You think the Prices of Crusing has Gone Up....Well

CruisingChick

My husband and I use to have NY Yankee Season Tickets. They were in Section 12 Main Level Reserve. When we started (1986) they were $8.50 a seat. Nine years later in 1994 they were $16.50 a seat. That was the last year we bought them.

I just was at the NY Yankee Website looking for the prices of tickets. Those same tickets are now $45.00 a seat.

People need to stop complaining about prices going up. They have gone up for everything. A Cruise vacation is still the best value around for your money.

Anne Maria

As I have posted before,

In 1994 on the Cunard Crown Jewel, 7 day Western, from Palm Beach, inside quad, aprox $4300. Sept 2003 RCI Rhapsody, 7 day Western, Outside delux quad, with C&A coupon, aprox $1500. ! Apples to apples.

EW

{and we dont want to talk about our football, hockey, basketball, and baseball ticket prices in Dallas !:eek: }

My husband and I use to have NY Yankee Season Tickets. They were in Section 12 Main Level Reserve. When we started (1986) they were $8.50 a seat. Nine years later in 1994 they were $16.50 a seat. That was the last year we bought them.

I just was at the NY Yankee Website looking for the prices of tickets. Those same tickets are now $45.00 a seat.

People need to stop complaining about prices going up. They have gone up for everything. A Cruise vacation is still the best value around for your money.

Anne Maria

Yup, just look at the price of gasoline! Shudder to think how much fuel a cruise ship uses.

I agree that prices have gone up every where. July, 2003, my daugher was married. The price for the package reception was $72 pp before taxes and gratuities. Our other daughter would like to have her reception at the same place. In 2005 it would cost $144pp for the exact same package. Yikes!!! I think we will buy her a ladder.

I sit behind home plate - when we started 18 years ago we paid $18 - now it's $55 - well we do get waitress service for food we never order because it's too expensive - but - we have seen two perfect games, game 7 against the red sox last year and some heartbreaking games too - so to me it is priceless. Cruises have actually gone down since I started cruising celebrity 5 years ago. I mean come on - I am on a ten day cruise to Mexico Riveria for $1000 - it cost more for my family of 4 to go to the world series. So I will continue cruising and will forever root for the yankees!!!!

I think it's crazy to pay the rediculous prices to see a sporting event at the current prices to witness what in most cases is mediocrecy on the field. Too many oportunists who couldn't care less about the game/s, only the $$$$$$$$$$. I refuse to subsidize them ... besides, you can see much better on the TV.

In 1964 I was a freshman in High school, my brother had just graduated from college and had an apartment in NY with two friends who worked for the Yankees, I went up to NY from Philly stayed with my brother for the weekend and sold peanuts at the 1964 World Series, I made $75 in three days and had the time of my life, today that would probably be the equivalent of about $700 plus one of my brothers friends got me an autographed ball from the Yankees that I am told would go for over $10000 now.

It is marvelous to rationalize that prices have gone up. There are many people as well whose incomes have gone up even more. I read in yesterday's paper that Bill Gates is still the richest man in the world with a net worth of $48 billion. For the rest of us who work each day, do great work at times, and do not make the billions or even millions or even $100,000 the increase in the price of entertainment, vacations [including cruising] is more than we might be able to reasonably afford. So it may be true that the price of a ball game at Yankee Stadium and I too paid $32 in 2001 to see a game in Yankee Stadium [the hotdog tasted like sawdust and the beer way too expensive] but I only have been there once. I live on the West Coast of North America it is still too expensive.

So it is not a comparison of apples to apples but rather fruit salad that is no comparison at all IMHO.

I will stop complaining if you pay the difference between last year's cruise prices and next year's cruise prices minus 2% per year for inflation. Point is that all cruise lines had record profits last year, but now that there are only two major players, they are trying to artificially increase prices by eliminating discounting. Looks like the idea is to force out the bigger cruise discounters who could bargain lower prices with the cruise lines. Once they get to the point where all that is left is Mom and Pop TAs, the cruise lines will be able to set prices. Wake up and smell the money!

Well,

Me being the tight wad that I am, not to mention easy to please I will almost always end up doing what is cheep, or at least a good deal. I just got back from the 9/3 sailing of the Galaxy. I paid $699.00 for a 14 day cruise. I could not have spent 14 days in a Motel 6 for that price. I had a wonderful time, dare I say the time of my life. If I can't find a deal like that next year on a cruise, I will vacation on land at a resort. If that too goes up, I will camp out somewhere neat. I bet I have a wonderful time either way.

What I am trying to say is that cruise lines will only raise their prices if the public is willing to pay the named price. If we all say no thanks one cruising season, you WILL see prices fall back to reasonable levels. Remember how prices were the summer after 9-11?

This year I found out for myself that cruising is dollar for dollar about the best vacation deal available. But if the cruise lines do to the TA's what I hear they are trying to do, then they may very well knock themselves out of the market for my vacation dollar. There are still many ways to go on holiday in this old world without cruising.

Archived