Plus size bathing suit question

JoKen1

Ok ladies, I need help and your honest opinion. I'm going to be going to cruise to the Mexican Riviera and then another cruise to the Caribbean.

As everyone knows a lot of the fun there is the beaches. My problem though is I have not been in a bathing suit in public for about 15 years now.

I have big saddle thighs even for a big girl. Well I'm not big I'm down right fat. I hate to admit it but I'm a size 22!

Anyway, I went today and tried on some swimsuits just to see what they looked like. For the first time in my life I tried on those one piece suits that have a little skirt to them. They covered my saddle thighs just fine. But I don't know about them. They almost look like a short dress.

My question is do any of you wear those? Do you think they look silly? Should I just skip it and stay out of the water?

If you saw a big fat girl in one of those on your cruise would laugh at her?

I know I shouldn't care what others think and since I'm going solo on this trip I kinda figure I could be a bit braver as I won't know anyone. I also think that maybe after the first look people would laugh a bit or crack a joke and then forget about it.

I would really like to go in the water and go horse back riding where they go in the water but I'm just not sure if I should or not.

What do you think?

I read something about board shorts but I don't know what they are. Do you swim in those? Maybe that would be better???

Thanks for your advice and please be honest. It won't hurt my feelings.

Let me just say I know 100% I would NOT wear a bathing suit if anyone I knew was going to be around me.

I would not worry about it at all......you will see all shapes and sizes, and everyone is having a good time!!! No one will laugh and crack jokes. I think you will be surprised just how comfortable you really will feel!!

I am an 18/20 and I wear tankinis...some have a skirted bottoms and others don't...I am comfortable in both!

Have a great cruise:D

I wear the two piece suits that have a little skirt (they look like a one piece) and I never felt out of place. I am a size 10/12. They have lots of those suits at the department store so they seem to be pretty popular. My duaghter has even wore taktinis with a skirt and she is 19 and a size 3. When we are doing things like tubing or a jet sky then I wear a one piece with board shorts and they dry quickly and look fine. This would be perfect for horse back riding. There are also suits with swim shorts and they are fine but sometimes pretty short.

You should wear what makes you feel comfortable and not worry about what others think. This is your vacation and you should do all the things you are wanting to do. Don't miss out on having fun because of a swim suit.

I sure hope people wouldn't laugh...they'd be laughing at me too! :o

Seriously, I feel the same embarrassment and usually chicken out of putting on a swimsuit, but will see women in pools who appear to be size 24+ and no one is laughing at them.

I know what you mean about the swimdresses. I'm very short so they'd probably come between my thigh and knee and then get longer and droopier when it's wet. Heck, might as well wear my nightie..:rolleyes: J/K

I am also short and heavy but I never hesitate to wear a swimsuit (except when it's clothing optional and then it all comes off). You will be surprised that no one is looking at you or judging you. Everyone comes to enjoy their own vacation. I like 2 piece suits that emphasize the bust and draw your eye away from the thighs. Though I have a couple of the "skirted" or "boy leg" suits, I prefer the regular bottoms when I'm in the water and put on capris or a cover-up when I get out of the water (more to keep the sun off me than others' eyes). Try http://www.swimsuitsforall.com. I got a great suit there last year.

And enjoy your vacation.

--Myra in AZ

I've worn the swim dresses and the swimsuits with the board shorts and like both. It's all about what you're most comfortable in. (I'm a size 16/18.)

People aren't going to laugh. You see all sizes on a cruise. Big, little, saggy...you name it, you see it.

Besides, most of these people you'll never see again. Who cares if THEY have an issue with something you're wearing. As long as you look presentable and dress appropriately for your size (tube tops don't look good on anyone over a size 6, IMO) then it shouldn't matter what some moron from Timbuktu thinks.

Also http://www.womanwithin.com has some decent suits, if you can't find anything you like on the other website.

Thanks for the web site, I too have put on a few pounds, have order a few suits on line so far nothing fits, I have long torso, big boooo and no waist. I'll take a look. If you are horse back riding, I would wear something a little longer in the thigh area, or you will be rubbed raw. I wore long pants in Arizona, glad I did. Being wet and against leather, not very appealling. Let us know how the riding was. I would be interested, because I enjoyed the ride in Arizona eventhough I had not been on a horse (pony) since I was a teen over 40 years ago.

You will be totally surprised at how "uninhibitied" folks can be on a cruise. Don't worry too much about what you look like! No one will be paying attention to you--they are all busy with themselves!

But--I would NOT wear a bathing suit bottom on a horse! The above poster has it right--you will be miserable and sore! Bring shorts to wear while you're riding!

As far as the "skirted" suits--there will be alot of those--you won't be the only one!

I'm a plus size gal too. No one will be laughing at you....we are all different shapes and sizes. It's not all pretty people as the commercials and/or brochures suggest, so don't worry! :)

Just a suggestion on another style you might consider; I don't like the skirted suits myself, but I do wear a suit with swim shorts (shortkini). It covers the heavy thighs and I don't have that annoying rub together feeling. I am most comfortable wearing this style suit.

Just make sure the bottoms are 100% nylon and you won't get the droopy when wet effect that you do with the Lycra blends.

