Help! Husband doesn't dive - options?

FliLady

I will be going to Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman via the Legend in May. My husband is not a diver, but snorkels.

Do you know of any way I can get a few dives in and have him come along to either snorkel or observe? Do you know of any companies that allow this?

My family did this same cruise a few years ago. I and one daughter dive. My wife and one daughter do not dive. Here is what we did:

Cozumel - We used Scuba with Alison. My wife and daughter snorkeled from the boat while we dove. Alison is really wonderful. I can not recommend her enough. I got my AOW with her a few years ago. She will work a bit to fit your cruise schedule. Some other good ops are Bottomtime Divers and BlueXTC. Cozumel also has a lot of bars and stores for you husband to see if he doesn't want to go out. If he would like a great massage while you dive I can recommend Sally of Barefoot in Cozumel.

Roatan - We used Sueno del Mar in West End where we did the same thing. The diving here is very close in and was better for the snorkelers. This is a very friendly operation. This would be a GREAT place for both of you to go out.

Belize - We went cave tubing with Tom *********. Not to be missed. Major Tom is amazing. It is worth not diving for this experience. The lunch he has at the trailhead is really nice. He is the person who started the whole caving tubing idea. The problem with diving off a cruise ship is in Belize is that you must tender in from so far out. This more or less forces you to go with the diving from the ship. These trips are usually not as nice as smaller dive ops.

Grand Cayman - Go to Eden Rock or Sunset House (nicer for non-divers). The non-divers can snorkel or just relax. This is shore diving. You will need to hire a DM here if you are alone. They are both close the the pier. We missed this stop because of weather and had to anchor on the other side of the island.

Thank you for the information! How was the diving in Roatan? How far is that dive company from the cruiseship? I'll do a search for the website.

I've heard good things about Alison. Did you do a 2 tank dive? Did they enjoy the snorkeling or did they get bored?

I have been to Eden Rock several times to snorkel, but have never dove there. Is it decent diving? That would be a good place to bring him snorkeling...

Is the massage you are referring to directly on the beach? Also looking for a place that does massages on the beach like in Costa Maya.

I am certified and DH is not. On our trip to Eatern Caribbean in January, we did the Discover tour in St. Maarten. I used it as a refresher dive, and it was DH's first ever dive. It was shallow (30 ft) and we saw a whole lot . Don't know if this will help you.

Thank you for the information! How was the diving in Roatan? How far is that dive company from the cruiseship? I'll do a search for the website.

I've heard good things about Alison. Did you do a 2 tank dive? Did they enjoy the snorkeling or did they get bored?

I have been to Eden Rock several times to snorkel, but have never dove there. Is it decent diving? That would be a good place to bring him snorkeling...

Is the massage you are referring to directly on the beach? Also looking for a place that does massages on the beach like in Costa Maya.

West End in Roatan is across the island but it is not really very far. It is a really nice place. I have heard it is like Cozumel used to be years ago. They arranged a cab for us and one going back. The diving was nice. There was no current (unlike Cozumel). The visibility was very good with lots of life.

We did do the two tank dive with Alison. Our daughter got a bit bored but my wife had a great time snorkeling. As part of the rate they had a guide go out with them.

Sally in Cozumel isn't on the beach. She does the massages at her house in town. She uses a Japanese method where she walks on your back. She only weighs 100lbs. It is really a good massage. I think they do beach side in Chankanaab but I haven't been there for a while.

I didn't get to dive Eden Rock or Sunset House because we couldn't tender on that side. We were actually headed to Sunset House but didn't get there because the ship had to go to the other side. Hopefully others can chime in on the dive conditions there. I have heard the the house reef at Sunset House is good.

Use CoCoView in Roatan, amazing house reef for diving and the snorkeling is excellent as well. There are also other activities you can do at the resort.

As mentioned, in Coz you'll be able to find an op who will work out diving/snorkeling together. We used Eagle Ray and they were fantastic. We got a private boat (not too much $) and did three dives while DW's mom snorkeled with a private guide.

Good times!

I didn't get to dive Eden Rock or Sunset House because we couldn't tender on that side. We were actually headed to Sunset House but didn't get there because the ship had to go to the other side. Hopefully others can chime in on the dive conditions there. I have heard the the house reef at Sunset House is good.

