great backdrop for photos of my DW and the sunset was extremely beautiful. The nightlife does get started late there, but unfortunately our shipped pulled out of port at 10 pm so we had to get back onboard.

The port of Katakolon has a few small shops along its single street. My DW and I rented a moped as soon as we arrived at port and rode up the west side of the peninsula to a semi secluded beach resort. It was great fun. My DW still today says that was the most fun she had on our cruise. The Olympic site is about 45 minutes away by bus and very well worth the price of the excursion.

In Corfu we took the island excursion which also was well worth it. We went to a monastery on the north side of the island. They produce a delicious kumquat liquor there that didn't make it back to the ship.:)

We covered the the whole north side of the island and were probably gone about 5 hours. It is a very beautiful island.

I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Thanks for the information - just can't wait to get started - We will be in Mykonos late - 8 pm to 2 am - do you know if shops are open that late or is my DW out of luck for shopping???

Also, I'm looking forward to trying the kumquat liquor in Corfu :) - It sounds so good that I may have buy at least 2 bottles to be sure that I can get one back to the ship. Got golfing buddies who would be disappointed in me if I didn't get some back to South Dakota for their tasting:D

DT

Archived