Onboard store

lilybug

We were on R-5 (now Nautica) and I know shopping is limited, unlike the mega-ships. With baggage restrictions tightening, I was thinking that you can purchase many items that you normally pack ... toiletries, otc medicines and the like ... are these items available on board?

Lilybug-

The shops on board carry toiletries, but not in a quantity where i would feel confident about buying everything onboard.

They get a small supply at each "turn around" port to suppliment what passengers forgot at home.

For example, I chipped a crown on Regatta last year and got the last tube of fixodent. On a ship carrying hundreds of 60-70-80 somethings! :eek:

That tube saved my life, though. The drug stores in Poland were still very Soviet Era!

Walls, ceiling and floors painted "baby poop green", lots of empty, dusty glass shelves, and thirty people on line at the druggist window.

Not sure what you are looking to buy but shampoo, conditioner, shower gel,SOAP & body lotion are provided in the cabin

They do have some cough syrup, strepsils I can vouch for that . I will check later when they open and see what else they have

We were on R-5 (now Nautica) and I know shopping is limited, unlike the mega-ships. With baggage restrictions tightening, I was thinking that you can purchase many items that you normally pack ... toiletries, otc medicines and the like ... are these items available on board?

We were on a transatlantic cruise on Insignia & they ran out of almost everything...but restocked at one port. Not a big selection as far as mouthwash, Tylenol etc. I would just pack a small amount just in case. I don't know what cruise you are on, but pack a sweatshirt/sweater...I was not prepared for cold weather & the shops sold a cotton sweater for $500+:eek: . In 15 days they didn't sell even one LOL!! At first I thought it must be cashmere, but NOOO--cotton. Crazy.

Jan

I chipped a crown on Regatta last year and got the last tube of fixodent.
Presumably dental crowns are made of alloyed gold, so how do they "chip" (usually something brittle chips, such as porcelain, perhaps it was the porcelain cover on the crown that chipped, but that could wait a month before it needed to be fixed).

On a similar sized ship, the Silver Shadow last December, one gentleman forgot to bring his electric shaver, no luck in the on board store. It was 15 days Panama Canal, with no port shops close by on the way (except perhaps Acapulco). So, he had to buy a hand shave with several blades to change throughout that journey!

Thanks, everyone. It's getting more difficult to travel all the time ... now with all the luggage restrictions and carry-on rules! I appreciate your replies, I think I'll pack the stuff I always do.

Presumably dental crowns are made of alloyed gold, so how do they "chip"

Meow-

I think that I'm caught in a dental technology- semantics battle. Before the cruise (so I could have my movie star smile, intact) my dentist removed some older work and replaced it with Implants. One of the porceline "teeth" came loose and had to be "fixodented" back onto the implanted post until I returned to the United States.

My Dentist and I have been calling the porceline teeth "crowns" is that incorrect?

Winner is right, bye the way, whatever you call them, this dental work costs a fortune......I could have done a world cruise for less!

Thank you kindly for your explanation. We have "crowns" and "bridges", but haven't tried "inplants" yet! By the way, can you have the artificial teeth in alloyed gold? They say that molars should be in metal while incissors are often porcelain. They have a doctor on cruise ships, but no dentist. I guess even dental emergencies have to be done in port.

We have "crowns" and "bridges", but haven't tried "inplants" yet!

Meow-

I know that it's counterintuitive, but it's IMPLANT, not INPLANT.

http://www.yourdentistryguide.com/implants/

(fast note: according to that site, the term crown IS correct or the teeth associated with implants ;) )

We've never had any choice as to the metals used for the posts (surgical titanium, they claim) or the material that the new teeth are made from (Porceline seems the only option).

Some of the larger cruise ships have dentists aboard (so I'm told), but they cater more to crew needs than passengers.

They carry some things, but the choices are VERY limited. You will not confuse the shops with a Walgren's.

Archived