Ship excursion at Virgin Gorda

Grannycb

We'd like to go to Virgin Gorda but our ship is only in port from 7 AM until 1 PM. It looks like the only way to make sure we don't miss the ship is to go with their tour. Our other option is a cab to Cane Garden Bay. Any thoughts from those who have been there and done either with children?

We went to the Virgin Gorda Baths from Tortola on our own via Speedy's Ferry.

www.speedysbvi.com The ferry took 30 mins., then there was a 10 min. ride in their "taxi". It worked out really well for us, but we had more time. I would probably book an excursion through the ship then you wouldn't have to worry about making it back in time.

We too had a short stay at Virgin Gorda/Tortola not too long ago. I highly recommend taking your family to the Baths on the ship excursion. Not long enough, of course, but unforgettable!!!

There seems to be 2 excursions to the baths... 1 that they drive you to and the other that you boat to - but it warns that there is a short swim to shore. We will have a 2 and 5 year old. 5 year old can swim, 2 can't but both will have life vests.... anyone know how hard the swim would be? Is it something we could manage - DH (strong swimmer) carrying the youngest and me swimming with the oldest?

We are trying to avoid excursions with driving (car seat dilemma) - but are interested in anyone who's done one or the other of these excursions on your impression of what would be more enjoyable for all....

Thanks!

There seems to be 2 excursions to the baths... 1 that they drive you to and the other that you boat to - but it warns that there is a short swim to shore. We will have a 2 and 5 year old. 5 year old can swim, 2 can't but both will have life vests.... anyone know how hard the swim would be? Is it something we could manage - DH (strong swimmer) carrying the youngest and me swimming with the oldest?

We are trying to avoid excursions with driving (car seat dilemma) - but are interested in anyone who's done one or the other of these excursions on your impression of what would be more enjoyable for all....

Thanks!

If you enter the Baths from the top after riding there from the ferry you would need to climb down to the beach through boulders. Take a look at photos at webshots.com. I see photos of small kids on the beach. The "taxi" that took us to the top had rows of bench seats, open on the sides. There's a nice resaurant with a pool at the top with beautiful views. www.topofthebaths.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I haven't been on a ship excursion but have taken private boat charters over to V.G. 3X (once from St. Thomas and twice from Tortola). The boats moor about 100 feet or more off shore in beautiful, very clear water. All of the boats I've ever been on provide both life jackets and floats for non-swimmers. Your husband can kick/swim the float with your youngest on it (wearing a life jacket, of course!), in to shore. It is not a bad swim and if you have snorkel gear, there are some neat fish and underwater rock formations.

Or...take the ferry if you think that is a better choice for your family. The Baths are incredible and not to be missed. If you ever go without the kids, try with a guide who really knows them. We went all up and in the rocks and even jumped off of the top of the jumping rock - it was awesome!

Archived