Southwest grounding 41 planes....

cpizzull

thank you for your comments, mach. i am on a flight sat, so i hope the one i get on is fine.

i can only proceed on the premise that they pilot and crew will not fly an aircraft which is unsafe. in light of recent media events and the fine that was subsequently slapped on them, i am going with the mindset that the plane i will be on will not have dangerous cracks in the fuselage.:eek:

Too bad there is not a site for planes like carfax.. type in the flight number and check on the inspections and maintenance...

Have a safe flight..

FWIW, I just called Southwest to check on our flights next Friday (3/21/08). The reservation agent I spoke to said that the planes are already back in the air and that our flights would not be affected.

Now, we all know that reservation agents have the most accurate, up-to-date information, don't we? Would she lie to me? :)

To my knowledge there have been NO incidents, near misses or possible tragedies - only the bureacracy rearing its ugly head. Southwest notified the FAA themselves of the missed inspections - not the other way around. I have no problems with flying on Southwest - they show more consideration for their passengers than most other airlines and until proven otherwise I will not panic. Glad I am not flying for 2 months though becuase taking 41 planes out of the mix cannot be a good thing for the traveling public.

How long do these inspections take? I still think this is a tempest in a teapot.

My entire neighborhood deals with airlines in some capacity or another. We have mechanics, air traffic controllers, mainline pilots, flight attendants, and machinists. This was kind of big news when it was announced around here. Most were not surprised with the FAA coming down that hard. Southwest being slapped with that kind of fine was not on the ability to pay but more to do with how long they let it go and what they did after they reported it. Wheres the checks and balances that should have been in place? How can they turn themselves in and then continue to fly the planes in clear violation of FAA regulations?

This not a fleet of automobiles that if something goes wrong a tow truck shows up.

When I was six hours late flying home from Ft. Lauderdale (SW) at the beginning of February, I said, "Yeah, our plane probably has a crack in it or something. They probably had to get us a new plane." Our six hour delay was because they had to round up a flight crew from Baltimore to fly down to Ft. Lauderdale to fly us to Philly. LOL Maybe it did!

As a frequent flyer on SWA I have never seen an incident of any type that made me feel unsafe ( well they did make the man take the live chicken out from under the seat in front of him and when he refused they did make him leave the plane with his chicken .. but I didn't feel unsafe .. just amused )

As a shareholder I think the fine was outrageous .. and I do hope that it is appealed but that is the way the world seems to work these days.

I feel like the News media is getting tired of politics and wanted to stir a bit of controversy by slinging some mud in a different direction

Just my opinion:)

As a frequent flyer on SWA I have never seen an incident of any type that made me feel unsafe ( well they did make the man take the live chicken out from under the seat in front of him and when he refused they did make him leave the plane with his chicken .. but I didn't feel unsafe .. just amused )

As a shareholder I think the fine was outrageous .. and I do hope that it is appealed but that is the way the world seems to work these days.

I feel like the News media is getting tired of politics and wanted to stir a bit of controversy by slinging some mud in a different direction

Just my opinion:)

Hey it could have been worse the FAA was wanting a 33 million fine. Passengers are rarely aware of most incidents that happen.

FWIW, I just called Southwest to check on our flights next Friday (3/21/08). The reservation agent I spoke to said that the planes are already back in the air and that our flights would not be affected.

Now, we all know that reservation agents have the most accurate, up-to-date information, don't we? Would she lie to me? :)

No, she wouldn't and didn't lie to you. It was on the news last night that all the planes that were grounded are up and running with no problems. All though SW did get slapped with a 10 million dollar fine! I always fly southwest and like their flight staff far better than any other airlines I have been on, not to mention the cheapest by far!

Archived