Just back from the Destiny and Southern Carribean, any questions

telli01

We just returned home and we had a great time. Be on the lookout for my really long review (it hasn't been posted yet)! If you have any questions about the Destiny or about San Juan, St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Antigua, St Kitts, or St Maarten just ask! :D

I typed out (what ended up being 7 pages in word 14 pt font) and submitted it to the member review section on this site. It has to be looked at first and then posted so I'll let you know when it's up. We were off the ship at every port and we did beaches, shopping etc. If it doesn't post within the next 2 days, I'll post it here!

Looks like your had a great itinerary. What would you suggest for St. Thomas and St. Maarten? We're going there on the Glory in June. I went to St. Thomas about 12 years ago and all I remember is going shopping! Maybe I should see the sights this time!

Thanks,

Kathy

I have SO many questions! This is our first sailing out of San Juan, so I really don't know what to expect.

Can you really purchase liquor at the port?? That has always been such a "no-no", that I find it hard to beleive that it is so easy in San Juan. I keep telling DH that we can do that and he is insisting that we find a liquor store before we get to the port to "stock up" (Please don't flame me!! Just like a little drink before dinner while getting ready and just before bed on the balcony ;) ).

What is sail-away like so late in the evening?? We've always sailed out of Florida ports which have sail-away early evening, so I am wondering what it will be like at 10:00 PM. I assume it is either really pretty with all the lights or kind of a dud.....I am hoping it's wonderful - I always love sail aways!

How does the whole "board and then get off and explore Old San Juan" thing work?? Is there a special entry to get back on after you have officially boarded, or do you have to go through security all over again?

Again I want to thank you for asking if we have any questions. Everybody on here is always so great! I am looking forward to your review! Just 46 days and we will be sailing on her....not that I am counting! :D

Can we get a detailed review?

Did you visit any beaches on Antigua or St Kitts? Where did you go on your excursions?

We LOVED St. Kitts AND Antigua. We did a tour on St. Kitts (there aren't many beaches there) and we did snorkeling at Cades Reef in Antigua. Awesome islands- you can't go wrong on either of them.

Was there any information on what renovations will be made to the ship in Sept.?

We were told they will be renovating all of the bathrooms and replacing all carpet. I've also heard they are adding a big screen on lido and redoing public areas.

Looks like your had a great itinerary. What would you suggest for St. Thomas and St. Maarten? We're going there on the Glory in June. I went to St. Thomas about 12 years ago and all I remember is going shopping! Maybe I should see the sights this time!

Thanks,

Kathy

I'm so hoping that my review posts soon because it has lots of great details but in short, we toured St Thomas (this was our 3rd time there but my mom and sister's first, if we were by ourself we probably would have just gone to the beach). We went with Godfrey, he was ok-read my review for all the details- and then went to Coki Beach, I love it there, great for snorkeling! We did shopping, tour, and then beach time and back to the ship ($25 a person).

St Maarten we pre-booked with Bernard and LOVED him! He is really great. We did some shopping, toured the island, and went to Orient Beach. He provided water, sodas, rum punch, and beer during our tour so that was a nice extra!

I would say the shopping has declined as far as prices go in St Thomas over the years, it seemed St Maarten was a bit cheaper on larger items. Hope that helps!

I have SO many questions! This is our first sailing out of San Juan, so I really don't know what to expect.

Can you really purchase liquor at the port?? That has always been such a "no-no", that I find it hard to beleive that it is so easy in San Juan. I keep telling DH that we can do that and he is insisting that we find a liquor store before we get to the port to "stock up" (Please don't flame me!! Just like a little drink before dinner while getting ready and just before bed on the balcony ;) ).

What is sail-away like so late in the evening?? We've always sailed out of Florida ports which have sail-away early evening, so I am wondering what it will be like at 10:00 PM. I assume it is either really pretty with all the lights or kind of a dud.....I am hoping it's wonderful - I always love sail aways!

How does the whole "board and then get off and explore Old San Juan" thing work?? Is there a special entry to get back on after you have officially boarded, or do you have to go through security all over again?

Again I want to thank you for asking if we have any questions. Everybody on here is always so great! I am looking forward to your review! Just 46 days and we will be sailing on her....not that I am counting! :D

Like I said before, I really hope the review posts soon so you'll have all of the details. But in short, yes you can bring on liquor. My sister bought crown royal and vodka and put it in her carry-on and they didn't say anything. I would think as long as your not brining it on by the truck loads you'll be fine (they even tell you this in the liquor store at the port).

For sail away I think it's all in what you make of it. We had a blast, there's dancing, singing and of course drinking. It's a fun place to people watch too. It's nice getting to see the city lights at night as well.

Once you go through and get your sign and sail card, if you get back off the ship, it's like getting off in any other port. You have to scan your bags through security but nothing major and there are no lines, then just punch your sail and sign card back through when you enter the ship (they actually have 2 doors open, one for people just getting on the ship and the other for those who have been out sightseeing).

Hope that helps! You'll have a great time!

Archived