I need more suggestions for a BOOK to read

sklja

STEPHEN AMBROSE..

Before you jump up and say "all he writes about is war things'... consider the following,

(SNIP!)

Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad, 1863-1869. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000.

I gotta second this. It really brings up the unsavory maneuverings of the rail-finance barons of the Credit Mobilier, as well as the heroic and superhuman accomplishments of the men who actually laid the rails.

capncarp, I have a bit of a vested interest in that book.

I retired from the UP railroad last year and when Ambrose was coming out with his book, he chose the UP and Omaha NE to have the 'coming out party'. He and his family and 'others' were traveling on a special passenger train across the UP and stopped in to tour the dispaching center where I worked.

I was selected to give one of his groups a tour and at the end of the tour, Ambrose had an autographed book for each of the guides that had assisted him and his family.

Excellent read - knew all the places, events and people he wrote of in the book.

Get this book..."The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory. I LOVED IT!! It is long (somewhere around 600 pages), but I found myself sad when it was over! I wanted more of it. It grabbed me on page one and I could not put it down. I have given it as a gift to several people. Everyone I have told to read it (and did) said they loved it also and have passed it on to others who have loved it. A historical novel at it's best, with romance, interigue, betrayal, the works. They made a movie and the movie was dreadful!! Get this book, you won't be sorry.

For a great "woman's fiction" book set on a cruise ship: A Necessary Woman by Helen Van Slyke, about a journalist at a cross-roads in her life, who wins an around the world cruise and reports back to her editor from each port.

For "fluff": Harlequin Mediterranean Nights is a series of at least 12 romance novels set on cruise ships. (I just picked up the lot of them on ebay for $4.99, which I plan to read and leave in the ship's libary on future cruises!)

If you fancy something completely different - I normally read chicklit but couldn't put down 'The Jigsaw Man' by Paul Britton

It's a selection of true cases that the Criminal Psychologist and profiler Paul Britton worked on in the UK - very high profile cases - if you are into the programme Criminal Minds, you'll love this - all true stories

So be warned, it is fascinating but it does tell you what really happened - may not be your cup of tea for holiday but I took it away on a fortnight trip and read it in 2 afternoons.

If you like time travel, history, romance, mystery, and a story that pulls you in and won't let you go, I have to recommend the first in the series "Outlander".

I would not recommend reading these out of order because they build on previous book.

I also recommend the James Patterson series "Murder Club". But to me these are quick reads.

I find her books to be an easy read...especially for cruising or at the beach-I can put them down for a while, and come right back to where I left off, and not losing track of where I was...plus, the majority of them are set along the CT/RI/MASS coast, so I can just picture the locations.....

I'm just finishing "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch (sp?)...what a great loss of a great imagination and mind that was...

Also have Tim Russert's "wisdom of our fathers" which I'm looking forward to reading...another great voice/political presence quelled with his loss...I find my self wondering what his reaction would be to the way things are playing out for the upcoming elections..

An erudite, witty novel that will have you laughing from page one. The narrator accidentally burnt down Emily Dickinson's house and from there it all went downhill. "A Confederacy of Dunces" for the literate, it mercifully avoids the implausibility, tedium and ridiculous dialogue of ACOD.

I, too, would recommend The Last Lecture. I was afraid it was going to be morbid and sad, but it was very inspiring.

Right now I am reading American Wife and having a hard time putting it down to work or do ANYTHING. But then again it is what kind of books you like to read.

You cannot go wrong with anything by Alexander McCall Smith - & there's a lot to choose from with him, such as the Ladies' No. 1 Detective Agency series. Also, if you're interested in something travel-themed & entertaining it would be hard to beat Bill Bryson. All of his travel books are a joy to read but he also has a couple others - A Short History of Nearly Everything (the title doesn't lie on that one) or his memoir, The Life & Times of The Thunderbolt Kid. Be prepared for funny looks when you laugh out loud at his books.

Hope this helps!:D

Jude Devereaux's "A Knight in Shining Armor". I know, a cheesy title but the read is great! I've passed this book on to many women who LOVED it!

Kind of a time trave love story.

I loved, loved, loved A KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR. Thanks for mentioning that book! I guess it's time to dig it out and read that book again. Thanks for reminding me!!!

Lynn

I too am looking for a good/great book to read on the cruise I will be taking....

I have read most of the chick lit books including A is for, B is for...Stepanie Plum novels, shopaholic books, light books etc. Although I must say, I have loved them all and will continue reading them at a future date....I read all the Grisham books too which I liked and read Davinci Code and the others too.

I am looking for something that maybe is not such a quick read but will keep me interested without being bored. I like mystery, with a bit of romance, maybe historical or being placed in a "period" time. I don't mind if the book is long either...

thanks

sklja

I absolutely love the series about King Henry VIII by Philippa Gregory:

The Other Boleyn Girl

The Queen's Fool

The Virgin's Lover

The Constant Princess

The Boleyn Inheritance

They are really great reads!!!!

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but I vote for A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffet!!!!!!!!

I thought his "Where is Joe Merchant" had more "chew" to it. IMHO, SPOL had more of a fairy-tale feel with lighthouses, bonefish, and an interesting way of eating ice cream:o thrown in. And I'm NOT going to elaborate on THAT.;)

I picked up Marley and Me in an airport on a layover after finishing The Last Lecture in record time, a wonderful read. I still had many hours of travel left.

If you have a dog or a family, you must read Marley and Me. It was an easy read and had many laugh out loud moments.

• 2 months later...
I absolutely love the series about King Henry VIII by Philippa Gregory:

The Other Boleyn Girl

The Queen's Fool

The Virgin's Lover

The Constant Princess

The Boleyn Inheritance

They are really great reads!!!!

I liked her stuff and I have read all of her Tudor novels-but Jean Plaidy's stuff on the Tudors and her Queen Victoria series was absolutely wonderful Now MS Plaidy has been dead for over 10 years and so her novles have been around for a LONGGGGGGGG time-but her stuff is still good.

And if you want a histrionically accurate biography on the Tudors-you can't beat Alison Weir's stuff. She makes dry facts very interesting.

another fictitious Tudor novel I enjoyed was Karen Harper's, "The Last Boleyn," this novel also was about Mary Boleyn, and I enjoyed it better than the "Other Boleyn Girl."

Archived