Process for flying home early without a Passport?

You already have your answer.

One: Unless you are in the US or Territory, you WON'T be able to fly -period, the airlines will not budge. You can get a temp, but you first have to get to a consulate to get one - which was previously stated that they are not on every island.

Two: Most cruise ships will require passport for embarking in 2009, I know RCL is already stated this - and this will include on and off their ships at port of calls. I think most cruise lines will follow - too many rules and differences and they don't want to train thier staff to know what all the laws are - so passports for everyone who cruises and this will make it much easier for them.

Three: The reason no one has given you a first hand story about how they got back to the US without a passport is because of two reasons, one - this is a new law and they were less restrictive till now and they were bale to travel with other documents, and secondly, they were not able to travel by air at all, so they have nothing to tell you except the hell they went through to get the passport in hand so they could fly!!!

This is from American Airlines about passports.

c.gifPassport Information

passportAndTicket_vert_m.jpg

Planning on traveling internationally? Visit the U.S. State Department's website* for passport services and information.

Because documentation requirements vary based on the countries included in your travel, we strongly recommend that you contact the nearest applicable Consulate(s) for the latest updates.

Please note the following:

• Effective October 1, 2007, ALL American Airlines/American Eagle passengers on an international flight will be required to hold a valid passport (in addition to any other required documentation) to enter or depart the United States by air.

This initiative will not affect travel between the United States and its territories. U.S. citizens traveling between the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa will continue to be able to use established forms of identification to board flights and for entry.
    Additional background information on this initiative* is also available from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  • All passports issued October 26, 2006 or later must be an e-Passport for VWP travelers to be eligible to enter the United States without a visa. An e-Passport has an integrated computer chip that holds the same information printed on the passport's data page: the holder's name, date of birth and other biographic information.

Temporary, emergency, official and diplomatic passports are exempted from digital photo and electronic chip requirements, but must be machine-readable. This rule applies to all VWP countries except for Germany. Temporary or emergency German passports are not valid for VWP travel, and must contain a visa for admission to the United States.

More information on requirements for the Visa Waiver Program can be found at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/tempvisitors_novisa_waiver.html*.
  • Many countries no longer accept hospital-issued birth certificates as acceptable documentation.
  • Minors traveling outside of their country of residence without both parents/guardians may require additional documents. For additional details see www.aa.com/children.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizens require a valid passport for travel to Costa Rica.
  • Passports issued by countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (see below for more information) must contain digital photographs. However, anyone issued a machine-readable passport prior to October 26, 2005, will be "grandfathered in" and allowed to visit the U.S. until the passport expires. Additional VWP information* is available at the U.S. Department of State website.
  • New U.S. Passport Card is NOT valid for travel by AIR. The U.S. Department of State announced that U.S. citizens may apply in advance for the new U.S. Passport Card beginning February 1, 2008, in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. The new passport cards are expected to become available spring 2008. Note: these new U.S. Passport cards may not be used for travel by air.

2bFREEonTHEseas:

Thanks for posting that information, but you obviously have not read the more germane aspects of this thread. There has been a special passport exception for cruise ship passengers written into the law and your point 2 is no longer operative.

Since the government has created this rather bizarre exemption, many of us are wondering if special procedures are in the offering for cruise passengers who must for some reason return to the US by air.

Point 2 is very real and true - sorry if you disagree. I got this information from a RCL high ranker. I am going to leave it at that and not going to argue. I believe what I hear from RCL first and foremost.

As to Flying, that rule has nothing to do with the airlines, just land and sea border crossings. There has been no exception for the airlines with this rule. You can fly within the US and their territories, but anywhere else you need a passport - period.

Without an act of god, you will NOT GET ON A PLANE in a foriegn country to the US without a Passport or some sort of government waver (good luck) - and that is what this original question is about and if any has been able to do it. I have a sister who was not able to do it from the caribbean.

Also...

I know many of you do not want a passport or keep them locked up in fear of getting lost or taken. I would personally not rely on anyone from the cruise ships or other governments including the US when abroad for help if you need a passport to get home. This has been an issue for a fews years now and the US baiscally is telling you that is you travel abroad, get a passport and keep in on your body - copies of passport will not work except for help on getting a passport to get home. I think it is wonderful that the US has given an exception for those who cruise from US to US ports not to have one, but the US has no control on what countries the ship might port in will require, and I an quite certain that NO ONE can guarantee that they will be 100% back on that ship when it leaves. There is no guarantee that if something happens while you are on the ship and need to get off and back home without a passport - guess what - good chance it aint going to happen! (nothing is 100% of course and there are special exceptions - but don't plan on being one) I think that sums it up.

