Excursion advice on W.Caribbean for family of 3 Generations

syw9

Hi All,

We have party of 6 (3 generations age from 3 - 84 yr old). We want to make our 1st cruise a memorable experience. We’re sailing on RC Freedom of the Sea (May 11 2008).

1. Advise on following port excursion

Labadee, Haiti

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

George Town, Grand Cayman

Cozumel, Mexico

2. If you have done all over again, what will you do differently?

Thanks in advance!!!

Been on Western Freedom of the Seas so this is an easy one for me. :)

1. Advise on following port excursion

Labadee, Haiti - Great beach day. There is a very nice beach buffet (free). For those able to climb steps, take the tram and head to Dragon's Breath Point to hear the dragon breathing through the rocks. It is about a 10 minute walk from the tram stop, so it will require some moderate physical ability.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica - This is a tough one because I don't know the physical ability of those in your family. There are some great adventure type activities (river tubing, tree top canopy, climbing the falls) but they all require physical activity. And while in Jamaica, I don't know if I would ever recomend a shopping tour :eek: . Frankly, the last time we were in Jamaica on Freedom, I stayed ON the ship (first time ever). I just didn't feel the need to get off with 2 young children.

George Town, Grand Cayman - We went to the butterfly farm but it was BORING. I wouldn't do that again. If I had to do it all over again I would go to stingray city and swim with the rays. Some have said that they enjoyed the trip to the turtle farm too.

Grand Cayman also has 7 mile beach which is beautiful.

Cozumel, Mexico - We went to Playa Mia Beach Break (I wouldn't recomend it) there are BETTER beaches. When we return, I want to go to Chakanaab National Park.

Things I would do differently - I would try to get off the ship earlier and use the self assist. Our luggage color was called at 10:30am. It was NOON before we were standing in front of the terminal. :rolleyes: The lines are ungodly long. So if I could do the early thing (or at least do luggage Valet to the airport) then it would have made it easier.

Hi.... we are doing the Western Carib in 2 weeks on Liberty. We are also traveling as a large family - our ages range from 6-70. I can tell you our plans based on the research that I've done but I can't say how it will all work out quite yet.

Labadee - beach day, something to do for everyone. We've been to Labadee before and the kids enjoyed the blow up slides and water-climbing-things while others enjoyed the jet skis or simply relaxing on a beach chair. Part of our group may do the zip line but the kids are too young and too small (height/weight restrictions). There is plenty of shade too and the island is pretty easy to navigate.

Jamaica - we are going to Montego Bay, not Ocho Rios, but we are considering heading to Sunset Beach Resort and paying the day rate. There is one in Ocho Rios too. Based on some things I've read about MoBay recently, we may stay on the ship.

Grand Cayman - we are going to 7 mile beach to one of the facilities (Sea Grape or Royal Palms) with food/rentals/etc. We haven't decided exactly where yet.

Cozumel - we booked the swimming with the dolphins at Chakanaab. There are a few different programs based on the amount of contact with the dolphins and the age/activity level. We split up into different groups. I booked directly with them at www.dolphindiscovery.com. I've also read that there is a lot to do at Chakanaab such as beach, playground, etc. In addition, downtown Cozumel is supposed to have great shopping.

I hope this helps!! Enjoy your cruise!!

Jamaica - we are going to Montego Bay, not Ocho Rios, but we are considering heading to Sunset Beach Resort and paying the day rate. There is one in Ocho Rios too. Based on some things I've read about MoBay recently, we may stay on the ship.

That was our other option, the ship or Sunset Beach. Members of my extended family have stayed at Sunset and I have seen the pics so I know it's beautiful. But frankly when I started to run the cost of getting a daypass to Sunset Beach or staying on the best floating resort in the world and paying nothing...I opted to stay on board...lol. ;)

I agree with alot of the above. We are cruising with young kids and with alot of research have decided that Jamaica- going to mobay doing sunset beach $40 adult $20 kids they have a kids pools that looks fun, nice beach and includes food. Cozumel- chankanaab park- there is a web site you can go to and cozumelinsidercom has $2 off coupon $16 adult $10 kids it has pool, dolphins, snorkeling, beach, restaurant. And Grand Cayman capt Bryans catamaran snorkel to stingray city $ 35 and $27 kids. good luck, and have fun

So glad I find this site! Thanks for all your reply.

