shore excursions

Our first cruise ever! and we are on the ncl dawn in october. We are trying to figure out what shore excursions to book for 2 adults and 2 children 7 & 10. should we rent a car and venture into disney world on our own? is there enough time to get there and back and still enjoy the park? which park would be best? are the lines long in october? (also our first time in disney). I'm sorry so many questions...just trying to make the best of our time for the kids. thank you.

I dont know the hours your shiop will be in port.

Get your self the book "the Unofficial Guide to Disney" It shows you how to stay one step away from the crowds and dont have any wait in lines. We did October a few years ago and it was managable-- not like in the summer. And by following the book and seeing the stuff we were interested in seeing was able to see the Magic Kingdom in one day. (get your tickets ahead of time so you dont have to wait in that line) wonderful message board you can find ot the www.disboards.com

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

• 2 months later...

We went to Disney World last Oct. before our cruise. On Friday Epcot was moderately crowded but not enough to impede our fun. On Sat. Disneyworld was so crowded we were very disappointed and felt we had wasted our money. Too crowded to go on many rides.

Are you sailing out of Port Canaveral, or is Port Canaveral one of your ports?

It'll take you 45 minutes to drive from Port C to Disney World.

Once you reach Disney, allow 15 minutes minimum to find the park of your choice, park, and walk to the entrance. Do not underestimate the size of Disney World.

What time of year and what day of the week will you be there? If it's a Saturday or summer, forget it -- it'll be so crowded that you won't be able to do anything. If it's off-season and mid-week, you have a fighting chance to have a couple hours in the parks.

Although Magic Kingdom is the icon park, and you might be tempted to go there, I'd suggest either Animal Kingdom or MGM (the kids would probably enjoy them more than they'd enjoy Epcot). Why? Because once you park at the Magic Kingdom you must either take the monorail or the ferry across Bay Lake -- this takes more time, which you won't have to spare.

My opinion: If you're talking about coming to Florida a couple days early, Disney is a great choice. If you're talking about it as a shore excursion, I think you'll be frustrated because you won't really have time to do much.

• 2 weeks later...

agree...skip the magic Kingdom and Epcot with children that age. we live in Florida and take advantage of the Florida resident passes at Disney. if this is a shore excursion...don't do it. you will be frustrated. if it's a pre or post cruise trip...advise staying at one of the Disney hotels. They provide excellent transportation to the parks. Use EZ Pass to plan/schedule your day to see/ride your top choices. Selecting between the four parks...I'd do Animal Kingdom first. Get to the park when it opens and go directly to the very back of the park and do the safari tour. it gets so packed later in the day. and if you stay at the Disney hotels, you might luck out and get to enter the park an hour before the general public (they rotate which hotel has early entrance during the week.) You could also do Universal Studios...it's fun for the family as well. If you stay at a Universal hotel, your room key gets you in the fast-pass lane...don't have to wait in the long lines! feel free to e-mail me seperately if you need any more info. you need to do your homework and know what you want to see at any of the parks. There's just too much to see in each one in a day.

We have joined the ranks of what is affectionately referred to as "Disney Trash"...we just love Disney and go there every chance we get. By the way...we're in our mid 50's!

Archived