Well, I'll try.

You already have your answer.

Unless I missed a post, nobody has provided the information I seek. Please read post #1 and post #42 for clarification of what I'm asking.

One: Unless you are in the US or Territory, you WON'T be able to fly -period, the airlines will not budge. You can get a temp, but you first have to get to a consulate to get one - which was previously stated that they are not on every island.

Please see post #54, where the rule for the waiver to the passport requirement is provided. It would not make much sense for an airline to vigorously enforce the part of the rule that requires a passport, then absolutely ignore the part of the rule that allows for a waiver of the passport requirement.

Two: Most cruise ships will require passport for embarking in 2009, I know RCL is already stated this - and this will include on and off their ships at port of calls. I think most cruise lines will follow - too many rules and differences and they don't want to train thier staff to know what all the laws are - so passports for everyone who cruises and this will make it much easier for them.

This is possible, but in my opinion unlikely. I think everyone, myself included, would be most interested in seeing a reference that verifies this assertion. If RCL has already stated it, please show us where.

Three: The reason no one has given you a first hand story about how they got back to the US without a passport is because of two reasons, one - this is a new law and they were less restrictive till now and they were bale to travel with other documents, and secondly, they were not able to travel by air at all, so they have nothing to tell you except the hell they went through to get the passport in hand so they could fly!!!

This is certainly possible. However, given the preponderance of evidence to the contrary, I will patiently wait until I hear from a first hand source one way or another.

This is from American Airlines about passports.

Since this policy is most likely based on earlier versions of the rule, and IMHO, no policy can account for all exceptions, I don't believe this is particularly relevant. Since this is just MHO, I could certainly be wrong.

Theron

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPKeller viewpost.gif

I guess I should have been a little more specific... given the current situation with the WHTI, I am really looking for firsthand accounts of a cruise passenger who sailed without a passport, having to fly home early from a Caribbean, Mexican or Bermuda port.

It certainly stands to reason that if you lose your passport while traveling in a non-WHTI area (as in Taiwan), that you would have all sorts of difficulties...

But my suspicion (which is what I would like to have confirmed by firsthand, actual experience) is that there are procedures in place, or perhaps under development, that will accomodate cruise passengers without a passport who need to unexpectedly return home via airplane.

It's obvious that you won't be abandoned to become a homeless person in the Caribbean, but I would really like to learn the facts, so that we will all know and have the information available to dispel FUD. :)

Since some posters seem unable or unwilling to concede the fact that for the foreseeable future, it is completely legal for US Citizens to cruise round trip from the US within the WHTI area (Caribbean, Mexico or Bermuda) without a passport, this thread has taken on a bit of a hostile tone.

This is not at all what I intended when I started this thread; I am simply seeking to learn from a first hand account, the process or procedure that someone who finds themselves needing to fly home unexpectedly from a WHTI location must follow in order to do so.

If you have had to do this, and you can tell me the process, but you are not willing to post this information publicly and endure the flames from those who are unhappy about the law, please feel free to drop me a note. I will be happy to post your story, without your name.

I really just want to find out the truth about how this is done.

Thanks...

Theron

Everything you state is true to what you are asking, it is legal to cruise without a passport per your statement above.

BUT...you are asking about a person who tried to fly home without a passport. If you are stuck on an island and you have a passport - but not with you or never had a passport, I don't think it would make any difference except if their was a US Consulate office which can get you a passport if you never had one or they can get you a temp (whatever they call them). You still need a passport to get on an airline to get back to the US. I do not know of any exceptions unless you were flying form US to US. You could probably take a boat to a us port and go throught the process at the border crossing...

I gave you my sisters first hand experience...

As part of the RCL requiring PP in 2009, this info is from a freind who works in the admin of RCL...so you can concider it hearsay if you want...whether you travel with a passport or not has no problems with me, I was just offering some advice to what I have heard.

Seems like when the passport issue is brought up, people will do everything including kicking and screaming on why they will not get one or why they will not carry it if they have one. People need to learn to change with the times...

Everything you state is true to what you are asking, it is legal to cruise without a passport per your statement above.

BUT...you are asking about a person who tried to fly home without a passport. If you are stuck on an island and you have a passport - but not with you or never had a passport, I don't think it would make any difference except if their was a US Consulate office which can get you a passport if you never had one or they can get you a temp (whatever they call them). You still need a passport to get on an airline to get back to the US. I do not know of any exceptions unless you were flying form US to US. You could probably take a boat to a us port and go throught the process at the border crossing...

I gave you my sisters first hand experience...

As part of the RCL requiring PP in 2009, this info is from a freind who works in the admin of RCL...so you can concider it hearsay if you want...whether you travel with a passport or not has no problems with me, I was just offering some advice to what I have heard.

