Why the short port times?

I wonder what crise the "OP" is commenting about.....

If it is a 7 night cruise with 4 ports the time in ports is short. If you take a 7 night with only 3 ports there is more time spent in ports.

besides the fact that some ports do not want you there after a certin time there are other factors.

Clearing immigration when entering port. This can take time. Other ports don't like ships in port after sunset because of navigation reasons. In Belize they ferry you on high speed boats over very shallow reefs. They need to be able to see what they are doing.

As I just stated...there are many reasones why the ship must leave port. It is just what it is.

Also on the thought of them making more money when at sea that is a good assumption. But if the cruise line didn't stop at ports not many people would cruise.....

Maybe not the only reason, but it takes quite a bit more fuel to make a ship move faster...and this number grows exponentially as the ship goes faster, i.e. it may take 4x as much fuel to make a ship go 20 kts as it would to make that same ship go 10 kts...same principle as driving a car at 100 mph vs. 50 mph. They probably leave port at a pretty good clip so as to have a buffer in case something were to happen.

Looking at the Key West calender (http://www.caribenautical.com/200803March/200803March.htm), ships do dock at Key West into the evening regularly and several times a week. Doesnt look like there is an ordanance.
At the piers at Mallory Sq. where they do the sunset entertainment the ships leave earlier. There are also piers just to the left of mallory Sq. These ships don't have to move before sunset....;)

It is a cruise and so a lions share of time should be spent at sea. When you find a port that you like you can plan a land trip there for a future vacation. As for the poster who said he would rather be in port than roaming the ship looking for something to do, if you find the cruise ship so boring why do you do it. The ship is not meant to be transportation to your vaction destination, it is your vacation destination.

Geez what is up with all the nasty remarks on cruise critic lately. You asked a question, I gave my answer, and you belittle me. Whatever. I'm done.

Erica be tough and disregard dumb.;) Don't be done!

I'm doing 3-7 day cruises, gour port each and we are spending a lot of time in each. So, it is most likely the bottom line that determins such. As another poster has stated.

Well thanks for the support. You are right. I didn't ask about Key West, and I did not intend to get into a pissing match. The reply just rubbed me wrong.

I have seen some cruises that dock overnight. I would like one of those.

Only cruise I can think of off the top of my head that docks over night is the 4 day Sensation cruise in Nassau.

PINEVIEW: Thanks :o . It just seems so tiresome on here anymore...fighting over stupid stuff...why can't our cruise come sooner? lol

TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO MENTIONED IT: No, 360 did not ask for information on Key West. He asked "why are ships in port for such a small amount of time". This question lead to a variety of very good answers. Someone mentioned better fuel consumption, some said security reasons, some mention business reasons, and I mentioned it may just be up to the local community for whatever personal reason they had. I happen to use Key West as an example of such as port that has a personal reason (sunset festival). The OP said my answer was "dumb" and then also said

"I didn't ask about Key West, and I did not intend to get into a pissing match. The reply just rubbed me wrong."

I guess I am just hurt that my answer would be "dumb and rub him the wrong way" and everyone elses answer is fine. That just doesn't make sense why he would ask a question that would be open to a ton of different answers, and he would single mine out for being dumb and harrass me about it. And I was just going to let it go, but then people just keep saying crap, about how the thread got hyjacked into a thread about Key West...this is ridiculas. Key West was brought up as an example to illistrate an answer to HIS QUESTION. I guess I just don't understand what is wrong with people......perhaps it is because i am "dumb".

PINEVIEW: Thanks :o . It just seems so tiresome on here anymore...fighting over stupid stuff...why can't our cruise come sooner? lol

TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO MENTIONED IT: No, 360 did not ask for information on Key West. He asked "why are ships in port for such a small amount of time". This question lead to a variety of very good answers. Someone mentioned better fuel consumption, some said security reasons, some mention business reasons, and I mentioned it may just be up to the local community for whatever personal reason they had. I happen to use Key West as an example of such as port that has a personal reason (sunset festival). The OP said my answer was "dumb" and then also said

"I didn't ask about Key West, and I did not intend to get into a pissing match. The reply just rubbed me wrong."

I guess I am just hurt that my answer would be "dumb and rub him the wrong way" and everyone elses answer is fine. That just doesn't make sense why he would ask a question that would be open to a ton of different answers, and he would single mine out for being dumb and harrass me about it. And I was just going to let it go, but then people just keep saying crap, about how the thread got hyjacked into a thread about Key West...this is ridiculas. Key West was brought up as an example to illistrate an answer to HIS QUESTION. I guess I just don't understand what is wrong with people......perhaps it is because i am "dumb".

