Passports, birth certs, and notarized letters....oh my!!!

ShedQueen77

I just need someone to help me make sure I have this right and to answer a few quick questions.

Background: We're sailing on Inspiration to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. My kids will be 12, 7, and 5. I am no longer married to my kids' father. We get along fine and he is completely OK with my getting them passports and signing the letter so they can come with us.

1. Passports vs. BCs: The kids don't have them, DH and I do. I know that PPs are always the best idea and we are strongly leaning towards this.

a)However, IF I should choose to just let the kids sail using their BCs, what else do they need besides? Do they really need a type of photo ID at this age? None of them have one.

b) Getting back on the ship - do the kids need the BC/ID/Passport plus their Sail and Sign cards too like adults do? Or are the S&S cards only needed?

2. Notarized letter: I have a "permission to travel to XYZ" letter all ready that we just need to get notarized. Do you really need custody papers and all that jazz too? If so, what is the purpose of having the letter? I really don't feel comfortable dragging all my custody papers around. We have joint physical custody besides, so I don't see what a difference the papers would make. My XH is very easy to contact in case needed.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to cruising with the kids! Thanks for your help!

Hello,

I just got back from a cruise three days ago with my three kids. We did the passports and everthing went very smoothly. We did have to present them at some ports,other times seapasses only. We just took them whenever we got off so there wouldn't be any hastle. Have a wonderful time!

I hear you on the extra paperwork nightmare. I am traveling with my DD and her Dad is staying behind. The notorized letter giving permission to cruise is highly recommended. Some ports might ask some not, have had more trouble with airlines (domestic) than anything oddly enough. Passports are best, but according to fellow posters most will accept BCs. I am of the belief that it is better to have and not need, then need and not have so I will be taking her PP, a notorized letter giving permission about the cruise as well as a copy of her vaccines and medical permission that her father will also notorize. I have extended family (my side) going with us and most of this would be in case she would be with them, or if I would be hurt as well. It always seems to pour when I have bad luck so I usually over prepare. She was also adopted by her dad who used to be her step father and sometimes this trips people up because she has an amended birth certificate, and legal name change. I used to bring a copy of that order as well, but since the PP less people question it as she has the same name as we do. If you do a port search, you can find out what their countries require (if they want to make an issue). Remember though, what may be policy for cruisers, may not be policy for air passengers and should you require to fly out or miss the boat and have to fly to the next port, different documents may be required. I am not trying to be a downer, but if you are like me, what you might be willing to chance if its only you, just might be different if your kids are involved.

I could be wrong, but I thought everyone would need passports to cruise by the summer of 2008. So you should get a passport now while they still do not take that long to process. When we booked our upcoming cruise, that's what the PVC told us at NCL, but we got them anyway for our cruise in March.

We also bring the notarized letter for consent to travel from my XH as well as DH's XW whenever we have travelled and have never been asked for it. But I like to be prepared! I have never brought custody agreements but I have brought my marriage license. We are also taking DD's friend and will have all of this for her too. Here's a copy of the letter I am using:

March 4, 2008

I, parent’s name, authorize my minor child, child’s name and DOB, to travel with her mother, (name), on a Caribbean cruise on Date – Date. She will be flying aboard Delta #### from _________ to ___________ on (Date). The return flight is aboard Delta #### from _________ to _________ on Date.

The cruise departs Miami, FL on March 23, 2008 aboard the Norwegian Dawn. We will be visiting the following ports of call:

Samana, Dominican Republic

St. Thomas

Tortola, B.V.I.

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

In addition, I authorize (name) to consent to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed: ____________________________________ (Parent)

Address: ____________________________________

Telephone #: ____________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, Notary Public

This ______________ day of _________________, 2008

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Thanks! I think I'll bite the bullet (or rather my wallet) and get the PPs for the kiddos. I have to send mine in for a name change anyhow, so might as well do them all at the same time.

I'll make sure to bring the letter along. I'll check the information on the ports as well (Cozumel and Grand Cayman) to make sure I don't need anything extra, just in case.

March 4, 2008

I, parent’s name, authorize my minor child, child’s name and DOB, to travel with her mother, (name), on a Caribbean cruise on Date – Date. She will be flying aboard Delta #### from _________ to ___________ on (Date). The return flight is aboard Delta #### from _________ to _________ on Date.

The cruise departs Miami, FL on March 23, 2008 aboard the Norwegian Dawn. We will be visiting the following ports of call:

Samana, Dominican Republic

St. Thomas

Tortola, B.V.I.

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

In addition, I authorize (name) to consent to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed: ____________________________________ (Parent)

Address: ____________________________________

Telephone #: ____________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, Notary Public

This ______________ day of _________________, 2008

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Thanks for sharing your letter, it is very helpful and very through!!

Archived