Diving in St Thomas

ezmack

Has anyone used stthomascruiseexcursions.com to book dives in St. Thomas? Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No but I did use http://www.admiraltydive.com/ and was pleased they run smaller boats with fewer divers so it's not the cattle boat mentality. They picked me up right at the pier and drove me to their boat at the marina. Dives were great

I have booked with them in April, But through these boards found the dive shop that they will be taking me to. So I cancelled and booked direct. This is a 2 tank shore dive at Coki Beach. The cost was $10 less, since the dive shop gives you a $10 credit for the taxi. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the input. I fouund out that the tour provider is actually admiralty dive. They offer an a 2 tank wreck/reef dive for all level divers, including discover scuba. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the input. I fouund out that the tour provider is actually admiralty dive. They offer an a 2 tank wreck/reef dive for all level divers, including discover scuba. Thanks again.

You should have a good time. I've gone with Admiralty. They do a nice job.

We've also used Blue Island Divers because of their convenient pickup at the end of the cruise ship dock. Good experience with them.

We also have used and enjoyed them several times. I think the next time we go to ST, we will try St Johns though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Chris Sawyer's Dive shop out of Red Hook 3 times and am heading back in May. The shop is farther from the pier, but closer to the better dive sites and St. John. He also caters to the cruise diver with a 9:00am 2 tank and a 1:30 1 tank, both leave plenty of time for shopping and the beach. No cattle boats either.

I did 4 dive with Coki Beach Dive Club and was the only diver on three of them. They were all shore dives. I had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to dive with them again.

here is my daughters review of her st. thomas dive last monday

St. Thomas

Blue Island Divers

DiveMaster: Paul

Kennedy Wreck, max depth 62 ft

Overall: Negative experience, would not recommend.

I’ll start with the good (because there isn’t much). The booking process was flawless. They returned my email right away and were very organized while I was making my reservation. On the day of the dive, they picked me up right on time and right where they said they would be, they had even provided a little map.

Before I get into the negative, I will say I take 25% of the blame of why things went wrong…but I am very inexperienced with boat/ocean dives. I place 25% of the blame on Leisurepro, and give 50% of the blame to Blue Island Divers

I was the only one diving off the cruise ship so the other divers (approx 10 or so I think) were already on the boat…a fairly small boat. I set up my gear on the way during the rocky ride. Paul the DiveMaster stopped me only to have me sign the waivers, not to ask if I needed any help. I told him I was a fairly new diver and I that I hadn’t dove since September, and only had 6 ocean dives…he just said, “ok”. After the somewhat lacking pre-dive brief which was given just as I finished setting up my gear, I realized I hadn’t been buddied up. I should have realized this earlier, yes…but like I said I don’t ocean diving much. In the quarries I find a buddies (friends or through scubaboard) well before I even leave the house, so it isn’t something that occurs to me as I’m gearing up. Paul was off doing…?...something so I say to the Captain, “I don’t have a buddy, should I just buddy up with the DM?” He says “sure”. I assumed he would mention this to Paul, he didn’t…again I realize I shouldn’t have “assumed” that the dive op would actually communicate or care that I didn’t have a buddy.

People start jumping in the water (which was rough) and I was the fourth one in. I asked the captain to hand me my camera once I was in. I do my giant stride and there is no one watching to make sure it went ok. I look back expecting to have my camera handed to me but the captain wasn’t there. The female diver had gone down the line in the front of the boat, two male divers went down the line in the back. I don’t remember hearing which line I was supposed to go down so I didn’t know what to do. I also thought the DM would be in right after me since he was my buddy. I was bobbing around in the water getting tossed around, exhausting myself trying to stay in place to get my camera. I finally get someone’s attention and take me reg out of my mouth to ask which line I am supposed to go down…in the process swallowing a bunch of water. I’m told the line in front. Another few minutes of exhausting myself and sucking down my air and I finally get the captains attention to ask for my camera. Another minute or so and Paul (the DM) jumps in. I (out of breath) ask if he is going to be my buddy. He says “fine”. He looks down and asks me why those guys went down the back line…I say “I have no idea, they were down when I got in.” (Plus why is that my responsibility??) Obviously they didn’t give a good pre-dive brief if people were headed in all different directions. He tells me to go to the front while he gets them. So I swim to the front of the boat. I was thrown around for another few minutes and think…maybe I should descend. So I start down and immediately think “what the hell am I doing, I am a new diver, exhausted, and no nothing about this location…I can’t descend without a buddy!” So I come back up. Still all alone and freaked out. I was so out of breath and tired and I just wanted up and out of the water. I’m sure I was half way to panic. I was holding on the front line on the boat just trying to hold as high as possible so the water wouldn’t keep hitting my face (the reg was still in my mouth though). It would work but a wave would pull the boat up and yank the line out of my hand, and I would fall back into the water. After a minute or so of this I decided “eff this” I’m getting back on the boat so I started to swim back along the side…soo tired at this point. It was then that Paul showed up and tells me to come with him. We get to the front and I tell him I’ve already gone through half my air, he says “ok”.