Seems like when the passport issue is brought up, people will do everything including kicking and screaming on why they will not get one or why they will not carry it if they have one. People need to learn to change with the times...[/quote]

Over the years I have worn out several passports and I'm sure the same is true for Theron. The intent of this thread was not to create a discussion or the merits of having a passport, but in light of the government's cruise ship passport exemption, an inquiry as to what a cruise passenger should expect if they find themselves missing the ship.

We think that if the government allows passengers to board a cruise ship without a passport it would seem logical that they would enact some special provision to aid them if they should need to return home by air.

We hope that your inside information is correct and that passports will be required of cruise ship passenger in 2009.

Seems like when the passport issue is brought up, people will do everything including kicking and screaming on why they will not get one or why they will not carry it if they have one. People need to learn to change with the times...

Thanks for your clarification. I have said several times in this and other threads that I am a strong proponent of passports myself, and am about half way through my second. I use it every time I travel.

My interest in pursuing this information is motivated completely by my personal intolerance of those with an agenda using mis-information, Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to bully people into getting a passport, when it is not required of them. Is it better to have one? Sure. But not because of mis-information or scare tactics. I don't wish to imply that is your motive, I do believe you are just trying to help. There are those who are doing this though.

I do not know of any exceptions unless you were flying form US to US.

And again... as I've stated three times now... there is an exception:

VI. F. Individual Cases of Passport Waivers (page 95)

The passport requirement may be waived for U.S. citizens in certain individual situations on a case-by-case basis, such as an unforeseen emergency or cases of humanitarian or national interest. Existing individual passport waivers for nonimmigrant aliens are not changed by the final rule.

Theron

I have been following this thread, hoping that someone would come forward with their story.

It hit me, the reason we may not have had anyone come forward. Is simply the fact, they are not able to get home and report to us. :p

I have been following this thread, hoping that someone would come forward with their story.

It hit me, the reason we may not have had anyone come forward. Is simply the fact, they are not able to get home and report to us. :p

:) Yep, they are still stuck there, laying on the beach by day, camped by the fire at night... alas, the perfect life, except no internet connection...

:D

Theron

I was thinking the same thing. Sorta like Tom Hanks in Castaway! :D

Over the years I have worn out several passports and I'm sure the same is true for Theron. The intent of this thread was not to create a discussion or the merits of having a passport, but in light of the government's cruise ship passport exemption, an inquiry as to what a cruise passenger should expect if they find themselves missing the ship.

We think that if the government allows passengers to board a cruise ship without a passport it would seem logical that they would enact some special provision to aid them if they should need to return home by air.

We hope that your inside information is correct and that passports will be required of cruise ship passenger in 2009.

Very well said :)

VI. F. Individual Cases of Passport Waivers (page 95)

The passport requirement may be waived for U.S. citizens in certain individual situations on a case-by-case basis, such as an unforeseen emergency or cases of humanitarian or national interest. Existing individual passport waivers for nonimmigrant aliens are not changed by the final rule.

This is from Section VI:

F. Individual Cases of Passport Waivers

The passport requirement may be waived for U.S. citizens in certain

individual situations on a case-by-case basis, such as an unforeseen

emergency or cases of humanitarian or national interest.\47\ Existing

individual passport waivers for non-immigrant aliens are not changed by

the final rule.\48\

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

\47\See section 7209©(2) of IRTPA. See also 22 CFR 53.2.

\48\See 8 CFR Part 212.

http://cryptome.org/dhs040308.htm

Sections 7209 can be found here: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:7Uln3kG3EUMJ:www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/07-4584_Signed_Rule_061907.pdf+section+7209©(2)+of+IRTPA&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

22 CFR 53.2

§ 53.2 Exceptions.

A U.S. citizen is not required to bear

a valid passport to enter or depart the

United States:

(a) When traveling directly between

parts of the United States as defined in

§ 50.1 of this chapter;

(b) When traveling between the

United States and any country, territory,

or island adjacent thereto in

North, South or Central America excluding

Cuba; provided, that this exception

is not applicable to any such

person when proceeding to or arriving

from a place outside the United States

for which a valid passport is required

under this part if such travel is accomplished

within 60 days of departure

from the United States via any country

or territory in North, South or Central

America or any island adjacent thereto;

© When traveling as a bona fide seaman

or air crewman who is the holder

of record of a valid merchant mariner

identification document or air crewman

identification card;

(d) When traveling as a member of

the Armed Forces of the United States

on active duty;

(e) When he is under 21 years of age

and is a member of the household of an

official or employee of a foreign government

or of the United Nations and

is in possession of or included in a foreign

passport;

(f) When he is a child under 12 years

of age and is included in the foreign

passport of an alien parent; however,

such child will be required to provide

evidence of his U.S. citizenship when

entering the United States;

(g) When the citizen entering the

United States presents a card of identity

and registration issued by a consular

office abroad to facilitate travel

to the United States; or

(h) When specifically authorized by

the Secretary of State through appropriate

official channels to depart from

or enter the United States, as defined

in § 50.1 of this chapter. The fee for a

waiver of the passport requirement

under this section shall be collected in

the amount prescribed in the Schedule

of Fees for Consular Services (22 CFR

22.1).

