What do Families do in St. Maarten?

njtwinmom

I posted this on the St. Maarten boards, but thought I list it here as well.

We will be traveling with 2 boys age 11, a boy 15 and a boy 7 so we don't want to go to any clothing optional beaches with them. What is there to do for families on St. Maarten where I wouldn't have to worry about them seeing topless women or nudity? We will be on the Crown Princess Nov 2. Thanks!

Last year when we were in St. Maarten, we went to Divi Little Bay beach resort. It is an easy cab ride from the port. Here is their website:

http://www.diviresorts.com/DiviLittleBay/index.html

We have 2 sons 10 and 12. We saw no nudity there. It is a very nice beach. You can rent chairs and umbrellas. There is a small store where you can buy snacks and drinks. I think you can rent jet skis, etc. We headed out early (got there by 10am) and had a very relaxing morning on the beach. In the morning there weren't any crowds. More people were coming in as we were leaving. We went back to the ship for a late lunch, then headed to town by water taxi to the shops downtown. St. Maarten has GREAT shopping BTW. It was a great day and a wonderful port!

The last time we were in St. Maarten we took the "Loterie Farm Treetop Tour Adventure" and enjoyed it thoroughly. Our son just turned 8 at the time and enjoyed the challenge. It was offered as a tour option on RCCL. There are a couple reviews of the place on tripadvisor.

We just came back from the Caribbean Princess and while we ended up going to Orient Beach based on recommendations here, I was not too impressed and plan to stay on the beach by the boardwalk (where the water taxi from the port drops you off) next time - it's free, no nudity and there are plenty of restaurants and shops within an easy walk. Yes, it is smaller than the others but consider this - to get to any of them you pay at least $6 r/t - for 5 of us we paid $60 for the trip to the beach plus $15 for umbrella and chairs. And I don't think we would have had a worse time had we stayed on the beach in Phillipsburg. They also have a lot of watersports there - jet ski, kayaks, etc. Just my two cents.

Hi, a couple of years ago we went on the Pirate Boat in St. Maarten with our family & two other families we were travelling with. The 5 kids in our group (age range 3-7) all jumped off the bow of the ship into the water and swam to a small beach (they had life jackets on) where they played and swam. The adults in our group snorkled and hung out on the beach with our kids. We were the only ones on the beach at the time, but you can check with the Lord Sheffield people to see if that has changed.

We had a great time & I would definitely do this excursion again if we get to go on another Carribean cruise.

The website is: http://www.stmaarten-shoretrips.com/lordsheffield/.

Have fun!

We just came back from the Caribbean Princess and while we ended up going to Orient Beach based on recommendations here

Hey don't blame it on us, you didn't ask the family board, you asked the St.Martin board. :p ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679648

Just kidding. :D So now I am curious what you didn't like about Orient Beach? I remember some of the staff at one oceanfront hotel being downright rude to us when I stopped the baby stroller under their canopy. :rolleyes: So what was your experience with Orient?

Crusingmama,

It's not so much that I didn't like Orient, I just thought it wasn't worth the $75 expense just to get there and get an umbrella (plus an overpriced sandwich at $10). It was smaller than I expected, very crowded (with only two ships in port) and I did not think the water was any better than the water at the beach in Phillipsburg. Just like most Caribbena water which is turqoise, clean and pretty. The watersports were more expensive than the other beach and frankly I was just underwhelmed. I think it just gets a lot of hype.

And I wasn't really bothered by the nude people (we saw maybe a dozen) so that's not it.

Crusingmama,

It's not so much that I didn't like Orient, I just thought it wasn't worth the $75 expense just to get there and get an umbrella (plus an overpriced sandwich at $10). It was smaller than I expected, very crowded (with only two ships in port) and I did not think the water was any better than the water at the beach in Phillipsburg. Just like most Caribbena water which is turqoise, clean and pretty. The watersports were more expensive than the other beach and frankly I was just underwhelmed. I think it just gets a lot of hype.

And I wasn't really bothered by the nude people (we saw maybe a dozen) so that's not it.

That makes perfect sense. You're right, it is a very crowded beach. Thanks for the review :) And welcome back. :D

The last time we were in St. Maarten we took the "Loterie Farm Treetop Tour Adventure" and enjoyed it thoroughly. Our son just turned 8 at the time and enjoyed the challenge. It was offered as a tour option on RCCL. There are a couple reviews of the place on tripadvisor.

With that said, and with the woman just dying from an excursion like this, would you still feel this is a safe trip? We've signed up my 12 year old DD to go along with her two older siblings (30 & 28). I'm nervous about all of them doing it! DH and I are staying back to watch the grandbabies...which will probably be more eventfull than the zip-line.

