Sun Review (feb23)

halliewd

I write a Trip Report that I send out to friends and family every year after our vacation...my report style is a bit different then most I see posted so I will just cut a paste a parts because when I was doing my homework before we left I found the review very helpful and want to return the favorite if I can

Here goes....1st your not going to hear me comment much about food......folk seem to have very different view on this so I guess it all depends what type to traveler you are.....we were please, never went hungry and heavens knows didn't lose weight :p

Travel Day “same ol same ol” got a shuttle to the airport for our 7am flight, flight was on time and once we were all crammed in like sardines we were off. Landed in Miami on time, grabbed our bags, a cab, and were on the ship by 1pm – things couldn’t have went smoother! Jay just added we left 10F and arrived to 85F J

Once on the ship we went and had lunch because rooms weren’t quite ready, half way into our lunch they announced all rooms ready. Our room was a mini suite 1201, nice size room for a cruise, king size bed, couch, 2 chairs, bathroom had a full size tub and separate dressing area and the best part our killer balcony it was huge 2 chairs and 2 loungers and straight forward so we could see it all J We also had a bottle of champagne on ice, a bottle of wine and a huge fruit basket. Jay went around taking pictures as I checked out all the nooks and crannies.

Our luggage didn’t get to the room until 5pm so we were off to check out the ship. 3:30pm we had the “muster drill” and after telling us women and children go 1st Jay blurted out “that’s OK if they go 1st then the sharks will be full by the time we get in” broke up the boredom and there was laughter all about.

Back to the room had a couple cocktails, unpacked, cleaned up, had a nice supper and called it a day we were exhausted

1st day out and it was a “sea day” Highlight was swimming in the pool and with the waves from the sea it would make the pool water shift from side to side, it was a hoot to watch others and even more fun once we got in. Had a late lunch and took a nap on our balcony then back out to the pool. Sat at the pool until I noticed Jay turning his normal shade of red. I asked “did you put sunscreen on”…..ah no – boys.

Monday Feb 25th

Roatan Day, woke up to sunny skies and quite a breeze. Had coffee on our balcony and watched the ship enter Roatan and dock, amazing how they can whip that huge thing of steel around.

Off the ship and found “Victor” our private tour for the day, easy to find and was introduced to our guide Anthony, very nice man that knew quite a bit about the island. Our day on the island started out just driving around; we saw 2 shipwrecks and Anthony told us the story behind both. The island is 36 miles long and 3 miles wide at its widest point we got to a high point of the island where you could actually see both sides. The inner structure is barely touched everyone lives on the outer edge, the middle of the island they call the “Bush” it is very lush and dense jungle like.

Then we stopped at Victors house where he has pet monkeys you can hold. We got to hold a one-year-old gorilla monkey he was so sweet I was in heaven!! Oh and where is Jay…??….at the junkyard across the street looking for a Roatan license plate. Good thing Anthony went with because no English was spoken….$5 later back Jay walks grinning ear to ear with a plate in hand. I guess everyone has to collect something on vacation.

From there it was off to snorkeling…it’s said Roatan has the 2nd largest reef. Doing my homework before leaving I had a place in mind I wanted to go to, but Anthony suggested a different spot, it was OK but not what we expected. After getting back on the boat and talking to some people that went to the spot I had pick out I wish I would have stuck to my guns and not let Anthony change my plan. Oh well live and learn and guess a reason to go back to Roatan.

Did a little shopping but nothing caught my eye, just gave my toys/suckers away that I bring every year to the local kids.

Back to the ship for a late lunch start chatting with a couple and invited them back to our cabin for a cocktail and to watch the ship leave port…they agreed we had a killer balcony/view.

Tuesday Feb 26th

Belize Day, another sunny day!! Got up and had breakfast had to get to our meeting areas because today we are going to Shark Ray Alley. Nice group loaded on good size boat and off we were, saw beautiful landscape and finally made it to our snorkeling spot. Rays were all around us in minutes, sadly no nurse sharks.

Got in the crystal clear water and played with the Rays. Then our snorkel guide took us through the reef for an hour and a half. We have never had to follow a guide before but I have to admit is was better than I thought he took us in very close and into spots I wouldn’t have gone into by myself, Jay got some great pictures.

Now off to Ambergis Cay a little island off of Belize to the north. We had a nice lunch and then off to sightsee San Pedro the town we were in on Ambergis Cay. I of course was looking for great shops while Jay was looking for Junk Yards….and guess who got their treasure 1st….??…Yep Jay got a Belize license plate, once he was happy I could drag him just about anywhere. Shopping in the inner streets got unbelievably hot, so back to the beach. Loaded the boat and back to the ship we headed, rum punch was flowing and a good time had by all.

