Sea Glass - All you can carry!

CaribbeanBound

WriteratSea,

Thanks for the information. A few people are talking me out of going in Sept, I've never gotten sea sick yet but we always have a balcony so an inside will be the first for us. I didn't want to spend the money for a balcony for just a 5 nighter - don't really think we need it on this cruise........we'll even be docked for 2 of the 5 days - won't really be in the room relaxing much for a 5 nighter. I'm so used to the longer cruises now that I wish RCCL did at least a 7 nighter to Bermuda.

Looking at your name.........are you a writer?

Patty

I try to be. LOL

LOL.......what do you try to write?

I am working on History books, mostly about the Civil War. There is a lot of research involved, so it is time consuming. I have three projects going on now. Going to Bermuda helps to revitalize me. I constantly think about Mark Twain and how much he loved Bermuda; and also absolutely hated the boat trips to get there. He certainly would be astonished to be aboard one of the new cruise ships today or to experience the convenience of a two hour flight.:)

I am working on History books, mostly about the Civil War. There is a lot of research involved, so it is time consuming. I have three projects going on now. Going to Bermuda helps to revitalize me. I constantly think about Mark Twain and how much he loved Bermuda; and also absolutely hated the boat trips to get there. He certainly would be astonished to be aboard one of the new cruise ships today or to experience the convenience of a two hour flight.:)

Sounds interesting, good luck with your writing.

I just stared reading a Civil War based novel. The author was at our local Barnes and Noble signed my book. It is titled Jane by Donald Devine.

Richard and I are thinking of doing a land vacation in Bermuda next year. I think it would be nice to spend a whole week in St George.

Have you read "Mark Twain and the Happy Island" by Elizabeth Wallace and Albert Bigelow Paine?

I just stared reading a Civil War based novel. The author was at our local Barnes and Noble signed my book. It is titled Jane by Donald Devine.

Richard and I are thinking of doing a land vacation in Bermuda next year. I think it would be nice to spend a whole week in St George.

Hello Susan and Richard, nice meeting you last year on the Majesty. We did take your suggestion and have dinner at the Carriage House. It was just as good as you said it would be. I just love using the Bermuda dining ashore program, just so much value. I hope that NCL continues the program as we have read that it is not available this year as yet.

We are going to try a land vacation. I got a great deal on the flights and rented a cottage for $150 a night. It is located right on the water at Harbor road and near the lower ferry. Supposedly it is only a 20 minute walk to Elbow beach. I thought about Aunt Nea's Inn in St. George but thought we would prefer a more central location.

The major difference from the cruise is that we will have to pay for our food and I have budgeted $100 a day for that. It will be interesting to see how this trip compares to the cruise. I am sure the cruise is be much less expensive. But as we are going to be there for eight days (May 17-25), that is a consideration as well.

When we get back, we will let you know how the two different trips compare.

We will have a cruise booked for the Oct 5 sailing of the Dream out of Boston to Bermuda.

Edward and Ruth:)

Have you read "Mark Twain and the Happy Island" by Elizabeth Wallace and Albert Bigelow Paine?

No I haven't. But I am sure any combination of Mark Twain and Bermuda would be entertaining. I will have to read it, if it is currently available in the bookstores.

I just love using the Bermuda dining ashore program, just so much value. I hope that NCL continues the program as we have read that it is not available this year as yet.

We are going to try a land vacation. I got a great deal on the flights and rented a cottage for $150 a night. It is located right on the water at Harbor road and near the lower ferry. Supposedly it is only a 20 minute walk to Elbow beach. I thought about Aunt Nea's Inn in St. George but thought we would prefer a more central location.

The major difference from the cruise is that we will have to pay for our food and I have budgeted $100 a day for that. It will be interesting to see how this trip compares to the cruise. I am sure the cruise is be much less expensive. But as we are going to be there for eight days (May 17-25), that is a consideration as well.

We will have a cruise booked for the Oct 5 sailing of the Dream out of Boston to Bermuda.

A number of people who have recently gotten back have said the Dine Ashore is gone. :(

We met a couple on one of our cruises who said they were going on a fly in to Bermuda next time. I was anxious to see how it compared when they got back and surprisingly they said it was about equal. They actually took some food with them and they had a cottage with a full kitchen so they ate in a lot with things they bought locally.

This year they are going for a week in May and a week in Oct. so they must have figured out how to do it relatively reasonal.

Are you staying at Salt Kettle by any chance?

A number of people who have recently gotten back have said the Dine Ashore is gone. :(

We met a couple on one of our cruises who said they were going on a fly in to Bermuda next time. I was anxious to see how it compared when they got back and surprisingly they said it was about equal. They actually took some food with them and they had a cottage with a full kitchen so they ate in a lot with things they bought locally.