[31 FR 13546, Oct.

and

8 C.F.R. PART 212—DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS: NONIMMIGRANTS; WAIVERS; ADMISSION OF CERTAIN INADMISSIBLE ALIENS; PAROLE

I'll take a stab at it since this thread has got me thinking.

I do have a passport and I have a copy of the 1st two pages hidden in my luggage. I know where the US Embassy is and write down the phone and how to get there just as I would plan an excursion. We take turns watching our possessions on the beach. I haven't always taken my passport but feel much better with it in my possession.

If the ship left with my passport based on 2beFree's story I would go to the Embassy and report it lost rather than incur those fees :eek: and get a replacement.

Back to the thread - If I were in the Caribbean I think it would be easy enough to take a local boat to St. Thomas (USVI) if even by island hopping - then fly back to the US - assuming I had some ID on my person.

(For our cruise in June I already know that Speedys goes between the islands in case we get in a jam and have to catch the ship).

Mexico and Canada until June 09 would be easy enough to get yourself to a border crossing and walk across - then fly.

Bermuda- you would be stuck waiting for a passport to be issued which would probably require the same documentation initially as in the US and be a MAJOR PITA!

Waiver - you have a 50-50 shot getting a sympathetic ear and you cannot sue the government so what is your recourse if they say no? Nothing.

VI. F. Individual Cases of Passport Waivers (page 95)[/url]

This is from Section VI:

F. Individual Cases of Passport Waivers

The passport requirement may be waived for U.S. citizens in certain

individual situations on a case-by-case basis, such as an unforeseen

emergency or cases of humanitarian or national interest.\47\ Existing

individual passport waivers for non-immigrant aliens are not changed by

the final rule.\48\

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

\47\See section 7209©(2) of IRTPA. See also 22 CFR 53.2.

\48\See 8 CFR Part 212.

I FOUND THIS:

Q. What happens to US citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an accepted alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.”

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all US citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

My question is that even if you have a requirment that may meet these needs, how are you going to initiate this in some third world island with no american consulate...?

I'm glad I'm not a lawyer... could you imagine doing this all day? :)

2bFREEonTHEseas, I was unable to find the referenced section in the links you provided (section 7209©(2) of IRTPA), but I did chase down the law on the Library of Congress web site. I think we're just running in circles... I'll quote the section, and provide the previous paragraph headers for context:

SEC. 7209. TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

© TECHNICAL AND CONFORMING AMENDMENTS- After the complete implementation of the plan described in subsection (b) [which is about passports --tpk]

(2) the President may not exercise discretion under section 215(b) of such Act (8 U.S.C. 1185(b)) to waive documentary requirements for United States citizens departing from or entering, or attempting to depart from or enter, the United States except--

(A) where the Secretary of Homeland Security determines that the alternative documentation that is the basis for the waiver of the documentary requirement is sufficient to denote identity and citizenship;

(B) in the case of an unforeseen emergency in individual cases; or

© in the case of humanitarian or national interest reasons in individual cases.

It's basically saying the President (and by extension, his executive branch of government, which includes all the agencies that control entry into the country) cannot waive the new documentation requirements, except for the specified conditions, one of which is "the case of an unforeseen emergency in individual cases"... so back to square one!

I think that the reference to "section 7209©(2) of IRTPA" in the WHTI rules document is just a reference link back to the original law which started this whole thing in motion.

It may indeed come down to cherylandtk's suggestion that we write the government for clarification on how they do it in real life situations.

Is there any wonder why we have so many lawyers?? :)

Theron

I am seriously not trying to tell people how to travel, but with this ongoing thread on passorts and flying and "what if I have to fly without one" is really getting limited to null results...I would hate to be the one stuck on some caribbean island trying to solve this because I need to get home. Bad enough if you have a passport not on your body and trying to fly, but if you actually have no passport and trying to get home...that is a huge what if...and I think a delay.

Someone made a good point about knowing the island transportation systems like ferrys and other means of transportation and getting back to a more normal island lke the USVI...etc...if possible!