Sunset house reef is very good. There's also an on-site dive shop and there's the best bar on GC, My Bar, right at the ocean so both of you can enjoy a drink before going back to the ship. The dive shop also has full rental gear and lockers. Go to the sunset house website and there's a link to the dive shop and pictures that shows the dock into the water, very easy.

Randall

P.S. when in Roatan, bring mosquito repleant. They're so numerous and large that they're the national bird of Roatan. :D Our doctor actually recommended taking ant-malarial medicine (a pill a day) when we went to Roatan just to be safe. Might check with yours.

We have also done scuba/snorkel trips with Scuba with Alison in Cozumel. She is fantastic....and on our last trip she dropped us off at a beach club/restaurant and after lunch and more water fun we took a taxi back to the ship. I can't remember the name of the beach club but the food was great and it was not one of the big "party" beach clubs. Have fun.

At the beach during the day in Roatan the mosquitoes arent' really a problem. However the sand flies are. :-) You still need repellent on your legs or you will get some nasty bites.

Alison and the other ops often use San Franciso beach for the surface intervals. This might be the beach that was mentioned.

Help! Husband doesn't dive - options?

I'm sorry, but the very first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread was:

"Time for a new Husband"

Belize - Don't know about diving here.

Cozumel - In addition to the already mentioned Alison, http://www.eagleraydivers.com and Blue Angel Scuba both do combo snorkel/dive trips. Blue Angel's trip departs at 10:00 am, perfect for many cruiser's arrival time.

Roatan - I'd do some shore diving here at one of the mentioned resorts.

Grand Cayman - I think http://www.neptunesdivers.com takes snorkelers on their 2 tank trips (space available) and there is always the shore diving at Eden Rock or http://www.sunsethouse.com

We have also done scuba/snorkel trips with Scuba with Alison in Cozumel. She is fantastic....and on our last trip she dropped us off at a beach club/restaurant and after lunch and more water fun we took a taxi back to the ship. I can't remember the name of the beach club but the food was great and it was not one of the big "party" beach clubs. Have fun.

Alison and the other ops often use San Franciso beach for the surface intervals. This might be the beach that was mentioned.

Sounds more like Playa Palancar to me.

The diving at Eden Rock is good, no DM needed, just pay careful attention to the breifing so you know where the good stuff is-- quite a few swim thrus.

I would not miss Belize. I have read a few bad reviews on this board, but Belize ranks as one of the VERY BEST ports we've ever done. Went with the ship's excursion to Turneffe. I noticed that http://www.shoretrips.com offers a 2 tank with options for snorkelers.

Diving in Roatan is FABULOUS, any option is a good one.

http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

The diving at Eden Rock is good, no DM needed, ...

Maybe you won't need a DM, but you will need a buddy because the dive shops there won't rent to a solo diver. Without a buddy, it would be best to go with a guide, IMO.

Thanks for all of the info. Now I am trying to narrow down 2 ports to dive in out of Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. I've done Belize (flew over to Ambergis Caye) and Cozumel, loved them both. Which two would you recommend?

Thanks for all of the info. Now I am trying to narrow down 2 ports to dive in out of Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. I've done Belize (flew over to Ambergis Caye) and Cozumel, loved them both. Which two would you recommend?

I personally like Belize myself (if you can dive in time). It's my favorite reef system. Probably Roatan next as it's still pretty preserved. Cozumel last as I'm not much into drift diving.

Randall

• 1 year later...

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Galapagos Islands. Diving near Wolf and Darwin is amazing. You see hammerheads, giant manta rays, orcas, and sperm whales if you are lucky. I don't dive, but my husband does. If the water is warm, I'll snorkel around the boat. I don't usually see anything, since the dives are in deep water, but it's a pleasant way to spend the day and my husband loves diving. It's maddening, though, when my hubby comes back to the boat so excited about his encounters and I haven't seen anything! We went with Quasar Expeditions, and I would recommend them to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be going to Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman via the Legend in May. My husband is not a diver, but snorkels.

Do you know of any way I can get a few dives in and have him come along to either snorkel or observe? Do you know of any companies that allow this?

get a diff husband...jk kidding my wife wasn't a diver when we went on the Crown Princess and she spent the mornings just relaxing or shopping while I dove then we would spend the afternoon together.

Archived