Final countdown....need a little help.

txcarrie

We have less than a week and we'll be on the Voyager! Wow! Can't believe all the last minute details I've been attending to. I have a few more questions that maybe someone can answer. We will be checking in live from the Voyager so if anyone has any questions for us about sometihng on board let us know and we'll respond.

1. The documents say to arrive at 5pm, but I'm wondering what time ya'll think is the best to arrive.

2. If we are being dropped off by a taxi are there any special lanes to be in for the best service?

3. If anyone has done any of the excursions in Halifax or St. John, we'd like to know what you thought about them. (I know there is a port of call forum...but there is NOOOO traffic there.)

4. Do you reccommend bringing Canadian currency with you? Do all the taxi's and shops take US$?

5. What time does the ship pull into port to debark? Also, what time do they start calling colors of tags to debark?

Thanks to all of you in advance. I know there are lots of you who can help us with these questions. I also really need advice on how to survice the last week at work. Gonna be a long one for sure.

Carrie & Chris

Carrie,

Check your documents again. Does it say to arrive at 5pm or that the VOS leaves at 5p.m. You should be able to get there much earlier like noonish.

I'll leave the rest of your questions for someone who has been on the Northeastern itinerary. I have seen some posts of those who just came back talking about the itineraries and favorite excursions. I just don't remember which ships they were on.

Enjoy the fall colors. Should make a gorgeous view.

Jen

Hi:

I can only answer #4.

I would bring US dollars as they will exchange it at all shops. For the taxis that might be more difficult, I would bring Canadian for that.

In shops in Ontario and I imagine in any other city they have the exchange rate they offer on that specific day. It changes as the dollar changes.

Have a great time and I know you will love all the fall colours. I certainly do and see them each year.

Tex-Jen, The ship leaves at 10pm so they are stressing that people arrive between 5-6pm. I know you can get on a lot earlier but not sure HOW early to arrive. It's gonna be really strange to leave that late at night for sure. At least we'll get to see the Statue of Liberty lit up when we pull out.

Thanks, Carrie

We were on this cruise on 9/5. We got to the port at about 3:45, and there was a long line of cars, and really no signs to direct you to either the long term parking (stay all the way to the right), or the drop off which would be the left lane (note, at first there were only 2 lanes, but eventually there was a third. Once there are 3, I think the 2 left ones are OK for dropping off).

We had no delay going through check in. Once checked in we were able to get right on the bus for the short ride to the ship. We were not nearly the first ones there, so it seems you could get there earlier, as well. Our cabin was ready and we could drop off our carry-on bags before we explored the ship. I don't know how early the cabin would have been available, though.

In St. John we took a motorized trolly tour, which was interesting, but not great. Then we went to one of the Visitor Centers and were given a brochure that showed several self guided walking tours. We combined 2 of them to see some of the city, but then went back to the ship. In Halifax we walked around the harbor and took a Seymore (sp?) Splash tour, which is the first half on land and the second half in the water in an amphibious vehicle. That was entertaining. We also went to the Maritime Museum for about an hour.

We didn't take any Canadian money with us. A friend had advised that you got the best exchange rate by charging with your credit card. We did stop at a bank in Halifax and changed $20 US to Canadian (I think we got about $25 Canadian) which we used for lunch and some purchases. All the stores took US money at an exchange rate of $1.25 Canadian for $1 American. We did notice one vendor among those selling right at the port, who's posted US dollar prices did not match with their posted exchange rate (they were selling T shirts and sweatshirts primarilly) so if you're paying with dollars rather than using a credit card, try to do the calculation yourself before you pay.

On debarkation morning you had to be out of your cabin by 8 AM, but they don't start calling colors right away. My husband thinks we were off the ship by 9:30. We had one of the earlier of the non-priority colors, but I'm pretty sure that even those people with later colors didn't have to wait much longer, because there didn't seem to be much time between colors. Debarkation is not very organized, however.

We had a great time on our cruise (which was our first).

txcarrie, all I know is that we left out of San Juan last year at 10p.m. and friends of ours were on the ship by noon. I didn't get there until 3 and just like Figsgrandma, I was far from the first one there, but embarkation was pretty quick.

Again, enjoy your trip!

Jen

We did this cruise this past May. (We are doing CA/NewEngland again next month on Princess). In St. John we took the bus (public transportation) to the reversing falls. I would suggest Canadian currency for this. I believe it was $1-$2 each way per person. After that we went into the shopping mall near the ship. There was a CVS/RiteAid type store in the mall which was great for purchasing anything you may have forgotten to pack, or to buy snacks. Prices were reasonable in the mall. There were also a lot of different places to eat there from fast food to sit down.

There is also a Moosehead brewery in St. John. We wanted to do a tour, but were told only cruise ship passengers doing the ships excursion were allowed to tour :( So, we booked that for this up coming cruise.

I loved both ports. And can't wait to go back. In Halifax you can walk the boardwalk to the Titanic museum, the Glassworks (where you can watch them blow glass for free from the street) and the head up hill to the Citadel. On the way there is a great Starbucks type coffee place. A bit pricey like Starbucks, but well worth it for a good cup of coffee on a chilly day. There were also tours available all over the boardwalk, from whale watching to "Duck Tours".

I hope some of this helps.

Bobbie

If you haven't seen my Voyager album, here is the link....

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/voyager_of_the_seas/

Bobbie, I did find your post and looked at your album. Thanks so much for sharing your great pictures. I am trying to figure out the reversing rapids though. Is it really that great to see? From all the pictures I've seen I can't tell what the big attraction is. Don't know if they are something that can only be seen at certain times of the day as well. If so, do you know what time is best?

I read a post somewhere that they stopped doing the Moose Head Brewery tour as of August. They still show it in our excursion book though so maybe you can only do it if you book through the ship. If so....that is terrible. I don't think the ship should monopolize any excursion.

Thanks for all ya'lls great answers and advice. Keep it coming.

Happy Monday!

Carrie

Archived