Markets?

LaurenPetersen

We want to do some shopping at the Markets in Coz.

Where are the best markets?

Anything we should not miss buying? Spices/ liquor/ art etc.?

Anything we should avoid buying?

I also love fabric... are there any places to buy fabric?

~Thanks~

Lauren

We want to do some shopping at the Markets in Coz.

Where are the best markets?

Anything we should not miss buying? Spices/ liquor/ art etc.?

Anything we should avoid buying?

I also love fabric... are there any places to buy fabric?

~Thanks~

Lauren

The main plaza is a virtual Mexican Flea Market now with booths lining the sidewalks. These merchants are temporarily displaced while the new "Flea Market" is being constructed near the center of that same plaza.

Do not bother with the International Mall, prices are high there and the sales people pick and choose who they deal with based on if you look like you have money.

We passed a fabric store back off the main strip a couple blocks while we were doing the race fantastique. We think it was on the street directly through the plaza area. Can't remember the name right now. If you want the typical shopping experience stay on the main strip in view of hte water. If you want cheaper souvenir stuff and to be able to haggle go a block or two off the strip. The prices will be marked just a little lower, but you can talk them down a lot.

You should check out the Mercado, which is a collection of vendors, on the Corner of Salas in the 20 to 25 Ave area.

You might also try Chedraui, which is an "all in one" type of shopping experience. Chedraui is on the main drag, south of town about 1/2 mile or so, in the Calle 17 area.

My daughter and I are going to Cozumel in a few weeks and I am wondering how difficult is it to get to the area where you can go shopping? Is it within walking distance of the pier? If we have to go by cab, do you know how much it will cost and if the cab drivers generally speak english? My spanish is extremely limited:eek: Thanks for any info.

My daughter and I are going to Cozumel in a few weeks and I am wondering how difficult is it to get to the area where you can go shopping? Is it within walking distance of the pier? If we have to go by cab, do you know how much it will cost and if the cab drivers generally speak english? My spanish is extremely limited:eek: Thanks for any info.

Taxi fares depend on which pier that you are docked at. It is about $6 from Puerta Maya or International to town but Punta Langosta is in town. Ask the driver how much before you get in. They speak enough English to take you where you want to go.

Your best shopping (lowest prices) are several blocks into town, away from the tourist traps, but you probably won't find anyone speaking English. My wife bought some sweats for $6. If you decide to shop on the main drag, always offer about half of the price that is posted. My SIL wanted a jacket that was $20. After haggling she got 2 for $22.

Taxi fares depend on which pier that you are docked at. It is about $6 from Puerta Maya or International to town but Punta Langosta is in town. Ask the driver how much before you get in. They speak enough English to take you where you want to go.

Your best shopping (lowest prices) are several blocks into town, away from the tourist traps, but you probably won't find anyone speaking English. My wife bought some sweats for $6. If you decide to shop on the main drag, always offer about half of the price that is posted. My SIL wanted a jacket that was $20. After haggling she got 2 for $22.

Thank you for the help.

Archived