RE: Food, formal night and another question

This has been a great site . . . so glad to have found this site before our first cruise on Carnival's Destiny at the end of this month . . . thanks to everyone who has posted in the past since it has made planning this trip much, much easier for me and my wife.

I did have a couple of questions which probably have been answered before, but I couldn't easily find the answer right away.

We're pretty simple, no-frills folks here so we'll probably skip the formal nights' dinners (even though it would have given me a chance to wear my Class A uniform . . . which normally only comes out for funerals -- it's just that we're not really dress up sort of folks and my wife hates getting dressed up) . . . while I realize we will not go hungry with the grill, buffet, pizza, etc. available my question is would I find the same (or similar) food at the buffet . . . more specifically if I happen to really, really like prime rib and it's only served on the formal night would I be out of luck?

Second question . . . what exactly should a man and woman wear at the regular night's dining if they want to not look out of place . . . slacks and polo type shirt for guy, slacks and dress shirt for the woman???

Thanks to all who are willing to reply.

more specifically if I happen to really, really like prime rib and it's only served on the formal night would I be out of luck?

Second question . . . what exactly should a man and woman wear at the regular night's dining if they want to not look out of place . . . slacks and polo type shirt for guy, slacks and dress shirt for the woman???

1. YES, There is no reason to skip out on dinner in the Dining room, the food there is great.

2. I wear a nice polo shirt and black dress pants, you can wear dockers etc. Wendy wears sundress or capris. What you posted above is great.

Fred

We're pretty simple, no-frills folks here so we'll probably skip the formal nights' dinners (even though it would have given me a chance to wear my Class A uniform . . . which normally only comes out for funerals -- it's just that we're not really dress up sort of folks and my wife hates getting dressed up) . . . while I realize we will not go hungry with the grill, buffet, pizza, etc. available my question is would I find the same (or similar) food at the buffet . . . more specifically if I happen to really, really like prime rib and it's only served on the formal night would I be out of luck?

We are also not the dress up type - but more the reason to do something different! I'm not trying to convince you to do something you don't want to do, but it worked for us. And I would be honored to dine with someone in uniform.

You definitely will not starve if you don't go to formal night, but out of luck with the prime rib!

See if you can sweet-talk your wife into dressing up a bit for formal night dinner. There's nothing like a man in uniform!!:)

To my knowledge, there's no prime rib on the buffet any night, and definitely no lobster tails. Besides, the ambiance of formal dining is worth the little trouble of dressing up.

Other nights, your planned attire sounds just fine.

When we were on the Elation last August they served Prime rib and shrimp for dinner in the buffet. Also they serve alot of the same soups during the week. We were actually impressed how good the food was.

At dinner in the dining room during casual nights you will be fine in slacks, jeans, capris.....pretty much anything but shorts.

I sure hope you can change your wife's mind about going into the dining room for formal nights. I'm totally a jeans and t'shirt kind of gal, but I will put on a dress for formal night. I'm sure it's not as dressy as some people I see in there, but on the other hand, I see others dressed much more casually. Bottom line, don't miss out on great food because of the way you are dressed! Just go in what you are comfortable in, and 2% will sniff and turn their noses up to you.....80% will not notice one way or the other, and the other 18% will probably be dressed just like you!;) :D

Archived