So we finally descend. I swim around the wreck with him, and I’m the only one following him. This whole time I felt like I couldn’t catch my breath, was just shaky (not cold shaky), and my stomach was in knots. I just kept telling myself that this was just minor panic, that even though I felt like I wasn’t getting enough air…I was getting air and I was fine. Sort of like a mantra I was doing during the dive. I was also checking my air like crazy. Paul kept swimming into the wreck and I would just follow above or beside the penetration area. It was a fairly open wreck so it wasn’t “unsafe” but as such a new diver I don’t feel comfortable in an overhead environment and especially when I was already so freaked out. He signaled for me to come over and I thought he was going to show me something neat right at the entrance…but then he just swam me through one part of the wreck. I don’t think it was a good idea to bring someone with only 6 ocean dives, into an overhead environment. Luckily we were out of it in a minute or two.

Around 1000 psi I noticed that my computer was bubbling air from where the quick disconnect was. My first Oceanic Pro Plus 2 from LesiurePro broke on it’s first ocean dive. I send it back and they sent a new one…this was the new one’s first dive at all. What the heck Leisure Pro?? When it rains it pours right? I signaled that I was going up and Paul gave me the “ok” sign. I ascended slowly by myself, did my safety stop and got back on the boat with 470 psi. I was really freaked out by the whole dive, and I’m just glad it wasn’t my first ocean dive…it probably would have scared me away from all ocean diving. Luckily I know not all ocean dives are like that. Once everyone was back on board they went to the next site about 10 minutes away. No roll call or anything just a rhetorical question of “is everyone back onboard?” I had already decided I wasn’t going back in. I was freaked out and my stomach was in absolute knots…I told them it was seasickness because I didn’t feel like getting into it. I had taken Dramamine and had sea bands on so it wasn’t seasickness. I do the “three strikes you’re out” rule…if three things (or more) go wrong, I take it as a sign and skip the dive. I know it wasn’t just me though. The first girl that went in…the one that went to the front (correctly) when the other two went down the back complained that she was down there 10 minutes by herself before anyone else showed up. She said she was about to come up to see what was going on.

After the 10 minute ride, everyone jumped in for the 40 foot reef dive, no surface interval. I thought that was odd.

Other than my personal experience…the dive site wasn’t that impressive either. Not much sea life, everything was just kind of brownish. My wreck dive in St. Kitts a few days later was much better (and my wreck dive in Fort Lauderdale in September was much much better).

My wife and I spent a week in STT last summer and dove with Blue Island all week. We have been diving for over 12 years (hundreds of dives in numerous locations). We both were very impressed with Blue Island in every way. The crew was great, the sites were wonderful. They let us dive our tanks, tables and computers. We were not rushed in any way. The boat was never crowded and they stopped to pick up divers at the cruise ships each day a diver (or group of divers) were coming from a ship.

I whole heartedly recommend them!

I dove with Coki Beach Club last year. When I showed up for the 2-tank boat dive, I found out I was the only one. Peter the owner had no problem taking just me out. He was pretty good, and I enjoyed my two dives.

My brother-in-law also took a Discovery dive with them, and liked it a lot.

My wife and other friends enjoyed snorkeling at Coki Beach.

In this upcoming summer cruise, we are going to USVI again, and we're all going back to Coki Beach. This time we are staying long and I can also enjoy the beach.

We dove with Blue Island last month and I had mixed feelings about my experience with them. I probably would try them again though.

We were a bit late meeting the boat, which was my fault since I couldn’t really figure out their map of where to meet them. They did wait for us to arrive, which I appreciated, and said it was no problem. However, from that point on, I felt really rushed (and maybe it was my fault). We filled out paperwork and almost immediately pulled away from the dock (which they said they have to do). We were instructed to set up our equipment while the boat was moving, which wasn’t exactly easy. I don’t know why the boat couldn’t pause in the harbor for us to do that or why we couldn’t do that when we got to our destination.

There were only 7 divers on the boat and they did give a very good talk about their safety equipment on board. There were 5 certified divers and 2 students.

One of my big problems was the PADI instructor who was with us. We all went together on our first dive. He had one student over here, another student way over there. One student was way underweighted and spent the entire dive about 15' above everyone else. It seems like most instructors would be prepared for that and have extra weight. It seemed like he rarely turned around to check on his students. In fact, I have had divemasters with all certified divers pay more attention to the people with them.