Here's an example:

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/products.asp?product_id=101711&dept_id=100057&parent_id=100000&brand_id=

LOL funny you say that CG....here I was innocently looking for an example to show here and I ended up buying the suit! LOL It is a good price, especially for a 2 piece. :)

I find the shorts last forever, but not the tops. I swim 3 times a week and the lycra wears out in the pool. This way, I can sometimes buy new tops to match, but keep the short bottoms.

Thanks to everyone I'm buying the swimsuit! I'm going to go for it. Heck why should I miss out on everything fun. You are all right everyone will be looking at themself or even the pretty beaches. If they make jokes, who cares! At least I will be able to go in the water and enjoy myself.

I'm going to go check out all the web sites and find some of those shorts you guys were talking about.

Thanks again.

I too become nervous when asked to wear a bathing suit, but part of the reason I love cruising is that no one seems to care. Heck, on several of my cruises I have seen large, elderly ladies sun bathing in their bra and panties!! On a cruise you will see people of all shapes and sizes. I prefer to wear tankinis and then have a long cover up I put on to cover my legs when I am not in the water.

From your picture, you look well-proportioned, so any properly-fitting suit you're comfy in would probably look just fine on you! Try landsend.com -- I was looking at suits there and they had so many pretty options, in all shapes, colors and sizes. Personally, I think the shorter swim skirts are very flattering. I just got one myself, though haven't worn it to swim yet.

As for tube tops, I am a size 6, and I look TERRIBLE in them!!! If you have a lump, bump, or bulge anyplace, it's emphasized. Never mind having to pull the darn things up all the time. I don't think tube tops look good on anyone over Age 6! :D

As a former riding instructor and lifelong horsewoman, I can attest to the no-bathing-suit-on-a-horse idea. Your knees and thighs would literally get blistered. Board shorts would be the minimum I would wear. If it were me, I'd get some lightweight track pants or long board shorts and put them over my swimsuit. Also, don't wear sandals... they can slip through the stirrups and trap your foot, making it possible for you to get dragged if you lose your balance. Boots are best, but not practical in this case, so wear sneakers if you can.

:)

Have a blast!

I have a question for everyone who says don't wear a bathing suit when you horseback ride. What do you do when the horse goes in the water or the beach?

On land I would wear jeans but I thought you had to have a bathsuit on when you go in the water.

Thanks again everyone. You guys made me feel so much better. I never even go to the pool so I didn't know people of all sizes got in their swim suits. So nice to know I'm not alone in my fear of wearing a swim suit in front of others.

I have a question for everyone who says don't wear a bathing suit when you horseback ride. What do you do when the horse goes in the water or the beach?

You get wet! And it's FUN!!! I had one horse that used to think it was funny to paw and splash, even try to lie down in the water when we crossed the irrigation ditches. I spent a lot of summer days soaked to the knees! That's why I suggested board shorts. They are quick-dry. :) There are some track pants around (I think I saw them at Target) that are of the same material, and I bet they would dry quickly too.

...does anyone know of a website/store that sells LONG coverups?? I don't go in the pool, but I love to sit out and sunbathe and watch the activities going on around the pool....BUT, when I get up, I don't want to scare anyone (bad veins!) and prefer long coverups. In the past, I have purchased a-line sleeveless dresses from Lane Bryant, but I don't see them anymore. Every website I have checked out, all coverups are short, short!! Definitely not my style. Suggestions, anyone??? ~B~

...does anyone know of a website/store that sells LONG coverups?? I don't go in the pool, but I love to sit out and sunbathe and watch the activities going on around the pool....BUT, when I get up, I don't want to scare anyone (bad veins!) and prefer long coverups. In the past, I have purchased a-line sleeveless dresses from Lane Bryant, but I don't see them anymore. Every website I have checked out, all coverups are short, short!! Definitely not my style. Suggestions, anyone??? ~B~

Try a search for "caftan." :)

http://stores.ebay.com/thailandfactorydirect_Designer-Batik-Dress_W0QQfsubZ10031871QQfrsrcZ1

http://www.generousfashions.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=84_98

http://search.ebay.com/LONG-Hippie-Cotton-TIE-Dye-WEARABLE-Art-Dress-Caftan_W0QQfsiZ1

http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=16813125&index=19&gp_coll_id=5007&gp_cat_id=5008&nav_cat_id=10782&category_id=10783

This might be too short:

http://www.avenue.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay

You're right! Most of them are reallllllllllllllllly short! But the Houndmom does love a challenge. :cool:

Hope you find something nice!

Honey, Just pull up a deck chair next to the fat hairy guy wearing the speedo and no one will give YOU a second look. :D :D

And whoever was looking for the long coverups....try woman within....in their loungewear they have a couple of really cute long loungers!!!

Doris,

You really made me laugh hard! To funny.

You know I never think anything when I see heavy people in bathing suits. Well that's not true. I think "gee, wish I had enough nerve to do that".

So this time, I'm having the nerve. Heck, I'm turning 50 and I hear the older you get the more you get away with stuff. Either that or you just don't care as much what people say because you learn you are missing out on life.

My sister has been telling me to wear a bathing suit for years. I have a pool in my back yard and I have not even gone in there with anyone but my little niece or alone. What a fool I've been.

I have the same question . . . all the coverups don't seem to cover much of anything. I'd like one that at least comes to my knees instead of twelve inches above . . . . :p

Archived