jeep 4 x 4 to El Limon Waterfall

1gail1

we will be in Samana 4/1/08 and are thinking of booking the jeep tour through the ship has anyone been on this that can let me know how it was? Is the walk to the falls hard? I will be bring my mother who is in her 70's but still get around pretty well. Can we swim at the falls or is there even time for that? any info would be great thanks.

we did this tour in January and it was absolutely wonderful. This is an extremely poor area, so be prepared for that. After about an hour of driving thru the most beautiful countryside, we stopped at the waterfall. It took us about 10 or 15 minutes to walk there. It was on a trail, and there are children who will help you if needed. I am in my fifties and had no problem at all. In some places it was a little muddy. I think your mom will not have any problems.

After that we continued to a beautiful beach, where you had the opportunity to purchase a rum drink. In my opinion everyone should do see this tour. Do not stay on the ship as some people have said, but be prepared to see a third world country with very friendly and helpful people.

I forgot... Yes you can go in the water at the falls, but it is not really for that. When we were there the water wasn't that great looking, although a few people did go in. There was a young boy from Samana,about 10 yrs old who would jump from the top of the falls. Some of the people were giving him dollar bills.

We are going to be on the end of March NWDawn cruise. In Samana I am planning to get a taxi to El Limon and get down at the paradas and then go to the waterfalls. I will be going with my 2 kids age 5 & 8. From what I gather there are multiple paradas on the Samana - El Limone road and they may be 25min on a taxi ride from Samana. My kids will want to go on a mule and I am planning to walk. From what I can read, this walk is about a couple of KM depending on where you start. Looks like there is some interesting vegetation along the way. I am more concerned about the hot and humidity. The last part of the walk is suppose to be steep and we will take it easy. (you can not go on the mule for the last part) More importantly comming down will be tricky specially if the trail is wet. From what I gather this is a nice place to be and something different to on a potentially hot and humid day.

Here are a couple of good websites about the El Limone water falls. There are other waterfalls in Samana and to get to this one there is a long walk ( 2 KM or so) or mule ride. I am not sure that some of the posting are correct regarding the time to walk to get to this particular waterfall.

http://www.answers.com/topic/dominican-republic-salto-de-lim-n-el-lim-n-waterfall?cat=travel

http://www.saltolimon.de/

http://www.samana.net/attractions-en5.html

I guess I will clarify my previous post. We went on the NCL tour and I don't think that tour takes you to El Limon waterfall. But we did go to a waterfall, just not sure of the name. If you are not with NCL, I am not sure which waterfall you go to.

I am sure whichever jeep tour you are on will be great..

Sharonax 3, You are correct regarding the fact the NCL doesn't offer this as part of their tour. I assume this is probably due to the "risk" of getting there.

The waterfall is only beautifully if there is "water". If the season was dry in Samana and there wasn't enough rain the waterfall may not be interesting.

I wish if someone who has visited this particular waterfall recently can post the local conditions about this.

sharonax3 thanks for the info we will be on the NCL and your are right the waterfall that this trip goes to is el valle waterfall but it still sounds fun, My sister and I took my mother on a 4 x 4 jeep through carnival a few years back and she got covered in mud so the entire ride we were trying to get even with the jeep that did this, playing cat and mouse, we had a blast and my mom was a great sport, eveyone called me the crazy woman driver it was great. hope this trip will have great memories as well.

gail

Archived