Are Visas Needed In Turkey?

Ohiosuzyq

I understand from a tour director that, if we are taking private excursions in Turkey and not taking the ship's shore excursion, we will need visas. The Turkey website says they can detain people if they do not have one and it also says you can get a visa at the port of entry. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it a new requirement and has anyone gotten a visa before? If so, can you explain the process?

Unless this is a new law in Turkey, you do not need one for just a day or overnight visit from a cruise ship. I was in Istanbul (overnight) and Kusadashi just this past October on Galaxy, had private tour guides in both places and did not need one.

Unless this is a new law in Turkey, you do not need one for just a day or overnight visit from a cruise ship. I was in Istanbul (overnight) and Kusadashi just this past October on Galaxy, had private tour guides in both places and did not need one.

We did a private tour from the Millennium in Turkey last Oct. (Kusadasi). Visa's were never discussed...at all, on the whole cruise for that matter.

Steve

While in Turkey in 2006 we did 2 stops and really did need visas, but we made the mistake of getting them from Oceania and paid triple what you'd pay from either entry port or online from embassy. Our private guide had assured us it was way cheaper, but it was too late then. Those of you who they didn't mention them onboard...don't know, but I felt safer to have one! It's about 21$ from the port, but we'd paid 60$!

You don't need a visa if you are not arriving in or leaving Turkey by air (say). The cruise ship will take your passport after you leave Greece and present it to the Turkish authorities on your behalf.

You get a little landing card which you show Turkish immigration when you leave the ship and return. At the end of your port call you hand in your card. Later on you get your passport back before you re-enter the EU at (say) Mykonos.

Archived