Are you people serious???:eek: If more people had the oomph and pizzazz that you all have and directed in a more positive direction, the world would be a better place. We're all adults here. If all people are going to do is bicker back and forth on these threads, count me out. If you're actually going to meet in person to take this out in a slapping match..... Well, COUNT ME IN!!!:D

Relax. It's just a cruise. Have a drink... or seven... on me. It may help take the "edge" off.

I found that the people that came on and backed you up every interesting. I didn't now this about Key West. I was there for the first time last month and can't wait to go back.

Go to Roll call!

With oil at almost 120 dollars a barrel i would think it would make sense to keep those big ships parked whenever possible.

The costs of docking and loss of revenue, booze - gambling - shopping, I would imagine outweighs the higher cost of fuel.

The OP sure has a tone in his postings that tend to lead to "pissing" matches:eek: Maybe it has to do with his location:rolleyes:

The costs of docking and loss of revenue, booze - gambling - shopping, I would imagine outweighs the higher cost of fuel.

The OP sure has a tone in his postings that tend to lead to "pissing" matches:eek: Maybe it has to do with his location:rolleyes:

He he he he, I just thought it was the troll factor!

So does anyone know what the real reason is:confused: :cool: :p

1) There are no Carnival ships that can cruise at 25 knots.

2) The faster a ship goes the more fuel it uses. Running at a reduced speed might take time away from the port time, but it also saves fuel.

3) Some ships do spend a lot of time in port. Look at the time spent in port on the eastern Caribbean itineraries where the ports are closer together.

4) Some ports might not have much of a night life, or might be dangerous at night. No reason to arrive too early, as none of the business with be open.

I was wondering why our Inspiration cruise is only in Grand Cayman from 7am to 2pm....what the heck is that ??

A lot of ships stay there till 4 or 5...we have a sea day after that and then back to Tampa so theres no reason why it should leave at 2...we will have to be back on board at 130 for gods sake !!!

Makes no sense to me...if it wasnt for the wife and kids having their heart set on this one I would have booked another one....

I was wondering why our Inspiration cruise is only in Grand Cayman from 7am to 2pm....what the heck is that ??

A lot of ships stay there till 4 or 5...we have a sea day after that and then back to Tampa so theres no reason why it should leave at 2...we will have to be back on board at 130 for gods sake !!!

Makes no sense to me...if it wasnt for the wife and kids having their heart set on this one I would have booked another one....

I have a book, the Unofficial Guide to Cruises. It lists the Carnival Inspiration as having a speed of 21 knots and the NCL Jade as having a speed of 25 knots. I was on the Jade in February of this year. We left Grand Cayman at 4:00pm, spent one day at sea, and docked in Miami the following morning. The total time was about 38 hours.

In 38 hours, traveling at full speed, the NCL Jade could travel 950 nautical miles. Traveling at full speed it would take the Carnival Inspiration 45 1/4 hours (or an additional seven plus hours) to cover the same distance.

Therefore, the Carnival Inspiration might have to leave Grand Cayman at 2:00pm so that it can get to Miami on time.

1) There are no Carnival ships that can cruise at 25 knots.

2) The faster a ship goes the more fuel it uses. Running at a reduced speed might take time away from the port time, but it also saves fuel.

3) Some ships do spend a lot of time in port. Look at the time spent in port on the eastern Caribbean itineraries where the ports are closer together.

4) Some ports might not have much of a night life, or might be dangerous at night. No reason to arrive too early, as none of the business with be open.

Unless the TV screen in the room that shows the location, wind speed and knots is wrong, I personally saw it read 25 knots as we left Roatan on Friday. I saw it with my own eyes.

Unless the TV screen in the room that shows the location, wind speed and knots is wrong, I personally saw it read 25 knots as we left Roatan on Friday. I saw it with my own eyes.
The fastest cruise speed of any of the Carnival ships is 22.5 knots. However, the ships have a higher top speed. Nonetheless, no cruise line is going to operate its ships at top speed on a regular basis. Fuel use and engine maintenance costs would skyrocket.

Nonetheless, we are debating the small print here.

I just wondered why you couldn't stay in port from like 7 until 7 or 8 to 8 at some places. Cozumel to Grand Cayman is short, Cozumel to Belize is short, Belize to Roatan is REAL short...

Nonetheless, we are debating the small print here.

I just wondered why you couldn't stay in port from like 7 until 7 or 8 to 8 at some places. Cozumel to Grand Cayman is short, Cozumel to Belize is short, Belize to Roatan is REAL short...

