new - embarrassing question about spas

I'm new to this so bear with me, please. I will be cruising soon and would really like to have a message on the ship. Unfortunately, I'm 5'6" and weigh 205 lb, female. I'm wondering if any of you are built like I am and if the spa people treated you unfavorably. Please, I don't need anyone telling me to lose weight. I hear that enough as it is. I just want to be treated like I'm a feeling, caring, human being. I would love to have a massage but not if I'm made to feel badly about my size.

They will NOT make you feel bad about your size! I am overweight too and felt the same way. But, they make you feel very comfortable. Trust me, there are much larger people than you in there getting massages, etc. :)

OMG- stop worrying!

As a "fluffy" girl myself, AND as a massage therapist, please don't ruin your massage by thinking about this. They are trained, professional therapists. The last thing on their minds is your body composition. If you can't stop yourself from thinking about it, I would honestly tell you to maybe get a facial. If you can't relax, you won't enjoy the treatment, and that my friend, is a HUGE waste of money.

I am also a girl with voluptuous curves and I can tell from previous expeiernece at the on board spas that they were nothing but professional. They in no way made me feel uncomfortable and in no way offended me by anything they said or did. Go, have a spa treatment you will enjoy, and allw yourself to be pampered. You won't regret it, I promise!;)

OMG- stop worrying!

As a "fluffy" girl myself, AND as a massage therapist, please don't ruin your massage by thinking about this. They are trained, professional therapists. The last thing on their minds is your body composition. If you can't stop yourself from thinking about it, I would honestly tell you to maybe get a facial. If you can't relax, you won't enjoy the treatment, and that my friend, is a HUGE waste of money.

They are not trained professional therapists on the ships! They are girls in their 20's hired by Steiner and taught spa services. A few may have previous experience in the spa business but they are definately not professional therapists. They definately will be very friendly though and will not say anything to offend you as they want to sell you spa products as that is their bread and butter and reason for working on the ships.

Thank you both so much. You've given me the nerve to do it! I was at a local day spa once and overheard someone talking about the whale that they had just done (not me because I was still waiting). I just got up and left.

I used to have massages back when I was thin but that was before the steriods got me.:(

Please ease your mind about feeling comfortable---book a massage or two and any other treatment at the spa, and do enjoy the pampering.

Be aware, though, that it is basically part of the job at these spas to sell you as much as possible, be it more treatments or products or "consultations". Don't take it personally---we all get this (at first!) regardless of what shape we're in.....

When you go for your first appointment at the spa, you will be given a clipboard with a questionnaire on it, asking all sorts of health questions and then some more general questions. In my experience, you are not obligated to answer all of these---I answer them rather vaguely now. I took a good tip from another Cruise Critic member, and I now put a request on my form to not have any sales pitches for products or other services, and it has been successful.

I tip approximately 15% to 20% on my massages, added in on the sales slip to my Seapass, and have always gotten good massages because I have told the person exactly what I wanted or where it's been hurting, so in that regard, the more they know about you the better.

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It's hard to feel like I'm the only one that's "fluffy", as shancan said. I'll get used to this "me". Growing up, a slim was too big. Now here I am and I have to get used to it. Thank you again for your kind words of encouragement!

Be aware, though, that it is basically part of the job at these spas to sell you as much as possible, be it more treatments or products or "consultations". Don't take it personally---we all get this (at first!) regardless of what shape we're in.....

So true...now I just tell them right up front I will not be buying anything as I'd rather save it for the tip....;) no more telling me my skin is dry or I have "combination" skin. Go for it!!!!

last time my wife and I cruised on the Rhapsody she must have weighed 2oolbs and I weighed 275lbs. We both had massages and really enjoyed it. No comments were made, although I did feel bad about all the extra surface the girl had to work on.;) Lets face it, your there to have a good time. This is one of the best ways to insure a great trip. Don't worry about what anybody is going to say about the way you look. It is how you feel that matters. and I know from experience that there is nothing better than a cruise to make you feel great. So just sit back relax and enjoy yourself. Good Sailing, Murf.:)

I now put a request on my form to not have any sales pitches for products or other services, and it has been successful.

