strangest things you've packed?

OnTheBrink

What are the oddest things you've packed?

We leave in 8 days. We are packing today. My nearly 7 year old daughter is insisting on bringing a small bag of rocks. She loves rocks. She wants to compare them to rocks at the different islands we stop at. And she wants to see if they look different in "caribbean sun." It's a heavy little bag, but it's super important to her, so it's coming with us!

Watch out, that little innocent bag of rocks might be small now, but it will gain friends. lol My DD(10) started with that around the same age and now we bring home all their friends (so they won't be lonely). She also packs a special tooth brush so they can get baths. She has put quite the kit together over the years with googly eyes and other stuff to glue on them to make them come alive.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have to share...

Be careful with the whole rock thing ;)

At about the same age my friends and I also had rock collections, that eventually developed 'personalities' and gained wardrobes and accessories...but then as we got older we progressed to the pet rocks 'dying', and had to build little coffins, bury them with full service and mark the graves...a few weeks later, they'd arise as zombie rocks...

I can't imagine what my parents thought - I'll have to ask them!:p

We did have to pack kleenex sleeping bags for my DS's imaginary ants on a couple of trips. Couldn't make them there - he needed to know they'd have a place to sleep ahead of time!

As a surprise, I packed a "pop up" tent for my then 4YO for our month-long odessy across Europe. She liked it at home - whenever she was feeling stressed, she'd pop it open and crawl in with a few stuffed friends and pillows. It was small (at least when folded) and lightweight and I figured that trapsing across an unfamilair continent, where people did not speak English, and the food was different, and the schedule was all messed up, that she might need some familiar comfort. It was worth the effort -- it really did help her out a few times and one night she even slept on the floor in it!

As for the rocks, limit the number of rocks, but beyond that it is simply not worth the trouble to try to diswade(sp?) her. Know what fights you are willing to take on -- this is not one I would bother with! Good luck -- have fun!

As for the rocks, limit the number of rocks, but beyond that it is simply not worth the trouble to try to diswade(sp?) her. Know what fights you are willing to take on -- this is not one I would bother with! Good luck -- have fun!

Oh, definitely not something to worry or fight about! My shoes far outweigh her rocks and nobody dares say anything about that!

To all the rock people.....

Rent the movie "The Long Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.....I too love rocks, and collecting them and hauling them with me home.....but when my DH and I saw this movie....well, just rent it.....trust me. :D :D :D

Archived