Fishing in Mexican Riveria

Wildcatter

Our ship goes to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto V. My two nephews are in high school and want to go fishing. Not really interested in trolling all day with the chance of catching a marlin. Any fishing charters in any of those towns that could help us catch quantities of 5 to 10 pound fish instead of trying for a monster? Thanks in advance.

Follow this link to the Cabo San Lucas forum board on TripAdvisor (CruiseCritics parent company).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g152515-i84-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

You can just read the board if you want or by becoming a member (free just like CruiseCritic, you could even use the same screen name there as well). Once you are a member, you can ask questions. Avid fishermen like "Yachtmerchant" (who now lives there) or "fish4brains" will give you all the information you need.

Note, this information is just for Cabo. TripAdvisor will also have forum boards for PV and Maz as well. You just have to look for them.

Have a great cruise.

I'm wondering this too. My DH is an avid fisherman. But, we really haven't had much luck while deep sea fishing. Maybe time of year, maybe the vendors we went with...who knows. We will be doing Mexican Riveria in August. Is fishing good that time of year? And what is our best bet as far as ports?

I'm wondering this too. My DH is an avid fisherman. But, we really haven't had much luck while deep sea fishing. Maybe time of year, maybe the vendors we went with...who knows. We will be doing Mexican Riveria in August. Is fishing good that time of year? And what is our best bet as far as ports?

Here is a link for a monthly fishing chart in Cabo. August is a very good time for fishing there (peak time for Marlin is late October I think). Be advised that it will be HOT HOT HOT in Cabo in August. For PV & Maz it will be the same PLUS you can add in some nice tropical humidity.

http://www.cabosportfishingfleet.com/fishing_season.htm

Have a great cruise. For more info on fishing, head over to the link I posted earlier and talk to some of the fishing guru's there. They can tell you the best boats to use in Cabo.

The wife and I have been to Cabo 5 time and fished 3 of those. My first trip was just what you said, troll around for hours. Then I found Redrum Sportsfishing. The are amazing!

My wife went fishing for the first time in her life and caught a 115 lb Marlin! That was on of three boated during the day and then there was the 45lb Dorado!

Redrum is a first class group and will not let you down. They will ask you what you want to catch and tell you what is biting. Give them a try you will not be dissappointed.

www.redrumcabo.com

Davo

We will be in Cabo in June. Just wondering how long you were able to spend out on the boat fishing? Our ship will be in port for about 9 hours, but of course, with Cabo being a tender port we have to take that time getting on and off the tender boats in to consideration. Does RedRum offer half day excursions as well as full day? We have never done any deep sea fishing (just fishing from lakes or streams) and think that this would be very exciting to do - especially if we caught something REALLY big.

LadyLeo

Send Luis a message via the Redrum website, He will be happy to answer all of your questions. Before my first trip with them I must have sent him 20 questions.

There is nothing like reeling a big stripe marlin or dorado!

Davo

I just returned from the Dawn Princess and used Captain Kidd bottom fishing. We had a great time for only $58.50 per adult. You can see their boat at Puerto Vallarta tours 1-866-217-9704. After we fished in the morning, my wife and I walked across the street and had lunch and used the pools at the fabulous Westin Puerto Vallarta. We had a great day!

Davo;

I have already emailed Luis with my numerous amount of questions. He was very quick to respond with the answers that I needed to know. He even said "if you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask". I was very impressed, so. . . needless to say, we will be going out with them for our fishing adventure. Can't wait!!!

Thanks for the info.

Trudy

The wife and I have been to Cabo 5 time and fished 3 of those. My first trip was just what you said, troll around for hours. Then I found Redrum Sportsfishing. The are amazing!

My wife went fishing for the first time in her life and caught a 115 lb Marlin! That was on of three boated during the day and then there was the 45lb Dorado!

Redrum is a first class group and will not let you down. They will ask you what you want to catch and tell you what is biting. Give them a try you will not be dissappointed.

www.redrumcabo.com

Davo

What do you do with it? :confused: I'm sorry if its a silly question but how do you get it home on a cruise ship? Of course, I love to eat fish but being on a cruise makes me question where you'd put it. My DD's BF is the Captain of a charter fishing boat in CA. He LOVES to fish all the time. We will be on the Panama cruise in January and there are many stops on the way. I'd love to tell him of some interesting places to fish. BTW we have never had so much lobster, red rock cod, tuna, etc. as we have in the last 2 years. ;) So if we don't get lobster on our upcoming cruise, that's ok:p

What do you do with it? :confused: I'm sorry if its a silly question but how do you get it home on a cruise ship? Of course, I love to eat fish but being on a cruise makes me question where you'd put it. My DD's BF is the Captain of a charter fishing boat in CA. He LOVES to fish all the time. We will be on the Panama cruise in January and there are many stops on the way. I'd love to tell him of some interesting places to fish. BTW we have never had so much lobster, red rock cod, tuna, etc. as we have in the last 2 years. ;) So if we don't get lobster on our upcoming cruise, that's ok:p

For most game fish (Marlin, Swordfish, etc.), it is considered proper to "catch & release". For some of the other's there are restaurants in Cabo that will cook your catch for you (if you have time).

