Has anyone traveled with Gate 1?

Charliesmom

We got a flyer from Gate 1 about a Danube cruise on the Amadeus Royal which caught my husband's eye because the boat had a fitness center on it.

The last time we took a river cruise, we each gained 5 pounds because we could not work off the extra calories because the boat did not have a gym.

Our taste on Ocean Liners is Princess, (their smaller ships), Holland America and Oceania.

Has anyone used Gate 1 or been on the Amadeus Royal? What were your experiences?

Thanks.

Roberta

I do not know if the search function is working yet but there has been several negative posts on here regarding Gate 1.

I believe just about all the rivercruise ships have a fitness room.They are usually just a spare cabin with a couple of machines in them.I actually lost 4 lbs on our Budapset to Amsterdam cruise due to all the walking we did.Also I tried to keep it really light at lunch and usually just ate a salad.

We are taking our first river cruise beginning April 6 and it is with Gate 1. We chose them because they are using the Amadeus boats, which seem to be quite new and elegant. This is the first year they are using these boats, I believe. We just received our travel documents, which we felt was in plenty of time. Because there have been both negative and positive comments regarding Gate 1 on the website, I will post a description of our experience as soon as we return.

Bitzy Cole

We took a Gate 1 cruise on the Danube over Thanksgiving 2007 and had a wonderful time. We were on the MS Bolero, which was a very nice boat. Nothing but good things to say about them, from the initial reservation to the final day on the cruise. My ONLY complaint was that there was not coffee service available 24/7. Wanted to take a cup to my room after breakfast and the self-service machine was draped.

Good Morning! I am leaving for a Gate 1 cruise tomorrow, from Nuremberg to Amsterdam (starting with a few days on our own in Munich). I am going with my folks, but got my own cabin on the boat. I was able to get a wonderful deal for a cabin as a single - not even 50% markup on fare. Many companies will charge a single the double price, because the cabins are all the same.

So far dealing with Gate 1 has been fine. We booked in the Fall at their lower prices and when I called up to reserve, they gave $100/pp MORE off the price - why? I don't know but I'll take another $300 savings! I have booked my own airfare, so I can't comment on that.

I had friends travel with their parents last December using Gate 1 and they were very satisfied. They even had to leave the boat due to high water levels that caused the boat to not be able to pass under a bridge, and they felt that the tour company did everything possible to make the best of the last few days of the trip using a bus and hotels, and they still saw all the sites. Nothing you can do about high water, but you want a company that is going to take care of you during these type of circumstances.

You will notice the "bad reviews" of Gate 1 are mainly from one person who repeats them as often as possible. There are a few others. You can find bad experiences related from any of the lines if you look enough - including Viking, Amadeus, etc... For example, Grand Circle Travel (GCT) has had tons of problems and got booted from BBB, but there are many, many fans of GCT who use them over and over.

I will write a review of my experience when I return, though. But, so far I would say Gate 1 has provided a good experience for most users. JG

Clearly you are talking about me and my comments about Gate 1. You should understand that Gate 1 does nothing except buy trips from vendors and supply directors. Many of the other travel operators (e.g. GCT ) run their own operations. Gate 1's approach allows them to be transparant and flow any problems to the vendor thus allowing them to avoid any mea culpas. Good luck with this outfit if (as I did) you have any issues. Some homework would find many other travelers who have been unhappy with their treatment by Gate 1.

We traveled with Gate 1 in 2006 on a Christmas Market river cruise on the Danube, with a pre-cruise stay in Prague. We had a great time! Gate 1 was fine, I really don't have any complaints about them at all.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished our cruise on Amadeus Royal with Gate 1 this morning. It was one of the best vacation we ever have. Everyone that I talked to on this cruise feel the same way. The food was excellence. The staffs were friendly and really take care all your need and request with smile.

Before I booked this trip I kind of skeptical but after this trip we want to book the next trip with Gate 1 again. I know that their price is lower than other cruise line and some people said that you get what you paid for. But for us and everyone boarding Amadeus Royal on March 23 feel like we got a first class service.

Yes, the do have a small gym. Only 3 equipments on it. I know they have one bike. I not recall what is the other 2 was. My husband use the gym about 3 times when we were there.

I will write a review later when I get home.

My partner and I leave Wednesday for Gate 1's Nuremburg to Amsterdam tour (with a few days in Prague first). We can't wait. Our travel agent has used Gate 1 for several other clients and has had nothing but good things to say about them. (Of course, I realize that that's what any agent would tell the customer -- but ours is a personal friend, so believe he would tell us the truth). Anyway ... so far, they've been great. We got our cruise documents last week and they were prompt on answering a couple questions we had. All in all, we're excited. I've been on other tours like this (where the company "charters" a tour and operators from another company) and have generally found them all to be well run. So, we're positive about this trip. I'll also post a review when we get back and let everyone know how it's going. I'll have a laptop on the trip with us, so whenever I may try and post an update whenever we have internet access!

Jim

My husband and I are also leaving on the April 6 cruise from Nuremberg to Amsterdam with Gate 1. So far, have been pleased with prompt answers to questions, etc. I will also write a review when we return. Looks like the weather is going to call for sweaters and layers!

Bitzy Cole

I cruised with GATE 1 in 2006 aboard MS AVALON Artistry from Budapest to Prague. I certainly did enjoy Artistry: spotless, great food, wonderful crew and a very good cruise director, who managed the cruise in a superb manner. I cannot praise these people enough.

GATE 1 arrangements in both Budapest and Prague were positively awful. Whereas, AVALON passengers and the whole Artistry bunch stayed at the very nice Prague Hilton, 6 of us, who booked with GATE 1 ended up at the very mediocre Movenpick Hotel in Prague, away from the most highlights. We never got our 'included Prague city tour' and no one took our calls and complaints at all. They just ignored us. No one was there to arrange for anything at all and we relied solely on overworked and underpaid concierge, who was trying to help but was positively overwhelmed.

We paid less and we got MUCH LESS. GATE 1 made a good margin on us, I am sure. But that was the last they saw of us...

If you can book with a bit more of an 'upscale' company, do so. I am not even opening anything sent to me by GATE 1. Never again.

EURiverCruiser

Archived