Keeping track of children on ship

njtwinmom

Hi, We will be going on our first cruise on the Crown Princess and have 2 boys age 11. I would like to give them a little freedom on the ship. How do you communicate with your children when they are not with you? Do you bring walkie talkies or can you rent them? Do you have them meet you at certain place at a specified time?

Our kids are 8 and 12. When our oldest was 11, we still signed him in and out of the kid's program, even though we can give them permission to let him sign himself in and out. I just don't want him wandering around the ship. If I go off and leave him to do something alone, like play pingpong or basketball, I give him instructions to wait there until I come back.

Since you have two the same age, it might be OK to allow them a little more freedom as long as they stay together. You know how well they will behave (or not!;)). The walkie talkies are a good idea--I've thought about doing that myself, especially now that 12yo is too old to be signed in and out, and probably won't participate much in the teen program anyway. But I wouldn't rent them on the ship--just buy some before you go. You will probably use them again!

Our DD was 14 on our last cruise, she had to let us know where she was going to be (and we let her know where to find us too). We always came together for meal times. We also left notes for eachother in our cabin.

On the last cruise we let our 10 and 12 year old wander to the pool, arcade, and other areas, but only togather. On such a larger ship I think lettting kids wander along is still not a good idea. I don't believe Carnival allowed them to check themselves out of the kids program themselves

This time around they will have more freedom, but the need to contact them will be there even more. We'll be giving them walkie talkies ( no flames, we'll be getting the newier ones with seperate codes / channel. Hopefully they won't fall into the ocean like our last ones did off the chair lifts :eek: )

Archived