beaches

patience32

Our son went to Morne Rouge which is just past Grand Anse, he enjoyed it very much. We went further (20 minute ride) to Magazine beach, just past the airport. It is a lovely peaceful place, just ask to be dropped off at the Aquarium restaurant and arrange a return pick up time. You can get a chair for $5.00 and there are only a couple of vendors there that dont harass you.

We tried snorkeling at Magazine beach - but didn't have fins with us. The coral close to shore was not very active, so snorkeling there was just OK, looked better as I started to get out a bit but didn't feel comfortable without fins. We're going there again but taking our fins next time. This is a quiet uncrowded place. No snorkeling equipment for rent there. Restaurant is very good, but definitely on island time - so relax and be patient.

Yes - there was one man next to the restaurant renting the chairs. During the course of the day there I think we were approached by two vendors selling trinkets and such. He was one of them, and very nice, he even "told" us, in a way that was more like asking, that he would stop by later to show us some things he had for sale. One other vendor stopped by who was nice as well. I suppose they are all relatively nice as long as it isn't one after another all day like I've heard it is at times and Grand Anse. Too bad as I've heard that Grand Anse it otherwise very nice. The items they were pushing were typical beach necklaces and spice necklaces. They sell the same items at the straw market type stands near the port at about 1/2 the price.

Hey, if you've ever been to Jamaica on vacation, you can handle a few beach vendors! lol!

Thanks for all you info, I think I have a plan now for our stop in Grenada. Now all I have to plan for is St. Kitts and I'm trying to find the same perfect beach there as well. Any suggestions for that island are greatly appreciated!:)

... Now all I have to plan for is St. Kitts and I'm trying to find the same perfect beach there as well. Any suggestions for that island are greatly appreciated!:)

Don't want to get too off topic here - so here are links to a couple threads discussing one of my two favorite excursions in the Caribbean wich is at St. Kitts. This one is actually a ships excursion:

Look at post #22 on this one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=313569&highlight=fan-ta-sea

and read this thread as well:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=650552

c

Hey, if you've ever been to Jamaica on vacation, you can handle a few beach vendors! lol!

Thanks for all you info, I think I have a plan now for our stop in Grenada. Now all I have to plan for is St. Kitts and I'm trying to find the same perfect beach

believe me these RE GETTING WORSE THEN JAMAICA 49 in three hors .ten years ago youd see a singer a drinks ma n and someone with spices now its crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we just returned from our cruise on the Crown with a stop in Grenada. We took a taxi ($20 roundtrip) to Magazine Beach/Aquarium Restaurant. We arrived at 9:30 am and found that we were the only 2 people there and even beat the chair rental guy! Someone in the restaurant told us he would be there about 10, but gave us 2 chairs right then.

We were there until 12:30 and only 6 other people showed up during that time. Talk about quiet and peaceful! The surf was up so I didn't venture into snorkeling, but did enjoy just cooling off in the water. We didn't buy any food or drinks, but did use the restroom facilities and they were very nice and clean. :)

When the taxi picked us up he had another couple in the taxi on an island tour, so we toured the St. George's college on the way back to the ship and drove by Grand Anse. I'm sure the beach is beautiful, but after seeing the crowds, my friend and I were soooo glad we had ventured a little further! Just be sure you allow enough time to get back to the ship as there was significant traffic on the way back through town.

Thanks for the report! Sounds like you had a great time. We'll be on the Crown on the 26th, with a stop in Grenada, and I was thinking about hitting up Magazine beach & Aquarium restaurant for part of the day. After reading your report, I'm even more convinced that it would be a good choice.

I do have a few of questions. How easy was it to get a taxi, and were you worried at all about the taxi not coming back to pick you up when they were supposed to? Could you have arranged a short tour with the taxi driver to see some sights before being dropped off at the beach? Also, will the restaurant/bar serve you food & drinks on the beach, or do you have to go inside for them?

Thanks again!

I wasn't worried that the taxi wouldn't return because who gives a free ride around the island? lol! The friend that I took had never done this and I assured her that I had done it many times and had never been burned.

He was about 5 minutes late and boy was she getting nervous!

I did not see anyone from the restaurant coming out on the beach. There weren't that many people on the beach!

I'm sure the taxi would give you a tour of the island if you asked, but you actually get to see quite a lot just getting to Magazine Beach. There are many drivers waiting behind a portable fence just begging you to come to them. I just went with a gut feeling about which to walk to.

I can't believe so many people say not to get off the ship in Grenada. I thought it was a beautiful island and a great place to spend a few hours on the beach. Have a great trip!:)

We just returned from our second trip to Magazine beach. We had a wonderful day there. The surf was a little higher this time and a good part of our group choose not to swim or go snorkeling. I tried snorkeling as others on the beach told us that the snorkeling was OK past the breaking waves. It was nice and you could see some nice coral and lots of fish - not the best on our trip but definitely worth doing. There were definitely small swells, but no strong currents and I had a nice time.

