Would I like the Destiny?

ebandive

Given that I have only done Carnival Imagination and RCL Grandeur of the Seas, would I like the Destiny? I found a good rate out of Miami, and was excited as this would be the biggest ship I've been on yet, but after reading some reviews, it seems that many of you don't like it!! Is it just because you have been on bigger/better/newer ships and so you are unimpressed? I woudn't be going for the itinerary, I just love to cruise. So, if I'm stopping at ports I've already been to (but liked), should I take this ship or pay more for a different ship/itinerary? HELP!! :confused:

If you want to have a great cruise, you will! Plus, the Destiny is being refurbished before it switches to the Miami itinerary, so it should be in a lot better shape than it is now. (And, even then, I had a good cruise on it two weeks ago). The ship should be fine!

We enjoyed it. Definitely doesn't have some of the immenities of the newer ships (i.e. supper club, ability to review S&S bill on TV), but we still enjoyed it. Found it to have the biggest shower of any ship we have been on yet. Didn't even notice wear and tear... and our last two ships were both less than 3 years old when we were on them.

Dive, as you've already noted, you're going to get mixed reviews. Some people love the Destiny, some hate it, and then there are all those in-betweens. There are any number of factors that may make or break any one person's vacation - but even after reading all the praises or curses of Carnival Destiny the only opinion that will really matter to you.....is yours. :)

I would suggest you take advantage of that schweet deal you found and make the cruise what you want it to be.:cool:

Repsol

Ebandive - My DH and I went on the Destiny back in September, and we loved it. No the Destiny isn't the newest ship out there but it definately has a lot of years left in her. I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you decide to cruise on her. I say take the cruise and have a blast!

Given that I have only done Carnival Imagination and RCL Grandeur of the Seas, would I like the Destiny? I found a good rate out of Miami, and was excited as this would be the biggest ship I've been on yet, but after reading some reviews, it seems that many of you don't like it!! Is it just because you have been on bigger/better/newer ships and so you are unimpressed? I woudn't be going for the itinerary, I just love to cruise. So, if I'm stopping at ports I've already been to (but liked), should I take this ship or pay more for a different ship/itinerary? HELP!! :confused:

someone will correct me if i am wrong, but i believe the negative reviews were associated with sailings from san juan, for one reason or another.

i am not saying there is anything is wrong with sailing "from" san juan. i have never left from there.

someone will correct me if i am wrong, but i believe the negative reviews were associated with sailings from san juan, for one reason or another.

quote]

The reviews that I was referring to had to do with the age and condition of the ship and it being hard to navigate. I've already read plenty about ships departing from san juan, and quite frankly, I don't care. :rolleyes:

Thanks, tennislover, for letting me know that the ship is being refurbished. I wasn't aware of that. Does anyone know what they are updating or where I could fine this information?

has anybody been on both the destiny and the imagination?

Thanks everyone for all your help and opinions! :D

Hi!

This is the reply I got from John Heald regarding Destiny renovations:

"The answer……lots. Complete refitting of the public rooms and cabins as well as the addition of a Big Screen Theatre on Lido deck."

Sounds nice to me!

The reviews that I was referring to had to do with the age and condition of the ship and it being hard to navigate. I've already read plenty about ships departing from san juan, and quite frankly, I don't care. :rolleyes:

Thanks, tennislover, for letting me know that the ship is being refurbished. I wasn't aware of that. Does anyone know what they are updating or where I could fine this information?

has anybody been on both the destiny and the imagination?

Thanks everyone for all your help and opinions! :D

i think you misunderstood my post. i never intimated that san juan WAS a problem, i merely thought that perhaps the negative reviews you read were associated with sailings from there.

my post was made only to point out that if these were your concerns with the reviews, look to see if they had that common thread. since your sailing wld not be departing from that port. so...:rolleyes: back 'atcha.:p

...The reviews that I was referring to had to do with the age and condition of the ship and it being hard to navigate...

oh and where was this info in your OP?:rolleyes:

shame on me for forgetting to take my mind reading pill this morning.

sorry about the confusion! :o

truecruiser- I wasn't rolling my eyes at you... but at all the the sillyness I read of people complaining about other cultures. I thought I had been clearer than I actually was by saying "bigger/better/newer". Completely my fault. Sorry!! ;)

The reviews that I was referring to had to do with the age and condition of the ship and it being hard to navigate. :D

Count me as an "in-between". We have had a good time on our cruises, but I don't know if a different ship would have made a difference. I doubt it. We're on vacation and make the most of everything we can.

Recently we have only been on Destiny class ships (Destiny and Victory). Just remember that decks 5 (Promenade) and 9 (Lido) are the only public decks that go from the front of the ship to the back. The main problem will be remembering which stairs/elevators to use to get to your dining room.

Exactly when is the Destiny being refurbished?

I'm trying to decide on a December cruise on the Destiny or on RCL Navigator of the Seas.

Any opinions?

Thanks.:)

It's happening in September...In fact, I'm pretty sure it's only going to be out of dry dock for a week or so when we cruise in October.

Archived