Mauna Loa Factory Tour

plan2go

I have read that the factory produces most of their product from August to November. Will it be worth a trip there in late June? How long should we plan to visit the factory?

Maholo

The factory was up and running last week. The "tour" consists of standing outside and peering through windows at the nut processing plant as you walk around. It is mostly about selling the Mauna Loa products at their gift shop. It is a required stop for most of the scheduled shore excursions.

If it is part of a tour then great but even when it is operational there is not a ton too see and I don't know if I would recommend a specail trip. But they sure can sell you the macadamia nuts, macadamia chocolates and as Mary says the macadamia ice cream. Oh and stop by the Maui Divers counter, they sell a lovely gold pineapple charm that looks really nice on my wife's charm braclet, ouch!

We stopped by in our rental car on the way back from Volcanos National Park. The tour itself was very short. You walk along a walkway on the 2nd floor of the outside of the factory and look down through a window and watch them do their jobs. There's not a ton to see actually. There are tons of free samples inside the gift shop however and we tried every kind of macadamia nut under the sun for free. They had a bunch sitting out and kept bringing more out. But if you wanted to try something they didn't have out, all you have to do is mention wanting to try it to the person putting them out and they will put out samples of what you want to try. They're very yummy and fresh. You'll want to buy some. We didn't want to travel with as many as we bought as we had also stopped at the Kileua Coffee Company and bought several bags of Macadamia nuts from them too. So we stopped by the post office that you pass on the way back to the rental car company and paid to ship them to some of the people we had bought them for. It was nice to be able to do that since you already have more than enough luggage and souveniers on an 11 night vacation. 8 or 10 big bags of Macadamia nuts can be pretty heavy.

Archived