Fort in San Juan

Muumuu

How far is the fort in San Juan from the cruise ship docks?

Is it walking distance?

And hours it is open?

There are two forts and both are in walking distance...I would google San Juan Forts for the times and maps to get there. They are both within 15 minutes walk from the port. If you have never been to them they are a must see. Do a tour when you get to them to learn the history. it took over 250 years to build them...:eek:

Oh yes...and since you are walking make sure you take in the capital building. The rotunda is beautiful.....

Which Fort are you referring to? There are two Forts (El Morro & San Cristobal) El Morro is the largest and the one everyone hears of and sees as you are coming into San Juan. That is about 1.5 miles from the pier and relatively easy walk, with some stopping and poking around it took us about an hour to get there (we stopped a bunch of times)

Then after El Morro you can walk along the ocean side and get to San Cristobal, then head straight down back to the ship.

Hope that helps

El lMurro is about a 5 min cab ride and a 15-20 minute walk. it is amazing! A must see n San Juan. that was the only one we went to so i can't comment about the others. I think they close about 5 or 6pm.

If you do decide to go to the distant fort (El Morro), I do have a seemingly strange suggestion: Go to the restroom, and take your camera or camcorder!

There are look-out balconies in the walls opposite the restroom entrances, and they offer perhaps the best view of the entire area. It's the first (and perhaps last) time I can say I took that many photos while in the restroom. :)

OK--here's the best tip of all. Walk to San Cristobal fort. it is right up the hill from the dock. THENNNNNNN, when you are done. Exit out the back exit near the water. Go to the end of the sidewalk at the exit, and wait for the trolley. it is a FREEEEEEEEE trolley that will take you to El Morro fort and all around old town. i repeat, it is free!! Runs every 10-15 minutes or so. We used it and the kids loved it.

PS--the trolley will take you back very close to the dock. They have maps onboard the trolley to show you the stops. It's great free transportation.

BTW--for adults to visit both forts 5.50. Kids under 12--FREE

Archived