Tell me about "Duncan"

I will probably get rockets from all of the good folks of Duncan but candidly if there were 10 places to visit in BC I would pick Duncan 11th. It is just a town you drive thru on your way from Victoria to Nanaimo or vice versa. Now the drive over the Malahat Highway from Victoria is pretty and that pretty area ends about 15 miles before you get to Duncan. If you were to continue up the highway from Duncan towards Nanaimo there is a little town called Chemainus which has a number of its stores and building painted with murals. http://www.chemainus.com/

I agree with Putterdude again I too may get lots of boos...

However I would not waste my time with the drive up the Island unless you have lots of time in Victoria as there is so much to see and do in Victoria that is way better than the drive up the highway. As to scenery if you want spectacular scenery you want to drive the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler not the Malahat.

Now if you want to visit Chemainus that is a different story...

The answer to your question lies in how much time you have for this

part of your trip and the assumption that you will have your own

car, since you refer to the drive. Here are 2 suggestions:

1. An all-day circle trip from Victoria. Drive north over the Malahat portion of

the Trans-Canada highway through Duncan to Chemainus. Return

southward to Crofton and take the ferry from Crofton to Vesuvius on

Saltsping Island. Drive across Saltspring Island to Ganges, then to Fulford Harbour.

Take the ferry from Fulford Harbour to Swartz Bay and back to Victoria on

Highway 17.

See a map here: http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/maps/maps-sgi.html

2. Travel from Vancouver to Vancouver Island via ferry from Horseshoe

Bay to Nanaimo. Drive south from Nanaimo through Chemainus and Duncan,

then continue over the Malahat portion of TCH to Victoria.

See a map here: http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/

#1 would be a full day but includes a lot of interesting places.

#2 might be less time-consuming but could be modified by diverting

at Crofton to include Saltspring Island.

The possibilities are endless.

I have heard that the trip to Duncan from victoria is worth the drive. Can you tell me how far it is and what this town has to offer?

Victoria - Duncan is about 60km (40 miles). And everyone is right. Keep driving to Chemainus, another 15km.

Shame on you Putterdude & BOO to you BCHappyGal!!!:D

Duncan does look like a dump as you drive through (just like Nanaimo & most other western Canadian towns,from the main highway). If you go to the old town centre however, they have done a good job of doing up the old buildings, so it is quite nice, with quite a bit of character. You can also visit the Quw'utsun Cultural Centre to experience the local native/first nations culture & artwork, as well as visiting the totem poles around town, in this 'city of totems'. There is the BC Forest Discovery Centre & the, OK so I won't mention the world's largest hockey stick!!! They also have a thriving cultural scene in Duncan.

Where I really take exception, is the suggestion that the pretty scenery ends 15 miles south of Duncan. Get off the main highway. You are in the Cowichan Valley area, the 'warm lands', with it's Mediterannean climate. This is one of the wine growing areas of Canada, with beautiful countryside, farms, wineries & a lovely coastline. Enjoy the beauty of the old harbour in Millbay, explore the quaint waterside shops at Cowichan Bay & take a side trip out to the stunning scenery at Maple Bay & Genoa Bay. Visit a winery & have lunch.

Yes, you could risk your life driving the sea to sky highway, but you will be too scared to take your eyes off the road to enjoy the scenery!!!:p ;) :D

Graham.

I knew this was going to happen; yes I know Duncan has some pretty spots once you get off the highway, I used to be invloved in a major retail property there and have spent some considerable time in the community. I particualrly like it as you head down towards Maple Bay but I just never wake up in the morning and say "Wow, I really need to go to Duncan today".

One thing that you could consider would be a trip up Island from Victoria to Nanaimo and then return to Vancouver from Nanaimo. There are two ferry routes from Nanaimo, one leaves from Duke Point just south of Nanaimo and goes to Tsawwassen which is where you departed from to go to Victoria and the other is from Departure Bay, in Nanaimo and goes to Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver. The ferry trips are not as pretty as going to Victoria thru the Gulf Islands but the beauty of the Horseshoe Bay route is that it is only a 25 min drive into downtown Vancouver via the Lions Gate Bridge and Stanley Park. This will also allow you to see some of the towns on southern Vancouver Is. including Duncan. Here is the BC Ferries link http://www.bcferries.com/

Archived