This year they are going for a week in May and a week in Oct. so they must have figured out how to do it relatively reasonal.

Are you staying at Salt Kettle by any chance?

We will be nearby Salt Kettle and hope to drop in to check it out. We are staying in a cottage rented out by a resident to make extra money. We found it through Bermuda Accomadations. But we had to keep asking about different properties as they were mostly sold out. For this type of vacation, especially in May and June, you need to book earlier.

Now we know better and you need more that 45 days lead time as we had.

It has a kitchen and we are going to bring dinners that we make in the Make and Take Kitchen. The website suggests bringing goodies such as Lobster or Steak, frozen to offset the high food cost.

We usually cruise, so this is a departure for us. We will be going May 17th, so we can let you know how it turns out.:)

No I haven't. But I am sure any combination of Mark Twain and Bermuda would be entertaining. I will have to read it, if it is currently available in the bookstores.

I was able to order it through a bookstore here. I also see Amazon lists it and, amazingly, I just googled it and found the whole book to read online, http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=0DZLAAAAMAAJ&dq=mark+twain+happy+island&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=tVT6KR_69E&sig=40AJafSBXdCfRyw2KFGoehVdGsA#PPP13,M1

It is an older book, published in 1913, and a quaint, sweet look at a different part of Twain's life.

We will be nearby Salt Kettle and hope to drop in to check it out. We are staying in a cottage rented out by a resident to make extra money. We found it through Bermuda Accomadations. But we had to keep asking about different properties as they were mostly sold out. For this type of vacation, especially in May and June, you need to book earlier.

Now we know better and you need more that 45 days lead time as we had.

It has a kitchen and we are going to bring dinners that we make in the Make and Take Kitchen. The website suggests bringing goodies such as Lobster or Steak, frozen to offset the high food cost.

We usually cruise, so this is a departure for us. We will be going May 17th, so we can let you know how it turns out.:)

I will be very interested in hearing about your trip as this is something we would like to do too.

Hello Susan and Richard, nice meeting you last year on the Majesty. We did take your suggestion and have dinner at the Carriage House. It was just as good as you said it would be. I just love using the Bermuda dining ashore program, just so much value. I hope that NCL continues the program as we have read that it is not available this year as yet.

Hi Eddie, While we are in Bermuda on the Dream next month we are going to check out a place right in St George to possible rent next May. It is right on Shinebone Alley so it is very close to the center of town. The place does have a full kitchen, one bedroom and a livingroom. Pictures on line look very nice. I will be anxious to hear how you enjoyed this trip.

WriteratSea:

I see we're both going to be in Bermuda at the same time. I'm sailing on the Majesty on May 17 and arriving in Bermuda on May 19. Maybe I'll bump into you ;) The roll call for this cruise is all but non-existent...I post messages and no one responds for days/weeks. Guess there won't be a cruisecritic gathering on this sailing:( Hope you enjoy your land trip!

While in Bermuda a few years ago we simply wandered along the shore and found a litte cove filled with sea glass. We spent an hour or so looking for special pieces.

After we returned home I made refrigerator magnets out of some larger pieces simply with stick-on magnetic strips on back and wrote "Bermuda" and date on front with a fine Sharpie. We also have a fancy drink glass from our ship filled with sea glass on our entertainment center. Great souvieners!

Hi Eddie, While we are in Bermuda on the Dream next month we are going to check out a place right in St George to possible rent next May. It is right on Shinebone Alley so it is very close to the center of town. The place does have a full kitchen, one bedroom and a livingroom. Pictures on line look very nice. I will be anxious to hear how you enjoyed this trip.

Susan, this sounds similar to the cottage we are renting. The description sounds good along with the location, near the Belmont golf course. We will find out how close the place matches the pictures by this weekend.

The website, www.bermudarentals.com had the properties seperated into three areas: West, Central and East. I noted one place in St. George that sounded interesting. Do you remember when the Majesty was tying up to the dock on Ordinance island, that they tied the ropes to posts in the front yard of a house. That is the old shopkeeper's house, located next to Customs. That is one of the properties available for rent, it is number E10.

We also considered Aunt Nea's Inn in St George as well.

We will definitely let you know how everything plays out. It will interesting to compare the two types of vacations, when we come back.:)

WriteratSea:

I see we're both going to be in Bermuda at the same time. I'm sailing on the Majesty on May 17 and arriving in Bermuda on May 19. Maybe I'll bump into you ;) The roll call for this cruise is all but non-existent...I post messages and no one responds for days/weeks. Guess there won't be a cruisecritic gathering on this sailing:( Hope you enjoy your land trip!