I have traveled from Grand Cayman to Cozumel twice. Both times we left Grand Cayman at 4:00pm and did not arrive in Cozumel until 10:00am the next day. So the distance from Grand Cayman to Cozumel is greater than the distance the ships (Navigator of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas) could travel in the usual 16 hours (4:00pm to 8:00am the following morning).

I remember looking at a Carnival itinerary (I don't recall the ship or year of the itinerary) and it had the following itinerary:

Day one - Florida (I don't recall the port - most likely Miami)

Day two - at sea

Day three - Cozumel

Day four - at sea

Day five - Grand Cayman

Day six - Jamaica (I don't recall if Mo-Bay or Ocho Rios)

Day seven - day at sea

Day eight - Florida

As you can see, the distance from Cozumel to Grand Cayman was great enough that Carnival just opted for a full day at sea. As I recall, the ship stayed in Cozumel until very late, like 11pm or midnight.

The point I am trying to make is, the distance between Cozumel and Grand Cayman is more than a cruise ship can do comfortable in 16 hours. This affects the amount of time spent in port.

I have traveled from Grand Cayman to Cozumel twice. Both times we left Grand Cayman at 4:00pm and did not arrive in Cozumel until 10:00am the next day. So the distance from Grand Cayman to Cozumel is greater than the distance the ships (Navigator of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas) could travel in the usual 16 hours (4:00pm to 8:00am the following morning).

I remember looking at a Carnival itinerary (I don't recall the ship or year of the itinerary) and it had the following itinerary:

Day one - Florida (I don't recall the port - most likely Miami)

Day two - at sea

Day three - Cozumel

Day four - at sea

Day five - Grand Cayman

Day six - Jamaica (I don't recall if Mo-Bay or Ocho Rios)

Day seven - day at sea

Day eight - Florida

As you can see, the distance from Cozumel to Grand Cayman was great enough that Carnival just opted for a full day at sea. As I recall, the ship stayed in Cozumel until very late, like 11pm or midnight.

The point I am trying to make is, the distance between Cozumel and Grand Cayman is more than a cruise ship can do comfortable in 16 hours. This affects the amount of time spent in port.

I ahve been doing some cruise shoppin and decided for this cruise here because of the long night in cozumel. I very much enjoyed my last time there and we left cozumel at 6pm. lookin forward to the night life.

I ahve been doing some cruise shoppin and decided for this cruise here because of the long night in cozumel. I very much enjoyed my last time there and we left cozumel at 6pm. lookin forward to the night life.
Okay, I found it. It is the Carnival Freedom ...

01 Miami, Florida --- 4:00 PM 02 At sea --- --- 03 Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 10:00 PM 04 At sea --- --- 05 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 7:30 AM 4:30 PM 06 Ocho Rios, Jamaica 8:00 AM 3:30 PM 07 At sea --- --- 08 Miami, Florida 8:00 AM ---

The Carnival Victory does the same route, but leaves Cozumel at 6:00pm.

Okay, I found it. It is the Carnival Freedom ...

01 Miami, Florida --- 4:00 PM 02 At sea --- --- 03 Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 10:00 PM 04 At sea --- --- 05 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 7:30 AM 4:30 PM 06 Ocho Rios, Jamaica 8:00 AM 3:30 PM 07 At sea --- --- 08 Miami, Florida 8:00 AM ---

The Carnival Victory does the same route, but leaves Cozumel at 6:00pm.

Interesting. Found the triumph over new years, think its there from like 10 am till 11 or 12 at night. I think 12. not 100 percent

One of the reasons may be that the ports try to accomodate as many ships as they can. I am not speaking as one who cruises a lot, as I am just now going on my first cruise, but as one that knows Puerto Vallarta well since I travel there often. I remember that the new maritime terminal there opened up to great fanfare because the city would be able to have more ships dock. At one point it was on the news that 6 ships had docked in one day. However, they then had to juggle the times that the ships were allowed to stay in port. Some cruise lines had to reduce their port time considerably, and leave earlier, to allow other ships to dock after them. That meant some ships who were normally there overnight now cut down to 12 hours or less. That is also why some port dockings are so late (ie the fact that Carnival didn't used to get in until 5pm, they had to wait for Royal Carribean to leave). A few people that I met from the ships complained that they wouldn't get to see the bullfights as planned because the ship cut the port time in half.

So, like Erica, I am speaking of this particular point as an example of a reason why port times are short. Ships may leave earlier so that the port may accommodate more ships that will have to dock after it leaves.

Archived