Labadee - I hear both Haiti and Jamaica are not the safest place to around, especially I have a 3 yr old. Should I be worry here?

Ocho Rios – Not sure my 3 yr old and Grandma will able to do the falls. For safety reason, I think we will just stay on the ship. It’s just too bad that we are a big fan of Rainforest. Can’t understand why cruise lines cruises to Jamaica if it has such a high crime rate over there.

George Town – May just stay at the 7 miles beach. My son touched stingray before and it freaks him out. :eek:

Cozumel - dolphins at Chakanaab seems to be a lot of fun. Is there a reef or beach somewhere for a little one that they can play w/small fish?

Do you recommend take a cab there or book through cruise directly?

So glad I find this site! Thanks for all your reply.

Labadee - I hear both Haiti and Jamaica are not the safest place to around, especially I have a 3 yr old. Should I be worry here?

Ocho Rios – Not sure my 3 yr old and Grandma will able to do the falls. For safety reason, I think we will just stay on the ship. It’s just too bad that we are a big fan of Rainforest. Can’t understand why cruise lines cruises to Jamaica if it has such a high crime rate over there.

George Town – May just stay at the 7 miles beach. My son touched stingray before and it freaks him out. :eek:

Cozumel - dolphins at Chakanaab seems to be a lot of fun. Is there a reef or beach somewhere for a little one that they can play w/small fish?

Do you recommend take a cab there or book through cruise directly?

I have a 3 and 8 year old....Labadee is completly safe! It's safer than any other port you are going to go to because there is the military presence guarding the fence (that I never saw...lol). You won't have that in Ocho that's for sure.

Grand Caymen - my oldest was too freaked out by the rays too. I am going to try to talk her into it the next time though. But 7 mile beach is a good choice.

Chakanaab - yes I had read that there is a children's area. You can read more about it here...

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp

I haven't done it yet so I don't know if you should do cab verses cruiseline. If no one answers it here, then try the ports of call board for Cozumel.

I have done Western a few times, twice with kids but they are older.

Labadee - never been but sounds like a good beach day.

Ocho Rios - we did the Falls, the younger and older family members don't have to climb the actual falls, they can climb the stairs along the side and watch you have a blast. I've done this twice and loved it! I also never had a concern with safety. I booked this on my own and one of the times we also went tubing down a river which was so relaxing (this was just DH and I). I can't remember who I booked with but check out the ports of call.

George Town - I've done the stingrays tour twice. The first time it was beautiful and the 2nd time with kids was very rough and they hated it. The 3rd time (2nd with kids) we just went to Sea Grape and had a nice relaxing day. DH and I, and the 2 older kids went parasailing and that was a blast too.

Cozumel - Love it here! We booked the dolphin swim at Chakanaab and it was worth every penny! There is a beach there too with a small lagoon for the littlest ones. Decent snorkeling too. DH and I have also gone to Paradise Beach and that was very nice too - water trampoline, giant water iceburg to climb. Bar service right on the beach too. Very, very nice day here but we didn't have the kids with us.

Enjoy your first cruise! It is so nice to go with family!

my fam of 4 returned from VOS 2 weeks ago. Get off the ship in Jamaica! I read so many negatives, i was considering just staying on as well, but decided last minute to book a guide. (we docked in Montego Bay) Best decision ever! We used A-Z vacation planners. Our guide was Mark. Awesome. It was our favorite port. They'll customize any tour for you. My kids are 10, 7. We did Mayfield Falls, Pork Pit for lunch and Dr Cave beach. THe falls may be a bit difficult for some of the older family members. Not sure of their abilities. In Cozumel we did Nachi Cocum beach resort. Highly recommend. All food, drinks, chairs included for the day. We had a great time there. Have fun!!!!!!

Archived