Arcadia or Cunard

JeanBart

We are booked on the Arcadia World Cruise 2009 (UK to Melb) and are worried about what to do all day whilst we're abaord. We really like the Enrichment/lecture programs offered on the Cunard ships, and of course love the library. Can anyone give information as to what is offered on the Arcadia. We also seem to have heard alot about the 'extra' chrages for just about everything on the Arcadia. We have a couple of months before we need to finalise our booking. Any and all information would be appreciated.

Have you lots and lots of sea days in a row then??

I would of thought Arcadia will cater for you in the same way as cunard, the hydro pool and spa are lovely on Arcadia, there will be talks, all manor or things to do, I joined a computer digital camera course when i was on there, did reflexology, swam, went to port talks, sun bathed, went to gym, etc etc.

Have you seen my photo album 'ALL ABOUT ARCADIA' yet? Over 55 photos just of the ship inside and out, here is the link...

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia

Sue

Arcadia does have a class/lecture room which is used for lectures and classes on board during the day May not be as full as Cunard, but P&O do have a different selection of activities on the world cruises and various lecturers join at different ports on route. The libuary on Arcadia isnt as big as those on Aurora and Oriana. Also there is no cinama. But I am sure you will find plenty to keep you busy during the sea days.

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised on both ships and found there was plenty to do on Arcadia. The staff and service was better for us on Arcadia. We also don't like cold plates or the wine turning up halfway through the main course as we consistantly had on the QM2. However we thought the QM2 was a beautiful ship, Arcadia doesn't have the wow factor. We were dissapointed with Cunard for lots of reasons. It was way more expensive and I think the expectation was higher from the marketing so it was more of a let down. It's a shame as we have cruised on lots of lines and would be worried about trying them again.

Broadwater,

I think it sometimes depends on the waiting staff. It is shame that you were disappointed with the QM2 as we had first rate service for our Transatlantic Crossing in May 2006. I have heard that shorter cruises out of New York seem to have lower standards iof service for some reason. It shouldn't happen but it seems to! I haven't heard the same about the short hops to Hamburg from Southampton.

You didn't say what itinerary you had on QM2 but I think that everyone would agree that a Transatlantic Crossing shows her off at her best. I am sailiong on Ventura later in the year and really looking forward to it. We would also jump at the chance to sail on the QM2 again.

Happy cruising.

Eddie :-)

Eddie,

We were on the Christmas/New Year 14 night cruise around the Caribbean on the QM2. I know some cruises are better than others with regards to staff/service etc maybe we were unlucky but I have spoken to quite a few other people who have been on the QM2 and been disappointed. I think it can be hit and miss. I'm sure lots of people love it though. I think Cunard had more problems when they started with QM2 as they didn't have a pool of staff to take over from another ship in the fleet like some of the bigger lines do. It was a few years ago we went so maybe it's got sorted out.

If anything can tempt me it would be Transatlatic crossing. We've been on lots of Celebrity, P & O, Princess and Oceania cruises and have found the service to be consistant. Maybe on those we have just had lucky cruises!

Archived