For most game fish (Marlin, Swordfish, etc.), it is considered proper to "catch & release". For some of the other's there are restaurants in Cabo that will cook your catch for you (if you have time).

I understand now. But I guess you'd take a picture first and then release? Or else who would believe the size:D

I understand now. But I guess you'd take a picture first and then release? Or else who would believe the size:D

But if your camera batteries died (through no fault of your own) then they would just have to take your word for it.

An honest to goodness, this is no s _ _ t, it really was THIS BIG.

All fishermen/women believe each other's fish stories. It's the code.

But if your camera batteries died (through no fault of your own) then they would just have to take your word for it.

An honest to goodness, this is no s _ _ t, it really was THIS BIG.

All fishermen/women believe each other's fish stories. It's the code.

LOL I love hearing all the fish stories from my customers (I'm a waitress). I sometimes see pictures though to prove it.:D

When we went fishing on a land based trip to Cancun, our ship captain offered us the option to taxi-dermy our catch. It wasn't cheap. We caught a huge barricuda and it being our first real vacation, we splurged. I worried it would never get shipped, but it did. It now hangs above our bar, which my dh has decked out in a whole fishing kind of theme....fish net on the walls above the cabinets to ceiling, old antique fish buckets/lures; a canoe shelf on the wall, etc...so you might ask your vendor about taxidermy options if you want to splurge!

What do you do with it? :confused: I'm sorry if its a silly question but how do you get it home on a cruise ship? Of course, I love to eat fish but being on a cruise makes me question where you'd put it.

Not a silly question at all! We totally support catch and release of all bill fish! You are allowed to keep one bill fish per boat, per day.

Now Dorado, Tuna etc., we would bring home! The only time we have fished in Cabo we were staying there for a week, so Redrum would freeze our catch and I would pack in a cooler for the trip home on the plane. We would keep some fish out for dinner of course. I don't know what you would do on a cruise. Maybe someone else would be able to answer this one.

Have a great time Trudy! Oh I almost forgot we always fish with Omar on the 28ft. ReelRum. Make sure you let me know how it goes! Tell Luis Davocabo from Tripadvisor said hello! :D

Dave

Dave;

I will certainly tell Luis hello for you! I have asked him a million questions thru email, so plan on talking with him on the phone in the next day or so to finalize our fishing trip. Can't wait to get there!!! Thanks for recommending them.

Trudy

Dave;

Thanks for the great photos from your fishing trip in October. It is still 91 L-O-N-G days until we are in Cabo. Hope that we have some of your luck and catch some nice fish, too. My husband doesn't even know that he's going fishing yet as I want it to be a surprise for him. He will be so excited when he finds out, as he loves to fish and has always wanted to go deep sea fishing, but has never had the opportunity to go. I hope that I can keep the secret for 3 months!!!

Trudy

Trudy

Whatever you do, don't forget to take something for Motion Sickness!!! Nothing messes up a good day on the water more! On our last trip our two friends didn't do to well around lunch time.;) They did end up sticking it out.

Have a great trip. I will be looking for a report.

Take Care

Dave

You can usually donate it. We'll be in Cabo for a day on a cruise on April 8th. We are going out fishing with El Budster and will be donating any fish we catch to the local foodbank that they work with. The foodbank feeds about 20 families.

I've also read online that you can donate it to orphanages or senior citizen homes.

You can usually donate it. We'll be in Cabo for a day on a cruise on April 8th. We are going out fishing with El Budster and will be donating any fish we catch to the local foodbank that they work with. The foodbank feeds about 20 families.

I've also read online that you can donate it to orphanages or senior citizen homes.

That's a great idea!:D Being able to enjoy something and feed the hungry at the same time......Priceless.

Hi Dave;

Thanks for the advice about taking something for motion sickness while out on the boat!!! If anybody, it would probably be me that would need it.

I will be happy to report in when we get back and let you know how we did. I'm hoping that we have a good fish story to tell. I'll be taking photos, so I will include those, too.

Thanks for all of your help.

Trudy

Archived