Another 9 day Pearl review

Richintx

Well let me start by saying we had a great time any any cruise is a good cruise. We got back Sunday

I am 57 and my wife is 50 and we have been on many cruises and in many type of cabins. Things started off a little rocky with the flight to Miami. We were to leave Dallas on Thusday but due to a freak snow American canceled most of it's flights. We then drove 250 miles to Houston to catch a 6:00 AM flight on Friday. This kept getting delayed and we finally left at 11:00 AM arriving Miami at 2:20. Got our bags and after a fast cab ride arrived at the ship at 2:55. We got on in less then 5 minutes. They told us we could have been as late as 3:30.

We got on the ship which was beauitful, still looks brand new. Our cabin was 10000 an AC penthouse suite at the front of the ship underneath the bridge. The cabin was also great. Our butler Orlando was never to helpful and really did not see him much until the last night. The concierge Carlos was great. Carlos was always checking in with you leaving you notes and visting at breakfast. Orlando was another story he was hard to find and did not explain the special phone to call him until we asked him.

Our luggage came quickly except one bag which when I called they said I had to go to deck 7 and open it in front of them. This was no big deal because for once I had no liquor in it. I opened it and all they were concerened about was a can of deoderant and shaving jel.

On to the food. We did not have to worry about reservations because Carlos could make them for the whole week if we wanted. We never asked him to make any and we never made any ourselves either. When we got hungry we just went to this board which is on every floor and looked at what was busy and just went to the ones that were not. If you eat late around 8:30 or so it is no problem to get in someplace. I saw people who were all stressed out getting up early to stand in a line to get a time. We ate at Cagneys for breakfast when we could but never for dinner. Our favorites were Mambos and Lotus Garden.

The first day at sea was crowded but if you wait until around noon people are getting burnt and you can get a chair.

The 2nd day we took the tender to Samana and spent the day at the beach. It's a nice beach, with chairs, bars and food.

The 3rd day was Tortola just did some shopping and then went back to the pool on the ship. No one was there.

The 4th day Antigua got off and walked around town then got on the ferry and off to the Virgin Gorda Baths. This was great. Do not pay for the ship excursion do it yourself. Just walk to the ferry and it costs $25 round trip with a $6 round trip cab ride.

The 5th day we did the bike and swim excursion in Barbados. We met the couple next to us and they talked us into going with them. It was alot of fun. You get on a bus and they take you to the top of the hill 1200 ft.

and you coast down hill for about a hour. Some peddling but pretty easy. You go through sugar plantations and the golf course where Tiger Woods got married.

The 6th day in St Lucia we got off and found a driver and van for a 4 hour island tour for $25 a person. The trick is find 6 people to go with you and you will save about $30 each. He name was Treavor. There is a waitress on the ship name Bernadete who is from St. Lucia who called and arranged it for us.

The last two days at sea were the same as the first day.

Well that's about it.

Nice to the point review.

We are headed out in April for 19 days on the Pearl. When we did the Jewel for two weeks, we ate like you. Check to see what was available and try to decide what sounds good, and go for it. Some folks make it way too complicated, like trying to review a menu months in advance.

Too bad the butler was hard to find, especially after all you paid for that cabin. We did a suite on the Spirit last year and made good use of the Butler for inroom dining. Did not use Concierge on that trip at all.

For those that are NEW to NCL Cruising, check out these FAQs - click here

Archived