Vancouver/Victoria/CriminalEntrance?

Ok, I love these boards because one gets so much info. Thanks to all

My first question is regarding the Hampton Inn and Suites in Vancouver by the Bc Stadium. Is this area safe? and how is this hotel if anyone knows.

My second question is about Victoria? The best way to get there from vancouver and what you Must do there if you only have 1/2 day.

The third question is not to open an entire new can of worms because I have read the boards on Canada/USA criminal offenses. I really dont want to go there.

I would just like to know if anyone has contacted the canadian authorities and have asked for a temporary permit or what they have needed to

get into the country for a few days before boarding a ship.

We will be going on a cruise from Vancouver and our friend had a misd

battery 40 years ago! We just do not want any problems and would like

to have approval before we enter the country. Has anyone applied and for what and have they recieved it and the cost and approx how long has it taken.

Thanks to all.

pat

Ok, I love these boards because one gets so much info. Thanks to all

My first question is regarding the Hampton Inn and Suites in Vancouver by the Bc Stadium. Is this area safe? and how is this hotel if anyone knows.

Daylite hours just fine. Night time same as any ohter large north american city. be aware

My second question is about Victoria? The best way to get there from vancouver and what you Must do there if you only have 1/2 day.

1/2 day you would need to fly harbour to harbour not enough time to do anything else.

The third question is not to open an entire new can of worms because I have read the boards on Canada/USA criminal offenses. I really dont want to go there.

I would just like to know if anyone has contacted the canadian authorities and have asked for a temporary permit or what they have needed to

get into the country for a few days before boarding a ship.

We will be going on a cruise from Vancouver and our friend had a misd

battery 40 years ago! We just do not want any problems and would like

to have approval before we enter the country. Has anyone applied and for what and have they recieved it and the cost and approx how long has it taken.

NO

Thanks to all.

pat

hope that helps a bit

Thanks Left Coast that does help.

I am just not sure if I want to spend the money to stay downtown or

spend the money sight seeing.

I figured I needed to either fly to Victoria or plan on spending more time.

Do you think that the boat over to Victoria is something one must do or is it just a boat ride to get from point a to point b?

Pat

Left Coast is right forget Victoria if you are only here for a half day you just simply can't do it. We will keep you good and busy in Vancouver. The Hampton Inn is in a trendy area known as Yaletown which used to be the close in warehouse area. It now is pretty much entirely very trendy restaurants, bars, clubs and shops. A lot of the warehouses have been converted to loft style apartments ala SOHO but also lots of concrete highrise condo's. No problems there at all. As to the crim matter, after 40 years I doubt that any reasonable customs person is going to worry about it even it did show up on a passport scan. But if you have any doubts get a hold of the Canadian Councilate General's office nearest your home and talk to them or phone Canada Customs; here is a link to their website, they do not appear to have a 1-800 number that you can use from the US.

Thanks Left Coast that does help.

I am just not sure if I want to spend the money to stay downtown or

spend the money sight seeing.

I figured I needed to either fly to Victoria or plan on spending more time.

Do you think that the boat over to Victoria is something one must do or is it just a boat ride to get from point a to point b?

Pat

The ferry rides to and from Victoria (and Vancouver Island) from the Vancouver side are not just about transportation. If you are in this part of the world for the first (maybe last?) time I would put it on my list of things to do. You don't say if you are flying in or out of Vancouver but if you are or using Seattle there are other options to getting to/from places via different ferries.

also

Got 4 hours take the ferry as a walk on and go over and back same boat... on a beautiful day it's great we do it once a summer. (You must allow time to get to & from the ferry terminal.) On a Spirit class vessel they have a very nice smorg (Not cruiseline quality but just fine) and we build it into our "Cruise"

enjoy planning

Got 4 hours take the ferry as a walk on and go over and back same boat... on a beautiful day it's great we do it once a summer. (You must allow time to get to & from the ferry terminal.) On a Spirit class vessel they have a very nice smorg (Not cruiseline quality but just fine) and we build it into our "Cruise"

When he says "Spirit Class" vessel, he's referring to two boats, the "Spirit of British Columbia" and "Spirit of Vancouver Island". Generally these are the boats that leave on the odd hours 7,9,11 etc

• 2 weeks later...
Theft.

I am not an expert on this but I don't believe that you will pass through Canadian Customs in Victoria and even if you do it is unlikely that if you just use a drivers license for identification purposes they are going to do a records search or ask you if you have prior convictions. If they do ask you then you will have to answer honestly and if it is a real old conviction they will probably let you through and if not the worst case scenario is that you will not be allowed ashore. You could ask Princess is you clear Canadian Customs in Victoria without telling them why you are interested and that may aleve your concerns.

Victoria is part of Canada. You don't go through customs when going from Vancouver to Victoria. Just when you come from the US.

Canadian board guards are looking for convictions of indictable offences (ie felonies) that are less than 10 years old. They get this information from US Homeland security. They aren't interested in a summary offence (misdemeanour) at all, unless the crime would be an indictable offence in Canada (ie. impaired driving).

Fourty years of a clean record speaks for itself, not to mention that it wasn't a criminal offence. I wouldn't worry about it, just too long ago and not criminal.

I would be inclined to think that the point of measurement would be the time of conviction. Your sentence time and probation would likely count towards your rehabilitation time, however if you are worried or have doubt you should contact the authorities.

Archived