When we first arrived at the beach around 11AM there were lots of people on the beach and no more chairs available. I was pretty surprised. But the guy renting the chairs and selling some trinkets told me it was a tour group and would be gone in an hour. He was right and about noon most of the people cleared out and the beach became very uncrowded. The beach guy set up chairs for our group as soon as they were available.

Taxi: As you first enter the cruise terminal you'll be approached by one or two people offering either water taxi (to Grand Anse Beach) or tours. Just tell them you want a land taxi to go to the Aquarium restaurant and they will find one for you. These gentlemen act like dispatchers. There were lots of taxis available at the pier. The fare was round trip and the driver didn't want any money until he returned up at the time we requested for the return trip. If you want to tour a bit on the way there or back the drivers would be more than happy to oblige.

Have a good trip!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what time the Aquarium restaurant is open??
I'll answer my own question- bar opens at 10:00, didn't need any food after eating breakfast on the Crown! So glad we went to this beach, white sandy beach, totally deserted except for the chair rental guy and ONE beach vendor ( who never bothered us again after we told him no thanks)!!! I think this day in Grenada was one of our best. The staff at the restaurant were friendly and the scenery was beautiful. We would definitely go back to this beach again!

• 3 months later...

Last March, as discussed above, we had a fantastic grilled swordfish sandwich. Also had some drinks ordered at the bar that we carried out to the beach. Our friends had a beef burger that they liked but didn't rave about. I don't recall the cab fare. But $20/PP round trip sounds too high. If I had to guess I'd guess it was round $20 each way for the whole cab (4 of us) but don't really recall - it wasn't so expensive nor inexpensive that the fare stuck out in my mind.

• 1 month later...
Last March, as discussed above, we had a fantastic grilled swordfish sandwich. Also had some drinks ordered at the bar that we carried out to the beach. Our friends had a beef burger that they liked but didn't rave about. I don't recall the cab fare. But $20/PP round trip sounds too high. If I had to guess I'd guess it was round $20 each way for the whole cab (4 of us) but don't really recall - it wasn't so expensive nor inexpensive that the fare stuck out in my mind.

Thank you for the reply.

Do you remember how long it takes to get from the cruise terminal to Magazine Beach? We will only be in port until 2:00 pm so I am trying to plan accordingly.

Many thanks!!!

Thank you for the reply.

Do you remember how long it takes to get from the cruise terminal to Magazine Beach? We will only be in port until 2:00 pm so I am trying to plan accordingly.

Many thanks!!!

Don't really remember, but I'd guess about 20 minutes. You'll need to arrainge a pick up time with the taxi driver who drops you off.

• 4 weeks later...

that sound like a good spot to go.I will try it when i am there.The only thing that bothered me years ago when i went was a native woman asked me if i wanted my hair braided and had 4 done before i could tell her no while i was sitting at grande anse beach.i ended up giving her a couple of dollars.:) The worst thing for me is figuring out where to keep my money,towel,etc safe if we both want to go in the water at the same time without having everything possibly lifted.

...The worst thing for me is figuring out where to keep my money,towel,etc safe if we both want to go in the water at the same time without having everything possibly lifted.

Well - I've never hesitated to leave towel and beach bag with cover-ups and other misc items on the beach while we're swimming. I have one of those water wallets we carry our cash, credit cards and ship card in - and I wear that around my neck or someplace it won't be carried away by the waves (don't just stick it in a pocket without fastening it in somehow). Occasionally they'll leak a little when diving down while snorkeling, but it still keeps stuff with me and if the dollars get a little wet the taxi drivers, restaurants and vendors still take them. They dry off quickly once back on the ship. I usually throw spare change and a few singles in my beach bag - if they get lost/stolen it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Biggest worry is the camera - I do have a waterproof case I bought for snorkeling that I use at the beach to carry it with us.

I've never had any problems in a couple dozen beach stops. I realize there is always a chance the towels and other minor things left in the beach bag could get lifted, but while that would be a pain and a small cost it wouldn't be as bad as larger sums of cash or credit cards being stolen.

This is a great thread! We are visiting Grenada for the first time, off the Emerald Princess in March. We are avid snorkelers and we are looking for a beach with as few vendors as possible and good snorkeling a reasonable distance from shore. Magazine Beach sounds very good - does anyone here have a link to some pictures of the place? Any other suggestions of beaches that would fit the bill are welcomed too. Thanks!!!

Gene and Kathy from Cape Cod

Archived