10 Day Panama Canal FLL/ACA Questions

jt58203

Just wondering if the 10 Day Exotic Panama Canal Cruise (March 23, 2009) does the actual transit though the canal. I'm guessing it does since it departs in Fort Lauderdale and ends up in Acapulco :) but I'd like some reassurance. I know I probably would enjoy a longer cruise but have time and $$$ restraints. A balcony or higher category is a must, but is there any preference having a cabin on the port or starboard side? By choosing this itinerary would I be seeing the "must see" ports or would I be missing out on some great places? Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

According to the cruise atlas that I have the 10 day goes between Ft. Lauderdale and Acapulco, its called Panama Canal Adventurer. It leaves from Ft. Lauderdale, sea day, Ocho Rios Jamaica, sea day, Panama Canal from 7am-4:30pm then Fuente Amador Panama for Panama City from 5pm-10pm, sea day, Costa Rica(Puntarenas) 7am-7pm. Nicaragua , Guatemala, Huatuclo Mexico and Acapulco. We were on the 10 day Panama cruise where we went through just one lock, your cruise probably would go through three locks and then down toward Mexico.

The Exotic Panama Canal cruise is a 14 dayer from LA to Ft. Lauderdale.

On our 10 day we visited Aruba, Cartagena Columbia and Costa Rica (Limon) so our ports were a little different than the ones you will visit. I'm sure the ports are nice I don't know about the Mexican ports. We have never been there. We had a balcony on the port side of the ship which was very nice. If you want to see the ship going through the locks you would have to be in the front of the ship or watch it from your cabin on the T.V. because even if you have a balcony you will only see the action on the sides of the ship.

I know there are probably more informed cc people that will give you more info. Have a great cruise.

Your cruise will be a full transit. One of my favorites.

Last December, we did an 11 day canal cruise from San Juan to ACA. It was a great cruise. We stopped at Costa Rica, Niceragua, Guatemala, Huatulco and Acapulco on the Pacific side. Found them very enjoyable. On the Atlantic side, we stopped at Curacao, Aruba and Cartegena. Thought Cartegena was the best of the 3, but also enjoyed Aruba and Curacao. Sounds like you will be stopping at Ocho Rios--there are things to do there, but not one of my favorites.

I would suggest staying an extra day in Acapulco. I saw a lot of posts from people that have disembarked in ACA, and flown out on that day. It sounds like the airport was horrendous. We stayed over one night and left the following day, and the airport wasn't too bad. You can get some decent inexpensive hotels in the Golden Zone. We got a cab at the port and he gave us a 2 hour tour of Acapulco. It included some of the hotels that were hot spots (for movie stars) in the 50s and 60s, but are no longer tourist attractions--I found it very interesting. We then spent some time at the beach and then went to dinner at La Perla. That is the restaurant at La Quebrada (the cliff divers). If you go to dinner at sunset, you can take a couple of hours and see 2-3 shows that span the divers in the daytime, dusk, and dark. The food isn't the greatest, but it was a very fun time.

I would highly recommend this cruise.

On our Panama Canal transit, we had a Starboard balcony, and it was fantastic. Loved Curacao. It's so colorful and was fun to walk around town as everything was close. We snorkeled there. St. Thomas is a great place to dive. Someone mentioned Ocho Rios. We went there on a different cruise, and loved it. If you don't pay any attention to the peddlers (I just walk past as if they aren't there), then you'll be fine. We went to Dunn's River Falls and I HIGHLY recommend it. It's a beautiful falls that isn't steep at all and you can walk up it with a guide who holds your camera for you. As far as Acapulco, I definitely would stay an extra night. We LOVED Acapulco. See the cliff divers and go to Senior Frog's. The hotels in the fancier parts of town should be really nice. Seems our tour guide called the fancier district "Acapulco Diamond" if I remember correctly. Anyway, those are my thoughts, for what they're worth.

Here's the itinerary:

Day 1: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Day 2: At Sea

Day 3: Montego Bay, Jamaica

Day 4: At Sea

Day 5: Panama Canal and also Fuerte Amador, Panama (for Panama City)

Day 6: At Sea

Day 7: Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Day 8: San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Day 9: Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Day 10: Huatulco, Mexico

Day 11: Acapulco, Mexico

I'm mostly interested in history, culture, etc. and would do city tours, etc. Would you think I'd get my fix with this itinerary?

I just got off the Caribbean Princess on Sunday--first time cruise ever and had a great time. I'm hooked and want to plan the next one!

Your cruise will be a full transit. One of my favorites.

Last December, we did an 11 day canal cruise from San Juan to ACA. It was a great cruise. We stopped at Costa Rica, Niceragua, Guatemala, Huatulco and Acapulco on the Pacific side. Found them very enjoyable. On the Atlantic side, we stopped at Curacao, Aruba and Cartegena. Thought Cartegena was the best of the 3, but also enjoyed Aruba and Curacao. Sounds like you will be stopping at Ocho Rios--there are things to do there, but not one of my favorites.

I would suggest staying an extra day in Acapulco. I saw a lot of posts from people that have disembarked in ACA, and flown out on that day. It sounds like the airport was horrendous. We stayed over one night and left the following day, and the airport wasn't too bad. You can get some decent inexpensive hotels in the Golden Zone. We got a cab at the port and he gave us a 2 hour tour of Acapulco. It included some of the hotels that were hot spots (for movie stars) in the 50s and 60s, but are no longer tourist attractions--I found it very interesting. We then spent some time at the beach and then went to dinner at La Perla. That is the restaurant at La Quebrada (the cliff divers). If you go to dinner at sunset, you can take a couple of hours and see 2-3 shows that span the divers in the daytime, dusk, and dark. The food isn't the greatest, but it was a very fun time.

I would highly recommend this cruise.

My husband an dI decided to stay the extra day in Acpulco- I had heard hte stories and decided to see waht the price difference would be to stay the extra day- well worth it! I saved money. Now for the question I am guessing that you were one of hte last to leave the ship? How did you get your 'tour' of the city? Did you grab one of the taxis at the port? Thanks for any extra info you can share.

Gabrielle

Archived