Did you feel that the excursion itself was run well? Did you notice anything that might sway you or anyone else from doing it?

Sorry..nervous mom here. Thanks!

We just came back from the Caribbean Princess and while we ended up going to Orient Beach based on recommendations here, I was not too impressed and plan to stay on the beach by the boardwalk (where the water taxi from the port drops you off) next time - it's free, no nudity and there are plenty of restaurants and shops within an easy walk. Yes, it is smaller than the others but consider this - to get to any of them you pay at least $6 r/t - for 5 of us we paid $60 for the trip to the beach plus $15 for umbrella and chairs. And I don't think we would have had a worse time had we stayed on the beach in Phillipsburg. They also have a lot of watersports there - jet ski, kayaks, etc. Just my two cents.

Can you or anyone else give me info on the water taxi from the port? Is this something you pay for once there, or do you book it through the cruise line. How long is the ride? Would this be suitable for an 11 month old?

Thanks!

Can you or anyone else give me info on the water taxi from the port? Is this something you pay for once there, or do you book it through the cruise line. How long is the ride? Would this be suitable for an 11 month old?

Thanks!

St. Maarten has a very new cruise pier. It is too long of a walk into town, but you can see town from the pier. You have to walk about 200 yards to the water taxi, depending on how far down the dock your ship is. You pay $5 at the water taxi pier to ride all day, as many times as you wish. I think I paid $3 for the kids, but infants may be free. You get a wrist band, this serves as your ticket. It is a short ride to town, and you are dropped off in the heart of the shopping area. The water taxi goes in a circle between the dock, and two stops in town. The first stop is on the far right end of town, as you see it from the dock. The second stop is about 2/3 of the way down the harbor, to the left. The main shopping street runs parallel to the shore. It is on the far side of the buildings you see when looking at the town from the ship. We got off at the first stop then walked down the main drag and returned to the ship via the second stop. There is a pretty beach right there, in town. However, I have read that the water quality is not good there and other posters have warned about swimming there. It was such a prevelant topic on the St. Maarten board, that I don't think that I would use the town beach. It would be perfectly safe and suitable for you to take an 11 mo old on the water taxi. Have fun! It is a great port!

DW and I along with kids 5 and 9 are headed out on the Golden Eagle Catamaran for a morning of coastal sight seeing, snorkeling and beach bumming. We did a lot of research about what would work and what wouldnt for their age groups, and settled on this. They're both fish in the water and are very comfortable with snorkel gear (they have their own stuff, as do mom and I) so it was an easy choice for us. We are planning on an afternoon jaunt around the area nearby the pier just to get some land legs and photos. The hardest part was finding an age limit that let our active 5yo in on the fun.

• 2 weeks later...

The semi submarine was interesting for all.

We saw lots of fish and coral reefs.

Boat ride then go to bottom of boat to see they feeding the fish.

We took water tax to beach by boat. It was lovely. My husband stayed in the restaurant looking out at the beach while we swimmed. He doesn't like the beach.

We had 9 year old and 8 year old and 2 year old with us.

We took my 3 year old to the butterfly farm before we hit the beach and she LOVED it! It is close to Gallion Beach - which I understand is one of the best beaches for smaller kids. We went to orient beach because I have gone there for years and never had an issue with the nudity. I like being able to get chairs and an umbrella and food, showers, etc. But I have a daughter - not boys - so may be different if you have boys -

• 4 weeks later...
With that said, and with the woman just dying from an excursion like this, would you still feel this is a safe trip? We've signed up my 12 year old DD to go along with her two older siblings (30 & 28). I'm nervous about all of them doing it! DH and I are staying back to watch the grandbabies...which will probably be more eventfull than the zip-line.

Did you feel that the excursion itself was run well? Did you notice anything that might sway you or anyone else from doing it?

Sorry..nervous mom here. Thanks!

Talk about a delayed response...here goes anyways

The staff on that tour was very attentive and always watching; so much so that they noticed within seconds when my DS only had one support wire attached (two are required). They pointed it out before I had a chance to attach it. We had an adult in front and an adult behind to help; but he really didn't need it. He felt so accomplished after the tour that it was great for his self-confidence.

-Is it as safe as walking along the beach and going to a butterfly farm? No

-Would I do it again? Definitely

-Does the staff have safety in mind? Yes

As you traverse through the course there is always at least 1 support cable connected to your harness, so if you do slip the harness will prevent a fall. The recent occurrence in Honduras is definitely tragic, but rare. I've been on more extreme zip line tours and I think that the one at Loterie farm is relatively mild.

Archived