Pre-Cruise in San Juan

awtry

My wife and I are sailing on the Golden Princess on Sunday, Oct 3 and are arriving in San Juan on the afternoon of the 2nd for a 1-nite precruise stay at the Marriott. Since we won't have much time (arriving late afternoon, transport to ship at noon on Sunday), we were looking for info on what to do. Thinking of doing some walking around in OSJ on Saturday evening or Sunday morning. Have heard some opinions that OSJ is not a 'safe' place to walk around at nite - looking for other opinions. Also have heard that OSJ is essentially shut down on Sundays, so not much going on Sun morning. Any advice on these things?

We've found walking around OSJ on Saturday night to be very safe. Lots of people, lots of tourists, lots of policemen. I'd check into your hotel, grab a cab, and head for Old Town. Lots of great places to eat dinner, all the shops will be open - Old Town is a lot of fun on a Saturday night. I'm not sure where the Marriott is located, but if it is in the Condado area - that would probably not be a real good place to wander around at night.

Sunday morning is dead in OSJ - everything is closed. That would be a good time to walk your hotel neighborhood. Return before 11 to pick up your bags, get a cab to the pier, and your timing will be perfect for checking in and boarding.

Have a great cruise. We'll be on the January 23rd Golden! Wish it were tomorrow!

Dave

Thanks! That helps a lot, and is kind of what we were thinking. Yes, the Marriott is in Condado, sounds like Sunday AM would be a good time to maybe check out the beach and relax before heading to the ship.

Have a great cruise in January!

Archived