It seemed like we were hardly out of the water when he said enough surface interval, we can do our second dive now. By the time we actually got into the water it was about 33 minutes. Thank goodness I had my computer because otherwise I would have been nervous about too short of an interval. In fact, by looking at the charts at the end of our second dive, the students would have been in pressure group W. Not a good way to teach, in my opinion.

After the second dive, I again felt rushed to get my equipment dismantled. The instructor disconnected my regulator and threw the cap on, without drying it or blowing it off. Just put that wet cap right onto the regulator. Again, something my instructor would have frowned upon.

One other thing that bothered me was the instructor or boat captain made a statement that the instructor was responsible for his students and since we were certified, we were responsible for ourselves. True, to a point, but I do think a responsible company should be responsible for any divers they take out on their boat.

All being said, I would probably try them again. I think our experience could have been a lot more positive if we just had another instructor/divemaster take us out. I wish I could remember the instructor's name; he just rubbed me the wrong way.

Sorry this is so long-

We dove with Blue Island last month and I had mixed feelings about my experience with them. I probably would try them again though.

We were a bit late meeting the boat, which was my fault since I couldn’t really figure out their map of where to meet them. They did wait for us to arrive, which I appreciated, and said it was no problem. However, from that point on, I felt really rushed (and maybe it was my fault). We filled out paperwork and almost immediately pulled away from the dock (which they said they have to do). We were instructed to set up our equipment while the boat was moving, which wasn’t exactly easy. I don’t know why the boat couldn’t pause in the harbor for us to do that or why we couldn’t do that when we got to our destination.

There were only 7 divers on the boat and they did give a very good talk about their safety equipment on board. There were 5 certified divers and 2 students.

One of my big problems was the PADI instructor who was with us. We all went together on our first dive. He had one student over here, another student way over there. One student was way underweighted and spent the entire dive about 15' above everyone else. It seems like most instructors would be prepared for that and have extra weight. It seemed like he rarely turned around to check on his students. In fact, I have had divemasters with all certified divers pay more attention to the people with them.

It seemed like we were hardly out of the water when he said enough surface interval, we can do our second dive now. By the time we actually got into the water it was about 33 minutes. Thank goodness I had my computer because otherwise I would have been nervous about too short of an interval. In fact, by looking at the charts at the end of our second dive, the students would have been in pressure group W. Not a good way to teach, in my opinion.

After the second dive, I again felt rushed to get my equipment dismantled. The instructor disconnected my regulator and threw the cap on, without drying it or blowing it off. Just put that wet cap right onto the regulator. Again, something my instructor would have frowned upon.

One other thing that bothered me was the instructor or boat captain made a statement that the instructor was responsible for his students and since we were certified, we were responsible for ourselves. True, to a point, but I do think a responsible company should be responsible for any divers they take out on their boat.

All being said, I would probably try them again. I think our experience could have been a lot more positive if we just had another instructor/divemaster take us out. I wish I could remember the instructor's name; he just rubbed me the wrong way.

Sorry this is so long-

I HATE short surface intervals. Based on these two negative reviews, I would be very reluctant to use this operator. Short SI's make me think they consider their schedule more important than diver's safety or enjoyment.

I did 4 dive with Coki Beach Dive Club and was the only diver on three of them. They were all shore dives. I had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to dive with them again.

My husband and I both dove with Coki Beach Dive Club in January. It was one of our most comfortable dive experiences. The guys were great. They set up all our gear, all we did was sit on the edge of the platform and they helped us into our BCD's and made sure all was secured and good to go. The equipment was well maintained and the integrated weights were definately a plus. We were surprised when we arrived at just how small the beach area was and that they operated out of an old delivery truck. Glad we didn't base our experience on our first impression, we would definately dive with them again.

My daughter and I just did discover scuba with them and it was great. There was supposed to be 4 of us but the other couple couldn't make it through the first skill of breathing underwater so Ed took just the two of us. Really nice reef and an easy dive. It was my 4th time and my daughter's 2nd so it's time to get certified.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a minimum, age someone has to be to dive?

Yes.

The ages are:

8-10 for Bubble maker which is a very restrictive introductory dive

10 -16 for Jr. Open Water diver which is a full certification but has a depth limit

16+ for Open Water certification with is the full deal

just curious - is St Thomas considered a good place to scuba (as opposed to other islands)

is there a 'best place' to try to learn or have a first experience?

I'd say it was somewhere in the middle as far as good places to dive in the Caribbean. It is certainly better than Jamaica.

Archived