I am so sorry to hear that there hasn't been enough interest in a cruise critic meet and greet on your cruise. Every voyage, I have organized a meet and greet. Even though it takes a lot of time and effort, it is a fun time and the bonus is you now know people aboard. It seems like you keep bumping into these new found friends aboard the ship and in Bermuda. We have kept in touch with some of the people we have met and it is a nice memory to have in common.

We will be arriving in Bermuda at noontime on Saturday when you sail. We plan to be at the cut to St George either Monday or Tuesday morning to welcome the ship. I will try to be next to the town crier, wearing my brown Bermuda hat. We will also be at the festival in St. George on Tuesday night and I will wear my cruise critic shirt, much to the annoyance of my wife. LOL. Perhaps we will run into you, one never knows.:)

Susan, this sounds similar to the cottage we are renting. The description sounds good along with the location, near the Belmont golf course. We will find out how close the place matches the pictures by this weekend.

The website, www.bermudarentals.com had the properties seperated into three areas: West, Central and East. I noted one place in St. George that sounded interesting. Do you remember when the Majesty was tying up to the dock on Ordinance island, that they tied the ropes to posts in the front yard of a house. That is the old shopkeeper's house, located next to Customs. That is one of the properties available for rent, it is number E10.

We also considered Aunt Nea's Inn in St George as well.

We will definitely let you know how everything plays out. It will interesting to compare the two types of vacations, when we come back.:)

Hi Edward, Just wanted to wish you and Ruth a pleasant vacation in Bermuda. I tried to find the place you said you were staying, thought you said Salt Kettle but couldn't find it on that web site you gave me. That web site is great. I keep looking at them all! I'll let you know how the Crooked Elbow looks in "real life". I think it will be fun to "live" in Bermuda for a week. Would love to bring some of our food with us but with all the weight restrictions that might not be cost effective. Can't wait to hear about your new adventure. Only two more weeks and we will be on the Dream.

Hi Edward, Just wanted to wish you and Ruth a pleasant vacation in Bermuda. I tried to find the place you said you were staying, thought you said Salt Kettle but couldn't find it on that web site you gave me. That web site is great. I keep looking at them all! I'll let you know how the Crooked Elbow looks in "real life". I think it will be fun to "live" in Bermuda for a week. Would love to bring some of our food with us but with all the weight restrictions that might not be cost effective. Can't wait to hear about your new adventure. Only two more weeks and we will be on the Dream.

We booked number C91, check it out. It really is an awesome website. Fun just to browse. We will let you know how everything turns out when we get back.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I will be very interested in hearing about your trip as this is something we would like to do too.

Well we got back Sunday night and rested all day yesterday. It is nice to be back home in our own house. I had to mow the lawn and restart the paper, so back in the regular routine of life quickly.

We had a great trip and walked everywhere along with the buses and ferries. I will write a comparison of the land versus the cruise experience when I have a chance. If anyone has any questions, we should be able to answer most of them.:)

Well we got back Sunday night and rested all day yesterday. It is nice to be back home in our own house. I had to mow the lawn and restart the paper, so back in the regular routine of life quickly.

We had a great trip and walked everywhere along with the buses and ferries. I will write a comparison of the land versus the cruise experience when I have a chance. If anyone has any questions, we should be able to answer most of them.:)

Glad to hear you had a good time Edward. I look forward to hearing about this vacation. We leave Sunday on the Dream and will be checking out the Crooked Elbow while we are there.

I, too, will be interested in your take on "land stay" vs. "ship stay". We've taken 7 cruises to Bermuda and are now investigating the land based vacation. I've been checking out the stays at various cottages, etc. So whatever info you gathered and post here will be greatly appreciated.:)

Glad you had a great trip. Can't wait to hear the details! :)

Glad to hear you had a good time Edward. I look forward to hearing about this vacation. We leave Sunday on the Dream and will be checking out the Crooked Elbow while we are there.

Hi Sue. Just wishing you and Richard a safe and fun trip. We have booked the Dream for Oct 5 of this year. We would be curious to hear about your impressions of the ship when you come back.

While in Bermuda we talked to people who were on the Dream and the comments were mixed, mostly about the food. And of course, if the Dine around plan is trully gone or not.

Hopefully by the time you come back, I will have finished the land versus cruise comparison post.:)

While in Bermuda a few years ago we simply wandered along the shore and found a litte cove filled with sea glass. We spent an hour or so looking for special pieces.

After we returned home I made refrigerator magnets out of some larger pieces simply with stick-on magnetic strips on back and wrote "Bermuda" and date on front with a fine Sharpie. We also have a fancy drink glass from our ship filled with sea glass on our entertainment center. Great souvieners!

What other things do people do with the sea glass?

Archived