I am not going to post anymore on this subject. I just want everyone to have a safe journey and no hickups in their travel. Do yourself a favor and get a passport and keep it with you while abroad and on your person while at ports if your cruising.

I FOUND THIS:

Q. What happens to US citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an accepted alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.”

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all US citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

My question is that even if you have a requirment that may meet these needs, how are you going to initiate this in some third world island with no american consulate...?

That is interesting... but my first thought is that a cruise ship passenger returning home because of an emergency would not fall under the classification of "the general public". The first paragraph doesn't say anything about which government official must make that determination. The reference to the CBP officers in the second paragraph is clearly related to "secondary screening" which applies to "the general public".

I think the difference is that I'm trying to see a hole, and you're trying not to! ;)

Theron

Since some posters seem unable or unwilling to concede the fact that for the foreseeable future, it is completely legal for US Citizens to cruise round trip from the US within the WHTI area (Caribbean, Mexico or Bermuda) without a passport, this thread has taken on a bit of a hostile tone.

Theron

I think the difference is that I'm trying to see a hole, and you're trying not to! ;)

Theron

Ok. I have read the entire thread twice and now I think I get it. You are thinking or hoping that this clause/waiver will get someone or you out of obtaining a passport permanently ("foreseeable future")?

Doesn't the passport requirement change eventually for all forms of travel with the exception of children? You would then be denied boarding at embarkation in the US.

We think that this discussion primarily concerns cruise passengers on voyages to countries that do not require passports for entry.

From what we read with your posting is that the waiver would be considerered by CPB officers at the point of entry back into the USA. This, of course, would satisfy needs of those passengers, debarking the ship whose passport had been lost or stolen but not necessarily those passengers who were left in a foreign port.

It most cases it is not the local government that is preventing you from flying back to the USA sans a passport. It is the airlines, afraid of hefty fines, who don't want to accommodate you without some type of prior clearance.

Certainly, the cumbersome process of traveling to a US embassy would not be appropriate for a cruise passenger who had left the sailing because of a serious accident or illiness. Quite possibly they could not get to an embassy.

Having a US citizen die on foreign soil because red tape prevented them from getting to proper medical treatment would not bode well.

Like Theron, we suspect that there must be some type of protocol involving the cruise line, the port agent, the airlines and US Immigration. The ship had to submit a copy of its final manifest before it sailed from the US so the Immigration authorities know who was onboard the ship. It seems that should be a procedure for the airlines to get the OK.

Ok. I have read the entire thread twice and now I think I get it. You are thinking or hoping that this clause/waiver will get someone or you out of obtaining a passport permanently ("foreseeable future")?

Doesn't the passport requirement change eventually for all forms of travel with the exception of children? You would then be denied boarding at embarkation in the US.

Wellllll...... actually, no not at all. Read through this thread: BIG BIG Passport News, and you'll see what is motivating the question I asked here.

Theron

LOL, I think I just heard a thud as the OP began banging his head against his keyboard.

Frustrating, huh?:D

No, the central point of this discusssion is that the US government recently created a permanent (what ever that means) passport exemption for US citizens taking cruises that begin and return to the same US port.

Our concern questions what mechanism is available to passengers, who were allowed to cruise without a passport, who need to return to the US by air.

Most of us agree that it is wise to have a passport. Also, we are not aware of a passport exception for children. Is that something new that we have missed?

We think that this discussion primarily concerns cruise passengers on voyages to countries that do not require passports for entry.
But after 06/09 you won't get out of the US because they know you wouldn't be allowed back in - correct? Doesn't that make this debate moot?

It most cases it is not the local government that is preventing you from flying back to the USA sans a passport. It is the airlines, afraid of hefty fines, who don't want to accommodate you without some type of prior clearance.

Certainly, the cumbersome process of traveling to a US embassy would not be appropriate for a cruise passenger who had left the sailing because of a serious accident or illiness. Quite possibly they could not get to an embassy.

Having a US citizen die on foreign soil because red tape prevented them from getting to proper medical treatment would not bode well.

Like Theron, we suspect that there must be some type of protocol involving the cruise line, the port agent, the airlines and US Immigration. The ship had to submit a copy of its final manifest before it sailed from the US so the Immigration authorities know who was onboard the ship. It seems that should be a procedure for the airlines to get the OK.

I thought of a medical emergency and I think that may get you a waiver but I seriously doubt there is any protocol or procedure in place.

And something you are not thinking of is airlines won't even let you on with a fever - you claiming a medical emergency isn't going to help your case. They wouldn't risk an in-air medical emergency even if you had a passport.

Archived