How to get to the Bacardi factory

lostatsea2

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to get to the Bacardi Factory from the Cruise pier. I recall someone writing about a ferry. Also is going without a tour recommended? Any help would be appreciated.

We did it and it was really easy. Just get off your ship in downtown San Juan and ask where the ferry is. It is located right next to the cruise ships. Take the ferry across the bay (cost is around $1). Once you get across the bay there are plenty of taxi's. Just ask themt ot ak you to Bacardi. (cost is around $3-4 per person). Once at Barcardi they will put you in on a tour which includes 1-2 free drinks. When done get the taxi back and then the ferry. My husband and I did this entire tour for less then $15. It was a great tour.

Margord, how long did this take in total? Do the ferries run very often. We will be docking in San Juan early AM on Saturday, March 29th and our flight out is 6:00 p.m. so we were thinking of doing this. Just want to make sure we have enough time. Any help would be ppreciated!:)

Thanks for your help! I think that is just what we will do. Do you know whick pier the Explorer docks at?

Sorry, can't remember the pier number but if you are in town looking at the dock the ferry was to the right.

Marilee

Margord, how long did this take in total? Do the ferries run very often. We will be docking in San Juan early AM on Saturday, March 29th and our flight out is 6:00 p.m. so we were thinking of doing this. Just want to make sure we have enough time. Any help would be ppreciated!:)

Shouldn't be a problem. The ferries ran often. Maybe every 1/2 hour. Can't remember for sure but do remember not waiting very long. We enjoyed the tour at Barcardi and the free drinks were nice too. Nice gift shop; got DH a nice Barcardi golf shirt and some shot glasses.

Marilee

I think taking the ferry over is one of the best ways to do Bacardi- it is fast, easy, cheap and no worries about drinking and driving. I don't know if going via a tour is "worth" it (they charge like $35-$40 a head) but for like the $10 it will take all to go via ferry, it is good.

The Catano ferry is at Pier 2.

I did a review of my tour there, so you get an idea of what it is:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/02/14/bacardi-rum-factory-a-tour-free-drinks/

I think taking the ferry over is one of the best ways to do Bacardi- it is fast, easy, cheap and no worries about drinking and driving. I don't know if going via a tour is "worth" it (they charge like $35-$40 a head) but for like the $10 it will take all to go via ferry, it is good.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/02/14/bacardi-rum-factory-a-tour-free-drinks/

I totally agree and I'm not real good on going out on my own. But this was really easy.

Marilee

• 2 weeks later...

The ferry to Cataño was right next to our ship. See image below, the cruise ship in the background is RCL Liberty of the Seas.

La Lancha de Cataño (The Cataño Ferry) is a ferry service that is widely known by Puerto Ricans and used by tourists that visit Puerto Rico. Despite what the service's name might lead people to think, this ferry service is provided with multiple boats not just one ship.

It essentially covers only one route: from San Juan's dock to Cataño ferry terminal. Since most people who used the service initiated the trip in San Juan, it became known as "La Lancha de Cataño", because, it is believed that people use the service mostly to travel from San Juan to Cataño.

San Juan's dock, one end of La Lancha's multiple daily round trips.

It currently costs fifty cents. Tickets can be bought at the ferry terminals.

Round-trip services leave both Catano and San Juan's terminals every five minutes, and, very often, passengers on one "Lancha de Cataño" ship find themselves waving at passengers on another "Lancha de Cataño".

Services are run from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. on most days. The services are available seven days a week.

1856444046_catanoferry.JPG.b96696d6f6848246b03d908d00b22c52.JPG

Our ship doesn't dock in San Juan until 2 PM and I noticed that the last tour is at 4:30. Will we make it? Also, if the final tour is in Spanish, we are out of luck!

I think you will make it. You get off the ship by 2:30, get on the ferry, get a taxi- you are there by 3:30 or so.

Unfortunately, no way of knowing if the last tour is English or Spanish. But, you may be able to request English if no one else is there. Inside they do have hand held devices that you can use if the last tour is in Spanish.

The Bacardi Plant closes at 6pm, so you won't have time to get there. I think they have some night tours through the cruise ships only.

You can walk around OSJ on your own, most things are closed, but the buildings are light up and it is very pretty at night.

If you are in OSJ before May, stop in at Don Q- they offer free drinks of their tasty rum (they close at 8pm, but after May1 they close at 6p).

A short horse and carriage ride, or Segway tour is not too expensive and both fun. Or the night walking tour of OSJ.

Mondays are tough at night- not too much going on.

I totally agree and I'm not real good on going out on my own. But this was really easy.

Marilee

I agree Margord,

Coquishideaway thank you for the review. I almost booked this tour through the cruise line (RCCL) but didn't because the leave the ship at 8 and I wanted to leave the ship at 9-930. I think I'd rather go this route.

thanks again.

Any other suggestions?

Any other suggestions?

I have been there a lot (living here, we get a lot of visitors!) and I know this is going to sound really bad (like I have a problem or something but...)

We never have trouble getting extra drinks- just talk to the bartenders, joke with them, ask about specific types of rum you would like to try. They are really nice guys.

Also ask for a mixed drink, not one of the pre-made ones (they usually have a Mojito already made and something else). The pre-made ones are not as strong as hand mixed ones.

Also this is the only place you can get a 10 pack of the little individual sized rum bottles (for gifts).

I have been there a lot (living here, we get a lot of visitors!) and I know this is going to sound really bad (like I have a problem or something but...)

We never have trouble getting extra drinks- just talk to the bartenders, joke with them, ask about specific types of rum you would like to try. They are really nice guys.

Also ask for a mixed drink, not one of the pre-made ones (they usually have a Mojito already made and something else). The pre-made ones are not as strong as hand mixed ones.

Also this is the only place you can get a 10 pack of the little individual sized rum bottles (for gifts).

Very good to know.;)

What else have you done in San Juan that's not too far away or time consuming?

Can anyone tell me if Bacardi is open on Thanksgiving? Just realize our ship(Grandeur) will be there on Nov. 27. We were there in Dec. 2007 and are eager to go back(especially to the store) because I broke my very favorite Bacardi glass:( .

Thanks,

I would recommend for people coming to SJ for the first time to walk around Old San Juan. Lots of ways to do it- walking, trolley, horse and buggy, even Segway (my newest fun!).

I highly recommend the Museum of the Americas- it is a great group of museums and has a fantastic Indian section. I think it is just $3.

For art, the National Gallery is great. Lots of other little museums around town.

If you are really not into history, art, museums, architecture or shopping, then head out.

The Bacardi is a nice way to spend some time if you are not into active stuff- it is air conditioned and interesting and laid back.

Zipline tour if you are decently active- it is not hard to do at all.

I have a blog of my day trips- here is the OSJ sections- go down the list and find what interests you!

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/category/oldsanjuan/

As a tip- anywhere you go that will have air conditioning (museums- bring a sweater- it is cold!).

Can anyone tell me if Bacardi is open on Thanksgiving? Just realize our ship(Grandeur) will be there on Nov. 27. We were there in Dec. 2007 and are eager to go back(especially to the store) because I broke my very favorite Bacardi glass:( .

Unfortunately, I think no, but you can call them to check: 787-788-8400

Unfortunately, I think no, but you can call them to check: 787-788-8400

Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately that is what I thought. When it gets closer to cruise time I will give them a call. I wonder how many other places will be closed..........:(