Wednesday Feb. 27th

Cozumel Day, a bit overcast but actually a nice break. Had a nice breakfast and tendered over to Cozumel, we had VIP tendering (perk of a suite) so we could hop to the front of any line J

Once on land what a difference from the last 2 days, not only cooler but with 9 ships at port and shops everywhere, Cozumel is so much more commercialized then Belize and especially Roatan, which is practically untouched. Walked around for several hours picked up a couple things but you can only go into so many shops before enough is enough. Walked a few blocks off the main drag hoping to get Jay another plate but no luck, no real junkyard and the few people we asked said they have to turn in the old plates to get new plates so Jay was SOL in Cozumel L

Stopped for a couple beers and people watched then decided to head back to the boat, glad we headed back when we did because the sea got real rough real fast and the tenders were bouncing around quite a bit.

Thursday Feb 28th

Sea Day, a bit overcast and cool L Boy last night the ship sure was a rocking it is amazing that big ship can be tossed around like it does on the water. Not sure how the older folks get around when the seas get that rough we were hanging onto walls just to go to the bathroom.

Friday Feb 29th

Nassau Day, started out partly cloudy but soon became sunny J Ate breakfast and off the ship to go on our Catamaran Snorkel Tour.

Once on our Catamaran we took a quick ride out to the snorkeling spot and once ready jumped in – oh man the water was cold. After a few minutes we were fine but what a difference from Roatan and Belize. Snorkeling was great we saw more fish than we probably have every seen on past snorkeling trips. After an hour back on board. Docked and jumped off to do a bit of shopping man just as bad as Cozumel, shops every where and high pressure, I got my 1st knock off purse. Stopped at a nice place and had a couple beers and people watched (man must be getting old, we have people watch more this trip then any before J)

Saturday March 1st

Travel Day, Miami was cloudy and actually had a few sprinkles. Jay was up early and the ship was just docking when he looked out – Miami was very pretty with everything all lit up. Ate our last meal on board and walked the ship one last time. Met in our VIP area, got called to disembark, it went super smooth, got a cab and to the airport in no time. Now checking luggage was another story, super strict on bag weight thankfully ours were OK and super slow.

Overall we had a great time!! We love the concept of a cruise but feel we are more the destination type. Just don’t get a good enough feel for a place in 6-8 hours.

Going to Roatan in a week or so on the Sun and plan to do the same thing as you, with Victor. But what is the snorkeling spot you wish you would have gone to first? We plan to do snorkeling and don't want to miss out on the best spots if possible.

Chris

Yes...also wanting to know the original snorkel spot you had hoped to go, and where the guide actually took you. We had that happen in St. Thomas on a cruise, but I stuck to my guns and was thankful I did. I think taxi drivers get kickbacks from certain spots.

halliewd:

Thank you for posting your review. There are seven of us sailing on the Sun on March 22nd and we are looking forward to the cruise. We are also doing a Victor tour on Roatan and are trying to figure out what is best for our group (aged 4 - 68) since snorkling in likely out and I don't know if our youngest can do the zip lines.

A stop by Victor's house sounds like fun but we would like some beach time where there is also shade for my DMIL. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Thanks for the great "play by play".

#1) You did say you had special consideration with a "mini suite" right? I am considering an aft one but as this will only be my 2nd cruise just don't know if it's worth the extra $$.

#2) You felt it was worth it but would you say the same if it was aft?

#3) any problems with an aft location - fijord deck?

The bigger closet and bath appeal.

#4) Is the balcony bigger too? My best friend is a but large so I am giving that some added "weight" too.

#5) My brother is coming along and I am concerned if the Priority stuff would exclude he and his family and get us separated? Your opinions and answers to a newbie's 20 questions THANKS

John

We love riding Harley's so a little wind never bothers us :p

the only day we thought it was to windy on the balcony was the 2nd sea day but we had a cold front go through so it was cool anywhere outside.

noise...wasn't bad you could hear the bass from the band a bit but we were normal so tired we fell right to sleep

Thanks for the great "play by play".

#1) You did say you had special consideration with a "mini suite" right? I am considering an aft one but as this will only be my 2nd cruise just don't know if it's worth the extra $$. We asked for the VIP tender and tags....they gave them to us because they just them away at the 1st of the year and some of us were not awhere of that so they honored some of the old perk until it is better communicated

#2) You felt it was worth it but would you say the same if it was aft? I can only speak about the forward and we loved the larger room and ballcony....many seem to prefer the aft because of less wind#3) any problems with an aft location - fijord deck? again can't comment we were on thr pool deck straight forwardThe bigger closet and bath appeal.

#4) Is the balcony bigger too? My best friend is a but large so I am giving that some added "weight" too. our ballcony was about 86 sqaure feet not sure about the aft ballcony#5) My brother is coming along and I am concerned if the Priority stuff would exclude he and his family and get us separated? Your opinions and answers to a newbie's 20 questions THANKS

again not sure if they will be giving out all the perks in the furture they were getting away from it with the mini suites

Archived