Someone explain to me about Hurricane Season please?

I know there are times known to TA's as 'Hurricane Season' - what determines this? I mean, is there a standard time frame that hurricane's usually hit, or is this a known fact weather-wise?

I have a trip to Negril Oct. 17th - which I booked right 'after' hurricane season. But - how do I know there won't be any hurricanes? Or is this just a guess-timate as to the trends over the past few years?

And, how often do hurricanes actually occur outside of season? Likely, or unlikely?

Thanks for any answers you can give - I know it sounds like a stupid question but I had to ask! :rolleyes:

Season is June 30th -Nov 30 in the Atlantic...

Last year we had a storm in May,and a storm in Dec.

I know they were named storms,but I do not know if they reached hurricane status..or if they even made land fall.

I wouldn't rule anything out after this season :o

Hurricane Season technically runs from June first through Nov. 30 each year, so, "technically", you will be travelling to a hurricane-prone area (Jamaica). This is not just a "TA thing. This is a fact. However, Hurricanes are more active in September, but have been known to occur each month during this time, and even in December. Where in Negril will you be staying? If it's at Sandals Negril, they have a "Hurricane Guarantee", meaning you will be compensated for any time you have to endure a NWS Hurricane. Tropical storms and depressions don't count, though.

Hurricane Season technically runs from June first through Nov. 30 each year, so, "technically", you will be travelling to a hurricane-prone area (Jamaica). This is not just a "TA thing. This is a fact. However, Hurricanes are more active in September, but have been known to occur each month during this time, and even in December. Where in Negril will you be staying? If it's at Sandals Negril, they have a "Hurricane Guarantee", meaning you will be compensated for any time you have to endure a NWS Hurricane. Tropical storms and depressions don't count, though.

We bought travel insurance just for this reason! Thanks everyone!

There have been tropical storms and hurricaines that have formed in every month since recorded weather history began. September is usually a peak time for storms to form that come as tropical waves off the west coast of Africa.

October brings a peak in storms that form in the Caribbean. We are entering a very active cycle for tropical cyclones over the next few years. Be thankful for modern technology that allows for tracking and predictions. The 1600+ deaths in Haiti while tragic is of course dwarfed by the 6000 people dead in Galveston that September day in 1900 when the category 3 storm slammed without any prior warning into the Texas coast.

and tropical storms can only form and gain strength in waters of 80 degrees or higher... so as the waters cool... so does the chance of a hurricane and tropical storm. Thus... earlier in the "season" less storms... later in the "season" less storms....

But, with that said... predictions are just a good guess!

NO MORE HURRICANES-NO MORE! 4 is ENOUGH to have to live thru here in Florida....

This just isn't fun anymore! I'm tired of cleaning up debris, I'm tired of sitting in my house and hoping and praying nothing falls on it or the shingles stay put or better yet my power stays on, I'm tired of rain and flooding, I'm just plain tired of these hurricanes!

I asked hubby the other day: "How does Alaska sound?" LOL

My husband and I had to reschedule a trip to Puerto Rico in mid-November 1999 because of a hurricane. Hurricanes may not happen very often that late in the season, but they CAN develop.

Yes, I remember being on a cruise on the Veendam - western Caribbean - and we were just ahead of a rare west-to-east hurricane in November!

Archived