Horizon Cruisers - Pass on your tips!

CaribbeanBound

Oh, where should I begin, my Bermuda cruise to Canada last year on the Horizon, well, it was great!

The Martini bar was great, I spent about $10,000 there, so I don't remember too much about the cruise!

The overhead light in my room leaked water, lots of water, it took two nights to fix, I enjoyed every minute of it, really, I did!

I met the Captain, he was not sympathetic, but the little guy hugged me and gave me his home address, we try to keep in touch!

It's a little ship, very crowded outside the dining room especially on Kareokee (sp?) night, I loved every minute of it!

After reading the new reviews, I could care less about the carpets, I had a fantastic time, one of the best cruises I ever pretended to be on!

CB, to be serious, we did detect a diesel smell near the midships elevator, not sure I would want a cabin in that area. We had the last cabin aft on 10. I could here chairs scrapping from above in the morning when the deck was washed. Didn't bother me, and my son slept through it.

CB...I agree with empty on the diesel smell...unreal. It was absolutely horrible during port days. Also, we were forward deck 10 port side and had the same running, chairs being moved noises. Deck 9 aft (maybe three doors down from the door) is a WONDERFUL place to hang out. Most people never discover it unless they are ping pong fanatics. I loved just watching the sea go by from that deck in the back.

Also, if you are planning a trip on the Horizon pretty far out I would go after that ONE balcony cabin. I'm not sure of the number...It is located on deck 10 aft portside.

My tips would be to get to the breakfast buffet early since the food is hot off the grill and still fresh....

and on formal nights, get to the Rendezvous Lounge (or some other lounge) about 30 minutes before the dining room doors open so you can find a good seat to relax and have a drink before dinner...(otherwise you'll be 'standing around' in a crowd waiting for the doors to open)

and if you are a sun worshiper, try to get to the pool area early (around 9AM) so you can find some good chairs....

and.....don't let rude and obnoxious cruisers ruin your vacation..... have fun.

Vic

I agree with the must do visit to the Martini Bar. Having never tried one I was encouraged to get the French matini which was WONDERFUL! I'm hooked. Also the advice to sit on the back deck was a good one. It was so relaxing watching the wake of the ship while enjoying my meal or drink. Plenty of tables and a wonderful view.

I was worried about finding a chair on sea days and although we slept in we never had a problem. People were very gracious during our week and didn't keep their chairs unless they were coming right back. It encouraged us to do the same. :)

Deck 9 aft (maybe three doors down from the door) is a WONDERFUL place to hang out. Most people never discover it unless they are ping pong fanatics. I loved just watching the sea go by from that deck in the back.
10s Nut...

What do you mean by "maybe three doors down from the door"? Are you just referring to the open area in the Aft of the ship on Deck 9 (Bermuda), or are you talking about someone's cabin?

Never smelled anything bad on the Horizon - absolutely loved the ship! (I think we were on deck 3 not far from guest relations) My favorite bar of any ship is the Admirals Cup (hope that is the right name) up top. So cozy and regal.

Hummer...Guest relations is on deck 5 midship...where I smelled the worst fumes was aft on deck 4/5.

Carib....What I meant was...book a cabin NEAR the door on deck 9...but not TOO near. You don't want to hear the door or the ping pong tables! Then you can use deck 9 as your personal balcony! Deck 10 has the same layout but the noise from the exhausts is overwhelming. I would go for the one balcony room. But I'm sure people have caught on to it by now.

Hi, I was on the Horizon Sept,11th sailing, My parents had cabin (5117) on deck 5, they never smelled anything. I didn't either when I went down to visit with them. Believe me if there was any type smells like that my mom would have smelled them. My cabin (9072) was on deck 9 I never smelled anything on that deck either. The deck is great at the back on deck 9, like 10s nuts said its like having your own privite deck. We had a great time. The service was great. The food was wonderful. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived