Need a new Camera for my Cruise

Kcarp

This set of reviews was helpful to me. The prices are probably lower than they were in December when this was published. I ended up getting the Fuji 50FD, which I am very happy with. I saw it recently at costco.com for $199.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/technology/personaltech/06pogue.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

I bought a Kodak camera it is a simple digital i bought and 8 megapixel camera for just $150.00 and its offers alot of differerent lighting possibilities that will help you obtain the best picture but it is not difficult to run and is affordable for a family I use it on my cruises and my daughters sports activities and i wouldnt leave home without it. Just remember the key here is whatever camera you go with the most important thing is how many mega pixels it has the more mega pixels the better off the camera taking will be. Nothing under 6 is recommened so unless you are a professional just get something between 7 and 8 megapixels unless you find some better deal on even more mega pixels and I stick with Kodak because they are a reliable company that has been around forever!!!!!!!!icon7.gif

Hope this helps with your decision making process

Try going with one of these:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Cameras are also rated on:

http://www.dpreview.com

The market is so competitive that there's lots of very good cameras. You could just go to Costco and buy something. One of the big differences between cameras is their zoom capability. I think lots of folks find they want to better photograph distant objects. Unfortunately, that makes the camera larger. You might post what kind of shooting you plan to do to get more specific input.

I have a Canon Elph SD850. Compact size, great pictures, 4X optical zoom. Uses SD cards which I already had. My 2 cents worth!

The Cannon Elph series of cameras have an outstanding track record and are known to be good cameras that are well built. The newer ones with IS are even better.

I am another to suggest a Canon camera. Things to consider with Canon is that they use SD memory, this memory is the most widely available and very very inexpensive.

Think batteries, I prefer one that uses AA batteries, so I buy some rechargeable, and if these were to expire on me I can always pop in a store and pick up more, anywhere in the world. If you buy one with its own rechargeable battery, buy an extra in case it expires unexpectedly.

Don't get sold on Megapixels!!!!!!!!! Pierces can explain this better, but

compact point and shoot cameras don't have sensors large enough to handle more than around 8 megapixels and can actually produce less quality photos, 8 megapixels and up should be saved for the large Digital SLR cameras. It is easy to get sold on megapixels, but you should concentrate more on the lens, the good name brands will usually have this covered for you.

When I say don't get hung up on megapixels check out these shots.

this is a 3.2 Megapixel shot with my Konica Minolta Z10 (a Key West cat)

PICT0087.JPG

This was taken with 6 megapixel Canon S3 IS

IMG_0374.JPG

Not a huge difference, both will create very nice 8x10's and the 6 megapixel will produce a good 11x14. I have yet to print anything bigger than 8x10.

Happy shopping.

MAC

Don't get sold on Megapixels!!!!!!!!! Pierces can explain this better, but

compact point and shoot cameras don't have sensors large enough to handle more than around 8 megapixels and can actually produce less quality photos, 8 megapixels and up should be saved for the large Digital SLR cameras. It is easy to get sold on megapixels, but you should concentrate more on the lens, the good name brands will usually have this covered for you.

MAC

So true, MAC. Megapixel counts aren't too important. In addition to the optics, it's the size (& sensitivity) of the sensor that matters most. Although I use a Canon dslr, I chose a Fuji point & shoot because it has the largest sensor in it's class. The Fuji point and shoot cameras have a reputation for doing well in lower light situations, which was important to me, since I would be using it primarily for underwater shooting and indoor, social situations.

However, I am a firm believer in the overall excellence of the entire Canon line. You can't really go wrong with Canon.

I just bout the Cannon Digital Elph 750. It cost $199.00 at Best Buy. After tax, a new card and a service plan that actually seemed to be worth the $, it cost about $300.00. It seems like a nice little camera. We'll see. I'll let you know how my pictures turn out on my upcoming cruise.

Archived