Thanks for passing on this fantastic advice! I can be rather direct, and didnt want to send the spa staff into a bad mood by flatly telling them not try and sell me anything. Writing it down will make it so much more comfortable.:)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It's hard to feel like I'm the only one that's "fluffy", as shancan said. I'll get used to this "me". Growing up, a slim was too big. Now here I am and I have to get used to it. Thank you again for your kind words of encouragement!

I've been fluffy for seven years now. Mine is caused by an illness and I'll probably always be fluffy. It's always an adjustment so I understand your wariness about being half naked and being touched by a stranger.

I've found the staff in the ship's spa to be wonderful and not at all judgemental. I've had wonderful massages and I look foward to more in a few days. Enjoy yourself. There's no better way to feel comfortable in your skin than to have it massaged ;)

Just a word of advice - book early if you want your massages or other treatments on a certain day. On busy cruises, the spots can fill up really fast, especially for sea days. We usually book them as soon as we get arrive on boarding day.

Of course, they do sometimes have selloffs later in the week. I wonder how many spots they really have for those selloffs.

Go for it!!! From another "puffy" gal. I have never cruised but plan to have at least one spa service on our 09 cruise. I have had a massages at other spas and have never felt like my size was a detterant or that I got inferior service. I am not that modest (having had 2 kids, various folks have seen some not so attractive parts of me!) but the folks doing the massages have always been very concientious about covering parts up, leaving the room for me to change etc. Relax and enjoy the pampering!

Thank you both so much. You've given me the nerve to do it! I was at a local day spa once and overheard someone talking about the whale that they had just done (not me because I was still waiting). I just got up and left.

I used to have massages back when I was thin but that was before the steriods got me.:(

Lookout1, relax and enjoy yourself. If only the trim and the ones with great bodies got a massage, the Spa's would probably be empty.

Don't worry about it!

very few women like their bodies and most of us felt uncomfortable during our first massage. relax and enjoy it! You will absolutely love it!

This is so true! I am not overweight but would like to change A LOT of things about my body.

Go and enjoy yourself. ;)

I work in the medical field, and anyone who gets a massage should drink lots of water. The massage may feel great but after a few hours, you may start feeling poorly, sometimes you can get sick! Drink water for a couple hours later.:)

I work in the medical field, and anyone who gets a massage should drink lots of water. The massage may feel great but after a few hours, you may start feeling poorly, sometimes you can get sick! Drink water for a couple hours later.:)

Great advice! I didn't know that.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement! I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has had these issues. You've helped all of us to feel better about relaxing on a massage table!

I agree with everyone else, size doesn't matter on how they treat you, I've weighed quite a bit more than you and had massages and never felt humiliated by the therapists. It's something I really look forward to on our cruises.

One thing I can tell you from experience, don't be pulled into their weight loss treatments where they'll wrap you in seaweed and you'll lose inches, it's just water weight and they'll tell you you need to come back every other day to retain the loss (and pay again) and once you leave the ship you'll need to use all kinds of stuff they sell to keep you detoxed. if you want to go the detox route, I'm sure it's cheaper somewhere close to home.

I agree with everyone else, size doesn't matter on how they treat you, I've weighed quite a bit more than you and had massages and never felt humiliated by the therapists. It's something I really look forward to on our cruises.

One thing I can tell you from experience, don't be pulled into their weight loss treatments where they'll wrap you in seaweed and you'll lose inches, it's just water weight and they'll tell you you need to come back every other day to retain the loss (and pay again) and once you leave the ship you'll need to use all kinds of stuff they sell to keep you detoxed. if you want to go the detox route, I'm sure it's cheaper somewhere close to home.

I know better than to do the detox. I know that you lose water weight because it dehydrates your muscles. BUT, it goes right back on after you rehydrate. I'm planning to do what I've read on other threads..I'm going to tell them up front that I like quiet, peaceful massages. That means, don't try to sell me stuff that I won't use when I get home. I have better use of my funds than that. Agree??

Archived